HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 3:47 PM

In the photo of the shell after the fire damage, there's a single story addition which has some unique architectural elements. Is there a photo of the building intact with this single floor addition?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
In the photo of the shell after the fire damage, there's a single story addition which has some unique architectural elements. Is there a photo of the building intact with this single floor addition?
That was the only photo I recall seeing with this single floor addition, but I'm always looking.

In the meantime, here's another pic showing it before the addition, from 1869:

https://novascotia.ca/archives/Notma...ves.asp?ID=398

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 5:13 PM

I just read this interesting blog about fire and rebuilding in 19th century Halifax. Worth taking a few minutes to look through...

http://halifaxbloggers.ca/noticedinn...01/fire-build/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Here is an interesting old pic uploaded by Facebook user Eric Lewis of the construction of the Ocean Terminals.

If you go to my direct link on Photobucket you can see it in full resolution.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...psysxmhvoj.jpg
Here are 3 more aerial shots from 1931:

https://novascotia.ca/archives/mccul...ives.asp?ID=72

https://novascotia.ca/archives/mccul...ives.asp?ID=74

https://novascotia.ca/archives/mccul...ives.asp?ID=75

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 7:43 PM
armchairitect

I wrote a Bit about the construction of the Ocean terminals over at BuiltHalifax.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
I wrote a Bit about the construction of the Ocean terminals over at BuiltHalifax.
I had seen it before but just revisited and took in some info that I hadn't retained from the first time around.

Very cool stuff! Thanks very much for sharing!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 4:35 AM
we built this city

40 years later, and we're finally in the second gen of downtown development.

Le centre ville d'Halifax vu du pont Angus L. Mcdonald (1974) by Gaetan_M, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post

Le centre ville d'Halifax vu du pont Angus L. Mcdonald (1974) by Gaetan_M, on Flickr
Fascinating photo that, if you go to the original site ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/martig...ream/lightbox/ ) and click on the pic, comes in at an incredible resolution. The changes in that time are remarkable. All of the structures in the foreground on Barrington are gone, Bedbug Towers have been finished, fallen into disrepair and then painted, Cogswell Tower has been finished, and of course the rail lines are gone. So much more when you look towards the downtown too. Lots has happened in the 40+ years since this was taken.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Fascinating photo that, if you go to the original site ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/martig...ream/lightbox/ ) and click on the pic, comes in at an incredible resolution. The changes in that time are remarkable. All of the structures in the foreground on Barrington are gone, Bedbug Towers have been finished, fallen into disrepair and then painted, Cogswell Tower has been finished, and of course the rail lines are gone. So much more when you look towards the downtown too. Lots has happened in the 40+ years since this was taken.
I looked at that in detail, Keith. Interesting, it looks like Cogswell tower was steel beam construction?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I looked at that in detail, Keith. Interesting, it looks like Cogswell tower was steel beam construction?
Sure looks that way. I found it interesting that there appeared to be a freight handling facility at the terminus of the rail line on what is now Dockyard property - from the blue-painted trucks I would guess CP Rail freight. I wonder what the tanker cars were there for though?

Also interesting to see ghosts of abandoned rail lines just up the hill from the ones that were still in use, grassed-over but visible, aimed in a direction roughly parallel to the rerouted southern stretch of Barrington at Ocean Towers.

Last edited by Keith P.; Mar 19, 2016 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 5:05 AM

Amazing photo. When was Barrington extended up to the bridge? Until now I always just assumed that was done at the same time the bridge opened, or shortly thereafter.

I know the extension of Barrington replaced an older street called "Lockman Street". Is that the street roughly in the centre of the photo?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Amazing photo. When was Barrington extended up to the bridge? Until now I always just assumed that was done at the same time the bridge opened, or shortly thereafter.

I know the extension of Barrington replaced an older street called "Lockman Street". Is that the street roughly in the centre of the photo?
Barrington Street is there in the photo, as it is now. It curves away in front of Ocean/Brunswick/Bedbug Towers. It runs to the right of the houses in the foreground, which have been replaced by a sea of parking outside of HMC Dockyard and "Valour Way" (that road that runs along the security fencing). For a long time there was a strip of woodland as well, but this has mostly been replaced by the current access ramp from Barrington to the MacDonald. The ramp was built when the MacDonald was converted from a 2-lane to a 3-lane bridge around the year 2000. Prior to that, drivers leaving downtown via Barrington had to access the bridge by making a left turn onto Artz street, then merge with traffic on Brunswick to make a right hand turn onto the bridge. It was a terrible rush-hour bottleneck.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Barrington Street is there in the photo, as it is now. It curves away in front of Ocean/Brunswick/Bedbug Towers. It runs to the right of the houses in the foreground, which have been replaced by a sea of parking outside of HMC Dockyard and "Valour Way" (that road that runs along the security fencing). For a long time there was a strip of woodland as well, but this has mostly been replaced by the current access ramp from Barrington to the MacDonald. The ramp was built when the MacDonald was converted from a 2-lane to a 3-lane bridge around the year 2000. Prior to that, drivers leaving downtown via Barrington had to access the bridge by making a left turn onto Artz street, then merge with traffic on Brunswick to make a right hand turn onto the bridge. It was a terrible rush-hour bottleneck.
If you look closely at the photo you will see a Gulf service station, now long gone, just north of Bedbug Towers, then north of that a little ways an old house with a single 2nd-floor dormer on the corner of Barrington & Artz St. That house still exists and has been upgraded over the years:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.65796...7i13312!8i6656

The fact that Halifax drivers tolerated and accepted the Barrington/Artz/Brunswick rush hour bottleneck for nearly 50 years speaks volumes about the lack of thought given to our obsolete street network in this town.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 11:56 AM

Wow, the waterfront is really different without Purdy's Wharf!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Great photo. Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 1:32 PM

By the way, there are a few other pics of 1974 Halifax in this person's album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/martig...57632417839554

Check out this one of the downtown from Citadel Hill:

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 3:19 PM

Interesting to see only half of the Centennial building and that taller section on the provincial building on Barrington. Had no idea that ever existed.

And look at that god awful paint job on what is now the AleHouse!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 3:27 PM
Fizzix geek

and rooftop parking on the Herald building!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 6:40 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Interesting to see only half of the Centennial building and that taller section on the provincial building on Barrington. Had no idea that ever existed.
its mostly still there. its been changed.
The Stub along prince street is pushed back from the edge, so it makes up a 7th floor for Storage and Mechanical, (Which extends to the tower portion) and the 8th floor (in the tower) houses a generator, and appears slightly shorter.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 5:33 PM

Quote:
If you look closely at the photo you will see a Gulf service station, now long gone, just north of Bedbug Towers, then north of that a little ways an old house with a single 2nd-floor dormer on the corner of Barrington & Artz St. That house still exists and has been upgraded over the years:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.65796...7i13312!8i6656

The fact that Halifax drivers tolerated and accepted the Barrington/Artz/Brunswick rush hour bottleneck for nearly 50 years speaks volumes about the lack of thought given to our obsolete street network in this town.
Just North of the corner house is a house that was on North St. (west of Camille's) that was moved to Barrington when the ramp from Brunswick to Barrington was built. Victor Hugo's daughter Adele lived there for a time. After the house was moved it was basically gutted inside. http://halifaxmag.com/features/50-mo...about-halifax/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos