HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
All right guys, can we end this little detour?
Trust us. We're sensible people!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The truth is that Quebec French would be the equivalent to Southern US English in the anglosphere.
Oh. my. goodness. Then what is Chiac and Southern Acadian French?

Personally, I would compare the dialects of French in Québec to the dialects of English throughout New England.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:16 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
All right guys, can we end this little detour?
Thanks Xelebes. Sorry for throwing in my un-needed 2-cents.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Shucks. Some of the best stuff I have written in months on here has been deleted!

Oh well...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Oh. my. goodness. Then what is Chiac and Southern Acadian French?

Personally, I would compare the dialects of French in Québec to the dialects of English throughout New England.
Something like Chiac would akin to Pidgin English I suppose.

But the colloquial variety of Quebec French is further removed from European French than New England English is from English. Hence the Texas comparison.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:27 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Well those were a rather ugly couple of pages by all parties involved. All that because someone felt that Montreal should have more high rise development. SSP at its worst.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 7:07 PM
I am the law!

WTF? Why the sudden requirement for credentials? These are my first hand experiences speaking my deteriorating Quebec French in France. You guys are funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Care to scan your diploma of French linguistics so we can all see your credentials for this statement, Snapper?

Do you even speak any French at all?

The truth is that Quebec French would be the equivalent to Southern US English in the anglosphere.

As for us being laughed at in France, we'll since we are playing that game I'll let you in on a little secret too: behind your backs, people tell us that you're Frozen Yanks all the time, indistinguishable and identical from your neighbours to the south. They know it pisses you off and that the Americans don't care, so when they're unsure if a person is a Canuck or a Yank, they ask if they're from Canada just to be on the safe side and avoid an incident.

Shhh- don't tell them I told you.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 8:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
WTF? Why the sudden requirement for credentials? These are my first hand experiences speaking my deteriorating Quebec French in France. You guys are funny.
Well, you were speaking with such assurance.

And also being disrespectful with your "laugh'" comment.

Americans and people from around the world laugh at Canadians (and English Canadians) for various reasons all the time.

That doesn't mean it's nice to rub people's noses in it. Or even relevant to a particular discussion.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 9:27 PM

Quote:
flipv, I understand that you have delurked, joined and posted, but I have to ask you to refrain from some indulges as this post was. City vs. City bashing is not cool on this forum and hoping to score some cheap points with insults and taunts is not a long-term behaviour that we condone. So please, take it easy, join in and understand the flow of this forum.
Feel free to ban me, essentially the only reason I joined is to comment on some particularly untruthful comments from Acajack and company. I'm an active poster on other (better) architecture and urban development boards.

As expected, Toronto-bashing can continue unabated, but when somebody calls out those responsible it's not helpful? Please... I don't see any reason for Toronto members to continue posting here.

Acajack: Montreal is not an urban mecca without rivals in Canada. You seem to think that producing content for a market of 7 million people makes you unique and interesting.. I don't think I need to add much more to that...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipv View Post
Feel free to ban me, essentially the only reason I joined is to comment on some particularly untruthful comments from Acajack and company. I'm an active poster on other (better) architecture and urban development boards.
Hum, you really know how to make new friends, don't you ?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 9:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

As expected, Toronto-bashing can continue unabated, but when somebody calls out those responsible it's not helpful? Please... I don't see any reason for Toronto members to continue posting here.

Acajack: Montreal is not an urban mecca without rivals in Canada. You seem to think that producing content for a market of 7 million people makes you unique and interesting.. I don't think I need to add much more to that...
I am not the one who said Montreal was an urban mecca without rival in Canada.

As for producing content for various markets, what about importing almost all of your content from another market? How unique and interesting does that make you?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 9:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
You seem to think that producing content for a market of 7 million people makes you unique and interesting.. I don't think I need to add much more to that...
Content produced for that market of 7 million has also placed a finalist for the Oscar for best foreign film for three years in a row, and also won an Oscar in the same category not that long ago. And the premiere for the Oscar-winning film was attended in Paris by the French President and other notables from Paris and France. They didn't need subtitles to follow the film BTW.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 9:41 PM

Someone get me some eye bleach for the past two pages I just read. Any skyline photo will do!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 9:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Someone get me some eye bleach for the past two pages I just read. Any skyline photo will do!
And you, don't start saying the NFL should come to Toronto and the CFL should croak... if you know what's good for you!

(Just joking... having a bit of fun!)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 10:31 PM

I'm tempted to lock this thread, but it's got a purpose so it stays open.

But enough with the petty bickering over whose culture is superior. It's quite silly. Move on.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 10:56 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
My Hamilton render is too much for my computer so I can't update it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 8:51 PM
ARTchitecture

Calgary's East Village around 2020, when the area is set to be mostly complete. The primary skyline render does not include Brookfield Place or Telus Sky, both set for completion in 2018.

Calgary 2019 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Source:
Video Link

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 9:05 PM

Eve Block is looking good. Is it inside or outside ? if it's outside, what will you do to clear the snow ?

PS: I see it's glass covered... Calgary being Canada's hail capital, I hope it's hailproof.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 9:12 PM
ARTchitecture

I'm sure they've considered that. We get at least one damaging hail storm every year. They won't be spending tens of millions on something that will be wiped out within its first 12 months.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 9:27 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Very rough massing attempt for Hamilton. Blue is under construction, green is proposed, red is floating in the unknown nether realms of planning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada