HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 3:46 PM
New Brunswick booster!

From the Canadian Real Estate Association website:

"Greater Moncton home sales set new all-time record in May 2018

Residential sales in the area served by the Greater Moncton REALTORS® du Grand Moncton numbered 363 units in May 2018. This was up 5.8% from May 2017 and marked the first time in history that any monthly sales figure has surpassed the 350 mark.

On a year-to-date basis, home sales totalled a record 1,211 units over the first five months of the year. This was up 9.8% from the same period in 2017 and remains on track for a record year.

“More homes traded hands in May 2018 than in any other month in history, keeping 2018 on track to be a record year for the local housing market,” said Chris Constantine, President of the Greater Moncton REALTORS® du Grand Moncton. “With sales setting records and supply at multi-year lows and still falling, prices continue to push higher, particularly for single family home types.”

The MLS® Home Price Index (HPI), tracks price trends far more accurately than is possible using average or median price measures. The overall MLS® HPI for Greater Moncton rose 4.3% in May 2018 compared to May 2017.

Semi-detached home prices were up 5.2% on a year-over-year basis in May, while prices for single-detached properties rose 4.4%. Townhouse prices were up 4.5% compared to a year earlier while apartment prices edged down 1.2%.

The average sale price of Greater Moncton home sales in May 2018 was up 9% from May 2017. The more comprehensive year-to-date average price up 6.9% from the first five months of 2017.

While the use of average price information can be useful in establishing trends when applied over a period of time, i.e. six months or longer, the Greater Moncton REALTORS® du Grand Moncton cautions that an average price does not indicate the actual value of any particular property. Those requiring specific information on property values should contact a REALTOR®.

There were 581 new residential listings in May 2018, down 1.9% (11 listings) on a year-over-year basis. This was a five-year low for new supply in the month of May.

Active residential listings numbered 2,066 units at the end of May. This was a decrease of 11.3% from the end of May 2017 and a seven-year low for that time of the year. Active listings have been trending down steadily since peaking in mid-2015.

Months of inventory numbered 5.7 at the end of May 2018, down from the 6.8 months recorded at the end of May 2017 and below the long-run average of 7.4 months for this time of year. The number of months of inventory is the number of months it would take to sell current inventories at the current rate of sales activity.

The total dollar value of all residential home sales in May 2018 was $68.8 million, rising 15.3% from the same month in 2017. Before May 2018 no monthly dollar volume has ever topped $60 million.

Sales of all property types numbered 396 units in May 2018, up 8.8% from May 2017. The total value of all properties sold was $73.5 million, jumping 18.8% from May 2017."

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 4:06 PM

Commissioner, prospective Halifax owners meet with Moncton
Quote:
CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie and representatives of the prospective Halifax team ownership group are meeting with the Premier of New Brunswick and Mayor of Moncton Wednesday about the impact of a regional Atlantic team and possibility of playing games in Moncton while a Halifax stadium is being built.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 4:11 PM

That is promising. I don't know if the region could support it yet, but if we do have the Maritime team in Moncton for a bit while it sets down roots before going to Halifax, it might lead to a second Maritime team with a regional rivalry already baked in.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 5:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie and representatives of the prospective Halifax team ownership group are meeting with the Premier of New Brunswick and Mayor of Moncton Wednesday about the impact of a regional Atlantic team and possibility of playing games in Moncton while a Halifax stadium is being built.
https://www.tsn.ca/commissioner-pros...cton-1.1104836

Interesting.

First the CFL gets Moncton to host three Touchdown Atlantic games in order to prod Halifax into making a bid for a franchise. Now they want Moncton to serve as the temporary home of the CFL franchise while Halifax builds their stadium. This is no doubt an attempt by the league to embarrass the City of Halifax into getting off their asses and actually make a commitment towards a stadium.

I'm glad to see this renewed interest by the CFL towards Moncton, but I must admit to feeling a little used by the league..........

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

https://www.tsn.ca/commissioner-pros...cton-1.1104836

Interesting.

First the CFL gets Moncton to host three Touchdown Atlantic games in order to prod Halifax into making a bid for a franchise. Now they want Moncton to serve as the temporary home of the CFL franchise while Halifax builds their stadium. This is no doubt an attempt by the league to embarrass the City of Halifax into getting off their asses and actually make a commitment towards a stadium.

I'm glad to see this renewed interest by the CFL towards Moncton, but I must admit to feeling a little used by the league..........
you tend to get used to it.

But it is good news.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 2:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Parks Canada has just announced that Northrop Frye has been named a "person of national historical significance', and that a bronze plaque will be cast in his honour.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...678068053.html

No word yet (that I could find) about where the plaque will be placed, but I hope that it will be in Moncton and not in Toronto.........

Does this look familiar????

Yes, this is a duplicate of our own Northrop Frye bench, except this one is located on the University of Toronto campus, where he did much of his work.

My gut feeling is that the plaque will be destined for the U of T campus, but one can hope that his home town might also be in the running for this honour. A plaque on the exterior wall of the Blue Cross Centre, outside the public library and overlooking the Northrup Frye bench would be pretty ideal........

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 1:08 AM

New Centennial Park Pool to Cost 5.4 million

http://919thebend.ca/news/2115621261...ost-54-million

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:40 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Sounds like a lot of money, but reading the article, this sounds like a large and sophisticated facility.

I wonder if the new pool is being built on the Johnathon Creek floodplain? That's been a problem in the past IIRC......

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:09 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

Sounds like a lot of money, but reading the article, this sounds like a large and sophisticated facility.

I wonder if the new pool is being built on the Johnathon Creek floodplain? That's been a problem in the past IIRC......
Just answered my own question. This is from Mayor Dawn Arnold's summary of the council meeting this evening:

Quote:
awarded the tender for Centennial Beach (Marco Maritimes: $5,447,900 — this is for total replacement (up on the hill) of the 1984 facility, including construction of a new, cast-in-place concrete pool and deck and all related structural, mechanical pumping and filtration, play structures, beach house, installation of new watermain, sanitary and storm sewer systems, parking lots (with underground infrastructure to collect rain water, including a rain garden) and facility entrance, landscaping including trees, fencing, trails, furniture. The city was fortunate enough to receive a grant of $750,000 from the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) as part of their Climate Innovation Program (this was partly because we are moving the beach from a flood plain, but also because the pool house will be a “net zero” facility and will include solar panels).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Just answered my own question. This is from Mayor Dawn Arnold's summary of the council meeting this evening:
Great Project that is sorely needed Despite some maintenance having been done to keep Centenial Beach/pool open it's only getting older, and with age comes higher cost of maintenance. So the price tag can be waranted as it would potentially cost more in the long run if they din't decide to do this masive upgrade.

I just seen the Render on the T&T Today, and one thing that stands out is there looks to be a full fledged Bus Stop just before you enter the Main Parking area of the Ne Beech that seems from the Render, and wording will be between St George, and the Rottary Lodge.

Last edited by Scarface; Jun 19, 2018 at 9:33 AM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:06 PM

Great project.. taht will serve the whole city well...

I dont get the whole push for the east end pool .. its really bad spot for that pool.. its a flood plain and its a very underpopulated area...

it would serve the general tax payers better to be in north end or elmwood somewhere... its not exactly an area you can bike or walk to from sunny brae. I dont get it.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
I dont get the whole push for the east end pool .. its really bad spot for that pool.. its a flood plain and its a very underpopulated area...
It's a low income neighbourhood and the social justice activists are consequently all over this issue.

Also, it's a replacement for a previously decommissioned pool, therefore if it is not rebuilt in it's original location (or close to it), the city will be accused of taking something away from a disadvantaged neighbourhood.

I know exactly what you mean, and I don't think public works (and certain city councilors) are that much in favour of rebuilding the pool in that location, but the optics are poor, and I don't doubt the pool will get rebuilt (arguably for the wrong reasons), but that's politics..........

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here are the renders of the Centennial Park pool project:

Essentially the whole face of Centennial Park fronting on St George Blvd is going to get a makeover, including paving the parking lot and the access road to the Rotary Park Lodge, and it does appear that they are adding a bus stop in front of the pavilion for the pool. This is a major project!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:52 PM

Agreed on all points.. i think the best comprimise/better use of money here is to work with the provincial government and fund a renovation at St Pats pool(city is funding public swims here this summer), .. which can be used 12mths a year instead of 2.

Quote:
It's a low income neighbourhood and the social justice activists are consequently all over this issue.

Also, it's a replacement for a previously decommissioned pool, therefore if it is not rebuilt in it's original location (or close to it), the city will be accused of taking something away from a disadvantaged neighbourhood.

I know exactly what you mean, and I don't think public works (and certain city councilors) are that much in favour of rebuilding the pool in that location, but the optics are poor, and I don't doubt the pool will get rebuilt (arguably for the wrong reasons), but that's politics..........

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:45 PM

Quote:

Essentially the whole face of Centennial Park fronting on St George Blvd is going to get a makeover, including paving the parking lot and the access road to the Rotary Park Lodge, and it does appear that they are adding a bus stop in front of the pavilion for the pool. This is a major project!
This community pool will be a nice addition to the City. However, my family has frequented this park for years and it just seems like more and more of the park is cut down for activities. So the feel of a "Natural Park" seems to be slowly being eroded. How many extra acres of trees will be cut down to accommodate this new pool and expanded parking lots? People get excited when 3-4 trees are cut down in front of the new Hyatt Hotel but in this case, I suspect at least 3-5 acres of forested park will be cut down? Why not put this pool over on Millenium beside the Sportsdome and keep the natural park in tact?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 6:20 PM

As a kid we biked and walked to the East End pool a few times per week, all summer long, for many years. I can't see what anyone finds so difficult about that.
The place was pretty full on most days and I don't doubt it will be full once again of happy kids from the least advantaged areas of Moncton. Is there even a single decent playground in that end of town?
But no, let's spend almost $6M on a fake beach in one of the better-off areas of the city, with barely even any bus service, in a neighbourhood where just about anyone who wants a pool has only to go into their own backyards (ever fly over that neighbourhood and count the backyard pools?) plus charge the poor children admission as well.
This place is almost inaccessible for poor kids unless they can bum a drive or afford bus fare, a couple of hours of bus travel time - assuming they know where and when to transfer buses - plus the price of admission.
I'd say that eliminates most of us east-end riff-raff rather nicely. Back in the day mom and dad worked all day and couldn't drive me. I'm not convinced that has changed today, except for I'll wager there are even more parents who cannot afford a car nowadays.

The idea of fixing up St. Pat's has merit in my opinion. Good luck getting the city to do that, however.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:

Can forget that they will be fixing the Entrances/Exits Rotary Lodge to right in front of Dickson Boulavard.

Last edited by JHikka; Jun 19, 2018 at 9:23 PM. Reason: Don't need the photos copied three times on same page

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 3:46 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

A couple of interesting news releases and magazine articles came out yesterday and today:

Moncton has been selected to host the 2020 Canada Soccer Toyota National Championships U-17 Cup
June 26, 2018

Quote:
Coupe U-17 Cup 2020MONCTON – The City of Moncton, the Jeux de la Francophonie 2021 and Soccer New Brunswick reacted to the positive news issued today by Canada Soccer, confirming Moncton as the host city of the Canada Soccer Toyota National Championships U-17 Cup in 2020. The three organizations partnered together earlier this year to submit a bid to host the championships in Moncton in 2020 in the U-17 category as a test event for the Jeux de la Francophonie 2021.

Official Statement by the City of Moncton:
“Moncton is thrilled to have been selected to host the Canada Soccer Toyota National Championships U 17 Cup in 2020. This important tournament will bring elite soccer athletes to our region and serve as an essential test event in preparation for the international soccer competition scheduled as part of the Jeux de la Francophonie 2021.

In hosting this championship, Moncton is thrilled to build upon the tremendous legacy that still resonates in our community from hosting the FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015TM and the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup Canada 2014.
And then there is this:

Moncton Offers To Host CFL Team Until Halifax Stadium Is Ready
Jun 25, 2018 by Inda Intiar
Huddle Today
http://huddle.today/moncton-offers-h...dium-is-ready/

Quote:
MONCTON – Maritime Football is seeking to set up an Atlantic Canadian CFL team in Halifax and Moncton could play a role in the process. Mayor Dawn Arnold said the city would be open to hosting the team for one or two seasons while a new stadium is constructed in Halifax.

Although the city won’t bid to have the team based in Moncton, Mayor Arnold said Moncton could host a couple of seasons to help establish an Atlantic Canadian audience base before the team moves to Halifax.

Halifax Mayor Mike Savage told Huddle over the phone that if his city were to get a CFL team, “it would have to be a regional effort.”

If they need to do a regular season [in Moncton], that’s fine. I want to cooperate with any mayors in communities in Atlantic Canada that want to take part in the effort,” said Savage.

“It would show the level of collaboration and team spirit that we have here. It could be a really positive thing to help out in this way and help enable [the Atlantic Canadian franchise] to be successful,” Mayor Arnold said.

Mayor Savage said Maritime Football is looking at having the team enter the league in 2021 or 2022.

Moncton has the past experience of hosting CFL games for more than 20,000 fans. Its stadium has a capacity of nearly 21,000 seats. Talks are still preliminary, but Ambrosie and LeBlanc said some changes might be needed at the stadium to play games in Moncton.

“They did mention nicer box seats and obviously we’d have to bring in more seats and that’s doable too
,” Mayor Arnold said. “There would probably be a lot of negotiations that have to happen. No one has really been talking about money at all here so that would be an interesting conversation that would have to take place.”

Mayor Arnold said the meeting with Ambrosie and LeBlanc was “a provincial play” and not arranged by the city.
So, lets look at what's going on here:

- 2020 Canadian National U17 Soccer Championships
- 2021 Jeux de la Francophonie (a French version of the Commonwealth Games)
- 2021/2022 Potential for one to two seasons of CFL football while the Halifax stadium is to be constructed.

All three of these events would require use of the Moncton Stadium, with the latter two events likely requiring an expansion of the facility. In particular, the offhanded comment from Mayor Arnold about bringing in more seating as well as "box seats" is intriguing. One doesn't usually do box seats as a temporary feature to a stadium. If the city, province and the feds might be prepared to do a substantial expansion to the facility, what could this mean for the city down the road?

I doubt a Moncton CFL franchise is in the offing anytime soon, but the Canadian Premier League (soccer) could be a possibility for the city. The Moncton Stadium is already big enough for a CPL team. All it really needs is box seats,more permanent washrooms and concessions (along with an interior concourse underneath the eastern stands).

One wonders if there isn't something suddenly afoot here.........

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:
I doubt a Moncton CFL franchise is in the offing anytime soon, but the Canadian Premier League (soccer) could be a possibility for the city. The Moncton Stadium is already big enough for a CPL team. All it really needs is box seats,more permanent washrooms and concessions (along with an interior concourse underneath the eastern stands).
If the Canadian Premier League does as well as they expect, there should certainly be a team in Moncton in the short/medium term. The question, however, is whether this team would be a part of the main/first division, or if they'll start in the proposed second division, which would be part of a promotion/relegation system.

If this temporary CFL deal happens, it should be an absolute priority to get rid of the track and move the east stand much closer to the pitch. The distance from the front row to the pitch is quite frankly obscene, good luck selling premium season tickets with that sort of view.

The opposite (west) stand on the other hand is workable as it is now, aside from washrooms/concessions obviously. They'd simply need to fill it in by adding 5-6 rows of seating where the track currently sits in front of the existing stand, along with pitchside club seats/tables.

Last edited by SevenSquared; Jun 28, 2018 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 12:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

International Immigration is Booming in Greater Moncton

Some interesting notes from an article in the T&T today about how well Moncton anglophone schools are doing in retaining recent newcomers to the city.

- the Anglophone East School Board fully expected to lose over 1/3rd of Syrian refugees to larger cities in central Canada within the first couple of years of their arrival. Instead, the retention rate of Syrian refugee children in the anglophone school system in Moncton has been 90%.

- 18% of the school board's students are ESL (English as a second language) learners. The rate of ESL is highest in schools closer to the core of the city. Edith Cavell has more than 50% ESL.

- There is an International Welcome Centre at Queen Elizabeth School, which allows the school board to determine what it needs to do to help new international students adjust. In the last year the centre registered 650 new school applicants.

- at 453%, metro Moncton has seen the third highest rate of increase nationally (in the last five years) in new international immigrants. There are now immigrants from over 100 countries in greater Moncton.

The countries supplying the most immigrants to Anglophone School Board are:

1) - Philippines
2) - Syria
3) - China
4) - Viet Nam
5) - Nigeria
6) - South Korea
7) - Israel
8) - United States

Personal note - Diagnostic radiologists are involved in screening newcomers with chest radiography to exclude TB or other dangerous conditions. It was my turn last week to do so. I screened 24 new immigrants. I have no reason to believe that last week was an unusual one in terms of workload. If 24-25 new immigrants per week is the norm, then this works out to 1250 new immigrants to the greater Moncton area per year. I think this would jive pretty well with the Anglophone East School Board welcome centre registering 650 newcomers (children) per year.

I'm sure there are many other francophone immigrants not being accounted for in the above T&T article.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces