HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jun 2, 2006, 9:09 AM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

Smiley, next time they have one of those meetings planned, let me know in advance so I can attend. Either you or I should go and let the ideas pour into the rooms. I hope they don't limit ideas on the next one to "what do you want to see in 5 years?".

Old Posted Jun 2, 2006, 4:48 PM
still here

NanoBison, thank you so much for getting the point that Fargo is a good place. Midwesterner just can't see to get it. I'm glad we have you on the forum.
~Thanks~

Smiley, that's really cool about the that meeting. I hope one of you (yourself or NanoBison) could go and tell all of your great ideas. If you go, some of those dreams could turn to reality. You never know. (that was pretty corny)

Midwesterner19, there are some very nice neighborhoods old neighboorhoods in Fargo. If you disagree (which you will) with that, there is a proposed company to buy these houses remodle them and sell them for more money. This could really turn the ghetto into something really nice.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2006, 6:30 AM
Honored Member

I found a really good website for the huge new Brandt development.

http://www.urbanplainsbybrandt.com

Chock full of goodies.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2006, 2:20 PM
Steel City USA

Quote:
Midwesterner19: You know I wish they did have alot of progress being made in Downtown Fargo, I wish it was vibrant. I live near downtown and believe me I try to avoid it as much as possible because it just has nothing to offer as opposed to West Acres or the 13th avenue corridor past 32nd. It seems like even the strip-mall at 13th avenue and 25th street is only half occupied also that just goes to show how this city is moving west, away from downtown.
I dont know much about Fargo. But i have heard alot of good things about it. You dont hear to many good things coming out of North Dakota these days. But Fargo and its metropolitan area are growing at really good rates. If a metro is growing at good rates like that then they must be attractive to people. Fargo's suburbs arent just growing but the city itself is too. I got curious and checked out the city of Fargo's population growth. Fargo itself is adding a little more than 20,000 people a decade. And thats good for a city its size. I bet Fargo was the one who brought North Dakota out of negative population growth. Now North Dakota is growing, at small rates. But that will change soon. With Fargo growing the way that it is.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2006, 4:07 PM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballer1708
I dont know much about Fargo. But i have heard alot of good things about it. You dont hear to many good things coming out of North Dakota these days. But Fargo and its metropolitan area are growing at really good rates. If a metro is growing at good rates like that then they must be attractive to people. Fargo's suburbs arent just growing but the city itself is too. I got curious and checked out the city of Fargo's population growth. Fargo itself is adding a little more than 20,000 people a decade. And thats good for a city its size. I bet Fargo was the one who brought North Dakota out of negative population growth. Now North Dakota is growing, at small rates. But that will change soon. With Fargo growing the way that it is.
Thank you for saying that. We needed some out-of-towner to say another good thing about Fargo.

Midwesterner, the world does not rotate around Fargo. Just to clarify!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2006, 4:35 PM
still here

I would really like to see a high-rise in downtown Moorhead. This won't happen for a while but when their downtown gets back on their feet, which they are well on their way. If they pick up the rest of the city it will be a lot more appealing to a developer. I have an idea that won't happen but its just an idea. When the population reaches...55,000 I think they need to tear down the M&H and build a Hyatt Hotel that is 50 meters tall (the same height as the Bank of the West). If Moorhead is 55,000 Fargo would be around 136,000 people alone. I believe that West Fargo will peak around 30,000-40,000 so it won't be bigger then Moorhead. I don't want West Fargo to be bigger that's just weird. Dilworth would probably be around 7,000-10,000. Not quite there yet. I believe the exact population now is 5,563 from 3,001 in 2000.

Well, if we have this many people in the metro area that means we will have more companies, attractions, restaurants, and other things that tourists and/or people on business want to have. Downtown is doing well and I think will be a decent sized business center for the area. This means more people would want to stay there. So another hotel would do well, especially a nice one. Well it's just an idea and I would like your comments (preferably not Midwesterner's)

Old Posted Jun 3, 2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest
I would really like to see a high-rise in downtown Moorhead. This won't happen for a while but when their downtown gets back on their feet, which they are well on their way. If they pick up the rest of the city it will be a lot more appealing to a developer. I have an idea that won't happen but its just an idea. When the population reaches...55,000 I think they need to tear down the M&H and build a Hyatt Hotel that is 50 meters tall (the same height as the Bank of the West). If Moorhead is 55,000 Fargo would be around 136,000 people alone. I believe that West Fargo will peak around 30,000-40,000 so it won't be bigger then Moorhead. I don't want West Fargo to be bigger that's just weird. Dilworth would probably be around 7,000-10,000. Not quite there yet. I believe the exact population now is 5,563 from 3,001 in 2000.

Well, if we have this many people in the metro area that means we will have more companies, attractions, restaurants, and other things that tourists and/or people on business want to have. Downtown is doing well and I think will be a decent sized business center for the area. This means more people would want to stay there. So another hotel would do well, especially a nice one. Well it's just an idea and I would like your comments (preferably not Midwesterner's)
Why is it all about population?, this area in alot of years has domestic-outmigration. Any new population increase would mean the birth rate would have to be amazingly high to make up for the outmigration which occured in 2005 and probubly will contiunue to do so.

I mean if its all growth in the suburban low-density areas. I think alot of the new devolopment posted are major projects set in stone they arent grandiose ideas that are probubly not gonna happen for decades.

There is no rule that once a small city reaches 55,000 people a major new high-rise hotel is gonna be built. 55,000 people is considered a small suburb of most cities.

Fargo/Moorhead is a small metro area with 185,000 people MSA and 210,000 people CMSA. Even if it were 1,000% bigger it would still have 30 metropolitan areas larger then it.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2006, 11:55 PM

But it wouldn't exactly be small-fries anymore would it ... ?

I'm bbq'n baby back ribs right now. I'll get back online after dinner and reply to a few..... Yum.....

Ribfest June 7th-10th. I'll be there every day for the lunch specials.

Last edited by NanoBison; Jun 4, 2006 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2006, 12:22 AM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterner19
Why is it all about population?, this area in alot of years has domestic-outmigration. Any new population increase would mean the birth rate would have to be amazingly high to make up for the outmigration which occured in 2005 and probubly will contiunue to do so.

I mean if its all growth in the suburban low-density areas. I think alot of the new devolopment posted are major projects set in stone they arent grandiose ideas that are probubly not gonna happen for decades.

There is no rule that once a small city reaches 55,000 people a major new high-rise hotel is gonna be built. 55,000 people is considered a small suburb of most cities.

Fargo/Moorhead is a small metro area with 185,000 people MSA and 210,000 people CMSA. Even if it were 1,000% bigger it would still have 30 metropolitan areas larger then it.
You said that you are not being negative about Fargo. You should not lie. You are the most negative person about Fargo I've ever met! Population is not everything. It makes a small percent of what a good city needs to be. A city could be the size of 2,000 people and losing people and has a good amount of affordable housing and a nice atmosphere it still can be good. With all do respect, be quiet please and say some good things about Fargo-Moorhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I have to remember that it is your opinion and this is my opinion. You think Fargo isn't all that great, I do. Sure there are some things wrong with the area, but it is not a horrendous place to live. It is your opinion.

I can't wait for you to say something NanoBison.

Last edited by F-Misthebest; Aug 19, 2006 at 6:27 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2006, 1:12 AM
Steel City USA

Quote:
Thank you for saying that. We needed some out-of-towner to say another good thing about Fargo.

Midwesterner, the world does not rotate around Fargo. Just to clarify!
Yes, i have heard alot of good things about Fargo lately. And google it up you find and read positive things about the city and its metro.

Quote:
Because population is important to local growth. If you have a raising population that means your area is attractive to out of towners. I dont know where most of the people moving to Fargo are from but it cant just be from birth rates. I mean come on over 20,000 new babies in just Fargo alone, leaving out the metro population. Yes Fargo and North Dakota have had its fair share of outmigration. But that is changing. Not only is Fargo growing but so is North Dakota. No longer is North Dakota the state that is dropping in population. States like NY and Mass. have taken that position. Here check it out. Some day i want to head to Fargo. And check this city out. With all this positive news coming out its a must see.

http://www.census.gov/popest/gallery...2004_2005.html

Old Posted Jun 4, 2006, 2:06 AM
still here

^Thank you so much that someone who has never been to Fargo thinks so highly of it. And thank you for disagreeing with Midwesterner19. None of the Fargo people are too fond of him. Join the club. But seriously, Midwesterner isn't a bad person he just has a different opinion.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2006, 6:58 PM
still here

Smiley, do you know when construction will begin on the new Menards and Home Depot in Moorhead? I was just wondering. I'm a big fan of Moorhead because I lived there for eight and a half years. I just recently moved to Horace last summer. I like it there. One acre lot, next to the Sheyenne, beautiful. Oh, and the turkeys are plentiful. Look at me with my humungous vocabulary.

I'm also looking forward to the new Qdoba and Starbucks in the Holiday Center. That development needs it.

I found out that Fargo was number two in the list of "Best small metro areas to do business in". Sioux Falls was number one and Las Crues, New Mexico was three. I just thought that was some interesting information to share.

Also, I would like your comments to what I posted previously. It is the first post on this page (10). I think it's a good idea and I would like to know what you think of it.

Smiley, would it be okay if I did a photo thread of Fargo-Moorhead as well? If not, that is just hunkey dorey. I think I would take some of the downtown, the universities, the bison, and some of the more urbanized areas too.

Last edited by F-Misthebest; Jun 4, 2006 at 7:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2006, 11:40 PM

Quote:

I'm also looking forward to the new Qdoba and Starbucks in the Holiday Center. That development needs it.

I found out that Fargo was number two in the list of "Best small metro areas to do business in". Sioux Falls was number one and Las Crues, New Mexico was three. I just thought that was some interesting information to share.
too.
I love Starbucks, they do it so much better then locally owned retailers in my opinion. Sure local places try with atmosphere, but Starbucks in my opinion has great coffee and its a good way to finish a burrito at Qdoba, although I wish they had Chipotle

I can see why it ranked so highly on being one of best small metros to business in
considering the median weekly wage is 41 dollars a week lower then Jackson (Hinds County) Misissippi (Bureau of Labor statistics). I am sure rather then paying Jackson, Mississippi or Birmingham, Alabama wages people would rather set-up shop in Fargo where the wages are lower. I mean when companies with a thousand employees can save 41 dollars a week on an employee the are gonna go to where that savings is.

Also, considering the tax subsidies Fargo gives to business I am sure with the small number of housing units here that would cause the business friendly rating to increase. I know alot of other forumers have been talking about the fact they think this city will have no problem having 5 branches of major corperations set up shop here, that would require another tax increase for subsidies.

Fargo is at a point now where the talk of the town is all about property taxes. The mayoral election about a week from now and the city commision seat elections are all about property taxes.

It looks the sales tax rate will go up a penny and a half, that would pay sales tax rates at 7.5%.

Paying an 7.5% premium on clothes purchases in Fargo as opposed to two miles away is not a way too attract more retail here.

Last edited by Midwesterner19; Jun 5, 2006 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 2:28 AM
still here

I think Fargo is a great place to do business. Even Moorhead. Before you know it there will be major headquarters in the area. I really hope some more businesses come in like IBM and create many high paying jobs for new young couples to work at. Wouldn't that be great. You and your spouse are newlyweds, your early 20's, you move to Fargo, get a good high-paying job, and buy a nice house in east Fargo by the river or in Rose Creek. By the way, Rose Creek is one of the fastest growing developments in Fargo (Midwesterner, it's in the east side. Go Figure). You could be a young, well-off, couple that lives in a hip town.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 3:05 AM

I don't believe the sales tax is going to go up after the election Midwesterner. I think people are smart enough to understand that the proposed tax from Sinner is nothing more than a work around. It won't solve problems, and in my opinion, will hurt retailers. I'm absolutely dumbfounded by that man who once ran our state. I would encourage you and tell you to encourage everyone else you know to vote NO on that measure in the upcoming elections. The state itself should be responsible for taking care of education, and lately they haven't been doing their share with K-12 or Higher Education. Even when we have a $200 million+ surplus in the coffers. Use PART of that money to lower the costs of education.

Now in terms of property assessments, I'm not all that certain on how the entire process works exactly. I'm not sure who should be responsible for it, whether its the people who live there or the developers who build there. But it should be taken care of so we can continue with growth.

Does anyone know what the mayoral cadidates individual positions are on some of these issues? I'm probably going to go with Swenson, so far based on what I've heard around town, (DON'T get me wrong, I'm going to research it before the election, just telling you now who I'd vote for if I had to choose today). Why? (Please everyone correct me on these if I'm wrong so I can tell the people I talk with the same things.... I can't believe the forum doesn't have like a table showing side-by-side comparisons...)

Well let's cover them :

J.J. Gordon : 22 years old....I don't want someone THAT young running my city. Period.

Richard Blair : 73 years old....top priority is the city's downtown skyway system...I love downtown, but that's small fries in terms of vision. He's like the Ralph Nader of the bunch.

Arlette Preston : 51 years old....makes the claim "and the city needs to cooperate with its neighbors", I thinks it's the other way around, the city needs to make sure it's neighbors don't pull the same $h1t that Horace recently pulled.

Dennis Walaker : 65 years old....LOTS of experience in the city and carried us through the flood of 97. Knows the inner workings and red tape to a T. However, I would figure someone who was worked with the city for 32 years, have the common sense not to destribute pamphlets for his mayoral runnings with the "City of Fargo" logo stamped on the front of them...Not cool. Not cool at all...

John Cosgriff : 53 years old.... 12 years on the city comission and always the guy who points out the things the other tend to ignore (including the mayor). I've seen them get into verbal (respectable) arguements and pull out the City Code to straighten it out. He stands up to developers like the Cityscapes Plan which is good, becuase he's looking out for the taxpayers. (I was initially for that plan, but after hearing him and others, I leant more towards unapproval). The con is, I think he may be TOO reserved on the developer thing and we may never get a big project in the city again if he takes the reigns. But he is on the NDSU Technology Incubators board of directors.

Finally,

Brad Swenson : 40 years old.... Some of the things he's concerned with are nothing new, GPS for Sex-Offenders, etc... but the guy is currently Chairman of the Board for the FargoMoorhead Chamber of Commerce, and also sits on the boards of the Northern Lights Council, the NDSU Alumni Association and the NDSU Research and Technology Park. His main concern seems to be job growth and higher paying jobs... "said Fargo’s economic future lies in its ability to create high-paying jobs in emerging areas of the economy."

So, when I take it into account, I think my choices would be :

Swenson
Cosgriff
Walaker
Preston
Blair
Gordon

Any thoughts? Nobody needs to slam me, like I said, I still need to do some more research on the matter. If you can convince me though to vote for someone else, please do...

On taxes, I think we should only have a 1% tax for city infrastructure, .5% for new developments (basically the fargodome tax) and then if we do elect to do another .5% tax it should be used for luring businesses to the Fargo area with encentive packages...not for subsidizing education (don't get me wrong, I think it's one of the most important things a person can have, but the state should be chipping in a little bit more...)

My Audience after reading that :

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 3:05 AM

Quote:
I think Fargo is a great place to do business. Even By the way, Rose Creek is one of the fastest growing developments in Fargo (Midwesterner, it's in the east side. Go Figure). You could be a young, well-off, couple that lives in a hip town.
Yeah, Fargo thinks its a "hip town" LOL. I am sure with all these college students who grew up on farms without a store for 60 miles think its hip.

I dont see the hipness of Fargo with a majority of people driving Ford F-350 Quad-cabs, chain restaurants and the large families like what youd expect in a state like Utah.

Yep, Rose Creek is east but south its south Interstate 94.

South Fargo (south of Interstate 94) and West Fargo (west of Interstate 29) is growing fast. I expect "Rose Creek" to be growing fast.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 3:09 AM

Midwesterner, you're last post was `everything west growing fast, everything east losing`. Rose Creek is east. Or are you going to change your definitions on this too?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBison
Midwesterner, you're last post was `everything west growing fast, everything east losing`. Rose Creek is east. Or are you going to change your definitions on this too?
"Rose Creek" is a fancy name the devolopers gave it to attract people into moving into the subdivision. "Rose Creek" is 6 miles south of downtown Fargo mainly along University.

Fargo south of Interstate 94 is growing fast, as is Western parts of Fargo.
The area North of Interstate 94 and South of 19th and West to Interstate 29 is losing population in a majority of the census tracts.

I still dont get what makes Fargo hip? I mean the chains here are the same all over, they have two bars for the primarily software engineers to hang out at, but thats doesnt make the town hip. Please tell what you think makes Fargo hip?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 3:34 AM
Honored Member

Actually Midwesterner, if you go to the City of Fargo website and look at the neighbouhood-by-neighbourhood stats for the city, you'll see that a vast majority of the city's neighbourhoods have grown in population from 2000 to 2004.

Here's a link if you don't believe me:

http://www.ci.fargo.nd.us/neighborhoods/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 3:36 AM
still here

Sure the north is losing a little people, but that's why they are trying to develop it more up there.

If you don't think this town is "hip" or "good" please, make that move you were talking about earlier a reality. I don't think Fargo needs people like you to "dis" it all the live long day. So please, start saying some good things or move away, with all do respect. All righty then.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest