HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Yeah, I agree. This may contradict some rule they have about getting lowest bidder, but IMHO they should give first dibs to Stillwell, as they did the work and made it happen, and it turned out to be popular and thus successful under their guidance.

I'd be very disappointed if this ended up being yet another fish and chip joint or beavertails or some such crappy 'touristy' vendor.
They were planning to have the successful bidder selected by Dec 18th, and the agreement in place Jan 2016; any news?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 6:30 PM

The Stubborn Goat Gastropub won the bid for the Summit Amphitheatre beer garden space.

Source

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post
The Stubborn Goat Gastropub won the bid for the Summit Amphitheatre beer garden space.

Source
Typical Nova Scotia Government.

Bar Stillwell innovates, comes up with the idea, and then spends the money and takes on all the risk, and through innovation and risk establishes proof of concept and then they lose the bid.

Absolute total BS. Waterfront Development Corp also won't release the basis for their decision. What are they hiding?

Again, classic Nova Scotia: never reward innovation and then decisions done in secret, backrooms, hidden from view. Because Trust Us (tm).

Last edited by counterfactual; Feb 18, 2016 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 4:48 PM

It's my understanding that Stillwell was granted that space without there being a public bid for it, which isn't allowed, and so this year a public bid was introduced and other businesses, including Stillwell were able to bid on the space, and it was ultimately given to the Stubborn Goat.

Seems to me like this is fair in the long run, and Stillwell have the government to blame for their error.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post
It's my understanding that Stillwell was granted that space without there being a public bid for it, which isn't allowed, and so this year a public bid was introduced and other businesses, including Stillwell were able to bid on the space, and it was ultimately given to the Stubborn Goat.

Seems to me like this is fair in the long run, and Stillwell have the government to blame for their error.
There wasn't a tender originally, because no one believed it would be successful. Stillwell's spent the summer spending big, investing, to establish proof of concept.

Through their own innovation, hard work, and investment, they created a massive increase in value for that area. And their reward? The Government gives the contract to someone else.

You also cannot say it was "fair" because we have absolutely no idea how the criteria was applied and what method of evaluation was used. They have not released the basis of the decision.

I'm sure it was "fair" just like the bogus tendering process for the Imagine Bloomfield, which was obviously rigged for the Provincial Bid as it placed a disproportionate weight on "financial backing" which meant the provincial gov backed Housing NS bid that had zero vision, zero compliance with specifications, won anyways because it (obviously) had the most financial backing vs private sector firms.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 5:10 PM

The problem was the naivete of the people who run Stillwell. They had an opportunity last year to negotiate more than a one-year trial. This they either never thought of or otherwise failed to accomplish. It is unfortunate that they lost their ability to use the spot, but they have only themselves to blame.

Having said that I am not a fan of the Stubborn Goat and I think there is a good probability they will devolve the experience into a tourist trap.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The problem was the naivete of the people who run Stillwell. They had an opportunity last year to negotiate more than a one-year trial.
Did they? Do you have 'insider' information?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Did they? Do you have 'insider' information?
Only that they approached WDC originally with the entire concept. They should have insisted on more than one year.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 7:58 PM

Quote:
The problem was the naivete of the people who run Stillwell. They had an opportunity last year to negotiate more than a one-year trial. This they either never thought of or otherwise failed to accomplish. It is unfortunate that they lost their ability to use the spot, but they have only themselves to blame.

Having said that I am not a fan of the Stubborn Goat and I think there is a good probability they will devolve the experience into a tourist trap.
I get your point Keith, but it's easy to say this in hindsight, once we've seen the beer garden was a wild success.

Back then, it's highly risky to sign onto a multi-year lease of the space before you've even been able to prove the idea would be a success. Lets say the beer garden flops-- then they're on the hook for two more years of rent payments. Such a thing could sink a small biz like Bar Stillwell's.

I'm guessing the Government was unwilling to make the lease optional renewal, pending success. Bar Stillwell's has gotten screwed after investing, innovating, and taking on risks where others wouldn't.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 8:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Only that they approached WDC originally with the entire concept. They should have insisted on more than one year.
How much leverage do they have with the WDC though? My guess would be approximately zero. If that's true, the fact that the WDC did not grant them right of first refusal doesn't say much either way about how great Stillwell's management is.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
How much leverage do they have with the WDC though? My guess would be approximately zero. If that's true, the fact that the WDC did not grant them right of first refusal doesn't say much either way about how great Stillwell's management is.
I wonder if it would have been better to put on the RFP but recognize there could be two locations on the waterfront this type of thing could occur? I'm not sure if there could - but I'm sure with some work an area could have been found?

That way if Stillwell came in second they still had a chance to do something. The only thing I would have made sure was that if they had done all the work to get it operational and set up the space; that if they hadn't been successful they could remove it and put it else where. It seems to me they could have taken it apart and found another space like the library court yard or something?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I wonder if it would have been better to put on the RFP but recognize there could be two locations on the waterfront this type of thing could occur? I'm not sure if there could - but I'm sure with some work an area could have been found?

That way if Stillwell came in second they still had a chance to do something. The only thing I would have made sure was that if they had done all the work to get it operational and set up the space; that if they hadn't been successful they could remove it and put it else where. It seems to me they could have taken it apart and found another space like the library court yard or something?
Stillwell does still have a chance to do something. One of the owners was interviewed on Mainstreet a couple of days ago. They have 5 or 6 sites shortlisted for the beergarden this year (although he declined to comment on where they were). He suggested that in chasing down WDC last year with the concept, they were given a go-ahead, but knew from the start that it would have to be tendered in future if it was to continue. He was disappointed they lost the bid to WDC, but admitted they didn't put a great bid forward, and didn't seem particularly bitter about it either.

I suspect Stillwell will do fine wherever they land this summer, and I think Stubborn Goat will be a great addition to the waterfront, with a richer food selection and live entertainment as indicated in their bid.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 2:19 PM

why the hell is this in Development Rumours. It's not a Development Rumours. god this forum is stupid to read through sometimes

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
why the hell is this in Development Rumours. It's not a Development Rumours. god this forum is stupid to read through sometimes
Nothing to get upset about, but you're right in that it probably should be moved to this thread.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
Sounds like you may need to grab a beer at a beer garden and relax a bit.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:21 AM

The Highwayman, a new restaurant/bar by Dan and Ceilidh who own Field Guide on Gottingen is opening this week. It is in the former Certainly Cinnamon location. Interesting to see businesses opening in this area (there are more to come), surely in anticipation of both the Convention Centre and new developments under construction. Restaurants that have closed downtown recently are mainly offering things that are not as much in demand as they once were. Tastes change.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 9:27 AM

AllNovaScotia reports that a Spanish-themed lunch restaurant will open this spring on Hollis Street, in the Waterside Centre. It's being developed by Mexican ex-pat Eduardo Jaber Bravo, to be called Verano Food Purveyors. Bravo is quoted as saying the restaurant will focus on healthy gourmet offerings. It's set to open the first week of May.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 10:27 PM

The Stillwell Beer Garden has found a new on Spring Garden Road. They will be occupying the vacant L shaped lot surrounding the eastlink building.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/halifax...rden-road.html

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 12:17 AM

My initial reaction to the renderings is that it looks cramped and pretty tacky, TBH.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 10:36 AM

Love the general idea.

If they're going for casual, I'd prefer barrels and stools over picnic tables.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment