HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Its literally just an advertising gimmick, 99% of Carvana's cars get delivered directly to the buyer, they have several of these things in large metros, its essentially a big fancy billboard

Given the only other thing likely to go there was a fast food joint or gas station/ billboard I think its a way more interesting development
The backlash for this project is really undeserving IMO. The site was previously Crazy Fish Sushi (terrible unless you're 19 and want to drink sake bombs) and had an entrance so awkward that the city paid an outside firm to redesign it.

The site takes up less space than the outdated car lots that line Scottsdale Rd., which probably saved them $ on land = bigger budget for the building.

Carvana just raised the bar for future developments to the north

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:31 AM

Given its location and unique/innovative design, I can guarantee that there will be hundreds of people driving down the 202, see the tower, go check out carvana, see a car they like and make a purchase. Its a great way to advertise and the lighting at night is really cool. Seems very futuristic considering tons of large retailers are adding large vending machines outside stores for online purchases. Glass car towers will only become more and more popular.

Also once Watermark is complete, it will fit right in.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 3:10 AM

I will also add that alot of the old car lots on Scottsdale and McDowell are now multi family because the land/location is now worth more than a car dealership. Same will happen with N Tempe. So i believe the beauty of Carvana is they have a great Billboard for cars stuck on the 202 traffic and over time with less car lot compitition they will be the primo car dealership for N Tempe and ASU. Think of all those kids driving to ASU everyday and where they may buy a car.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:27 PM
BANNED

The last three posts are fawning over this like it's the Taj Mahal. I get you like the project, but game changer it is not. Seriously, what are you all smoking?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Also does anyone know what they are building on the dirt lot south of rio salado east of Priest near those existing two story office condos? Looks like they are doing some prep work?
I rode by this this morning. Couldn't tell what exactly it is. The lot has some marketing signs up, but I haven't seen anything show up for design review etc.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I rode by this this morning. Couldn't tell what exactly it is. The lot has some marketing signs up, but I haven't seen anything show up for design review etc.
For some reason I think I remember some general office/industrial space going there but I honestly cant remember, tried to search couldn't find anything.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post
The last three posts are fawning over this like it's the Taj Mahal. I get you like the project, but game changer it is not. Seriously, what are you all smoking?
Seriously, what the hell do you know? Forgive us for being optimistic.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:55 PM

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 10:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Seriously, what the hell do you know? Forgive us for being optimistic.
I forgive..your questionable taste.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciweiss View Post
The Watermark apartments are going full bore, but there is still no real movement on the office building despite the crane sitting there. I'm still doubtful that they'll actually build it on spec. Hopefully they'll be able to find a tenant.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:55 PM

Quote:
The Watermark apartments are going full bore, but there is still no real movement on the office building despite the crane sitting there. I'm still doubtful that they'll actually build it on spec. Hopefully they'll be able to find a tenant.
They started building the garage behind it. They couldn't stop construction on the tower if they weren't building the parking...they are going full spec...why do you think there are so many ads..I mean articles on its construction!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:30 PM

Yeah I posted an article like 2 weeks ago about the increase in spec construction, vacancy is down (especially in Tempe) and demand is high

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
They started building the garage behind it. They couldn't stop construction on the tower if they weren't building the parking...they are going full spec...why do you think there are so many ads..I mean articles on its construction!
Nice--I didn't notice the work on the garage. My thought process was that the articles claiming they would build spec were just advertising, getting the project in the public eye, and that they'd still wait for a tenant, but maybe that's too cynical. Glad to know it's going, I'm excited for something that's not 5-6 story apartments on the north side of the lake.

On another note, the ASU Surplus lot is fenced off and equipment is on site, looks like they're gearing up for the Broadstone apartments there.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 11:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The Watermark office portion is officially now under construction. I verified that with two of my commercial RE buddies.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 8:19 PM

New multifamily development on Broadway. 90 Units, 4 stories. Its getting a lot of pushback from neighbors due to the height of only 44 ft?? Its taking over a vacant lot on broadway and country club.

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=64638

Also Millenium at Rio Salado passed DRC on the 12th. 260 units with retail/commercial frontage.

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=64682

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 2:34 PM
self-important urbanista

Some detail on the Carvana vending machine we discussed a while back:

"The public can’t buy a car from the car-vending machine, it’s simply a fulfillment center, advertisement for the fast-growing company and a way to offer customers a unique experience when picking up their new car, said Ryan Keeton, Carvana co-founder and chief brand officer."

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...rgest-car.html

It still doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I can only hope that Carvana has done some rigorous financial analysis to determine the construction costs pay off in terms of marketing value.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post

"The public can’t buy a car from the car-vending machine, it’s simply a fulfillment center, advertisement for the fast-growing company and a way to offer customers a unique experience when picking up their new car, said Ryan Keeton, Carvana co-founder and chief brand officer."

It still doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I can only hope that Carvana has done some rigorous financial analysis to determine the construction costs pay off in terms of marketing value.
They have several already this is like their 4th or 5th one nationally

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post

This is confusing to me. My girlfriend's daughter works for Carvana(she really loves the company and atmosphere, btw) and told me last month you will be able to buy a car from that vending machine.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 5:20 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
This is confusing to me. My girlfriend's daughter works for Carvana(she really loves the company and atmosphere, btw) and told me last month you will be able to buy a car from that vending machine.
From the looks of it, you buy it before-hand and then take your token to the vending machine and out comes the car you selected. Not sure exactly how this works and where they receive the token. I also would want to test drive it first.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 12:11 AM
BANNED

The idea is as I understand it is. You find the car you want, you decide to buy it, do the paperwork and they clean it up and put it in the stupid dispenser and hand you a very large coin, then you go out there with your saleman and several other people who are "super excited for you" and they cheer and shit and then your car comes down and you drive it off happier then you've ever been. Or you can have it delivered to your home. Point is, the cars that have been sold or awaiting for someone to come get it are stored in the crappy auto tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest