HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

The Butterfly in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Lol well in the real world it's under construction
No, it's really not. You don't even need a building permit to excavate.

Quote:
That's actually not at all true. For example in the Canada section things are U/C once excavation begins. Unless you meant "this forum" to mean just the Vancouver section
Canada section is the ONLY section to operate that way. They are the outliers not the other way around.

Bottom line is there is no building being constructed here, a hole is being dug. This is no more construction than demolition of existing buildings on site.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
And yet if you stopped digging at any point prior to pouring the foundation, all you would be left with is an empty hole in the ground. Nobody could point to even the tiniest portion of a house. But surely if even a small part of your house had in fact been constructed, then you should have no problem pointing to that part.
Exactly.

There is a lot of work that goes into a development project that occurs after DP approval that is not construction, from demolition, to permitting, to financing, to excavation, and none of it involves construction of a physical building.

A building is under construction when the BUILDING is under construction. It's quite simple really.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
No, it's really not. You don't even need a building permit to excavate.

Huh?! The general population considers this under construction. If you don't realize that you're out to lunch

Canada section is the ONLY section to operate that way. They are the outliers not the other way around.

Bottom line is there is no building being constructed here, a hole is being dug. This is no more construction than demolition of existing buildings on site.

And no it's not just the Canada thread. Practically everywhere else on the forum people would label it u/c

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimswitch View Post
My pic today hope can do this right...
The "project" is under construction. That's how I see it

You guys fixate on the actual building. Literally. Which is fine. Just not what most do

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 9:05 PM

First of all, him is a her, my name is Maureen Hipwell and I don't hide behind any phony identity (I got booted off this site years ago so I sneaked back on using the Dimswitch name). All I ask is for things to make sense, the people putting up the money for the bldg say it is under construction and the city has given full approval, so listing it as a "proposal" is ridiculous. I like the suggestion of "approved" going between proposed and U/C.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 9:25 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
And no it's not just the Canada thread. Practically everywhere else on the forum people would label it u/c
That's not true. The main forum and most of the staff do not follow the Canadian section but the standards set 20 years ago across the internet that the under construction banner is applied once concrete is poured. SSP is an outlier that they have continued with this standard.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Apr 18, 2019 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
The "project" is under construction. That's how I see it

You guys fixate on the actual building. Literally. Which is fine. Just not what most do
How is excavation different from demolition as far as construction goes?

If excavation is construction why is demolition not?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 10:59 PM

Can someone please call me when this thread gets back on topic? Thank you. Not sure why that little word in the title is deemed so offensive.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth44 View Post
Can someone please call me when this thread gets back on topic? Thank you. Not sure why that little word in the title is deemed so offensive.
I don't think anyone is offended by people calling this under construction. But sure someone can let you know

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:

I don't think it is different. As soon as the site is fenced off and work starts the project is "under construction". Again something most people think. (Outside of the Vancouver thread)

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 11:22 PM

Seriously you'd think someone with 5,000+ posts would understand the policy in these forums has always been U/C = foundation being poured NOT hole being dug. These ones, doesn't matter about any other areas outside Metro Vancouver threads.

It's always been that way, it won't change, no point in debating it. I understand both sides of the debate but it is what it is, we're guests on these forums, live with it.

Sheesh.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Seriously you'd think someone with 5,000+ posts would understand the policy in these forums has always been U/C = foundation being poured NOT hole being dug. These ones, doesn't matter about any other areas outside Metro Vancouver threads.

It's always been that way, it won't change, no point in debating it. I understand both sides of the debate but it is what it is, we're guests on these forums, live with it.

Sheesh.
Are you talking about me? I totally know what the forums little policy is. I'm not debating that and It can be that way until the end of time and You can call it whatever you want. But To me and the general public this project is considered under construction. I don't get why people feel the need to debate my personal opinion lol

Sheesh

Anyways.... it's nice that this is under construction. It will be fun to watch

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 6:05 PM
I am the law!

Quote:

You're getting way into the specifics on a fan directed site. Each development has its own unique parameters however, from an observers point of view demolition is by and large a process that takes days over months and has not always been followed up by excavation like excavation is to construction. It's a fluid process as cities have taken steps to discourage developers from demolishing structures long before they are ready to build (e.g. temp parking lot permits) and developers are more often seeking to have their excavation permits released long before they have their building permits approved to get a head start.

My perspective is I'm trying to cover all construction across this massive nation. Coverage is excellent for the best and tallest and non existent for many others. Richmond has built more high rises than Burnaby in the last 10 years and it's only recent we see the occasional update. I'm not the only editor but, sometimes it feels that way when it comes to project updates. Groundbreakings are heavily marketed. Crane installs are not. It is what it is.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 10:35 PM

Found these original high-resolution versions of the previously seen renderings, so linking here.

Source: https://elliotfunt.ca/vancouver-pres...erfly-westbank

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 10:48 PM

Man that's a sexy building! Never seen a lot of those pics. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Found these original high-resolution versions of the previously seen renderings, so linking here.

That small apartment building to the side isn't part of this project, I think, or...?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
That small apartment building to the side isn't part of this project, I think, or...?
Yes, it's the non-market rental part of the project.

What the render doesn't show is anything next to that - but since it was drawn, 1059 Nelson has been submitted, (where the render shows trees) and Bosa's proposed twin towers on Barclay Street are also missing.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 8:13 PM

They could have integrated it better with the main tower, style wise that is

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 12:56 AM

Love how all the renders are full of sexy young white couples when in reality it'll most likely be occupied (if occupied at all) by downsized retirees or rented out international students at 6 occupants per unit.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 3:15 AM

looks good, i wonder if they tell the buyers their views are about to be blocked with the neighbouring projects.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver