HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 10:48 AM

Actually you could say “amicalement” which is the translation for friendly but just not in this context.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Actually you could say “amicalement” which is the translation for friendly but just not in this context.
It's tough to find this type of qualifier in French for a place as in "Friendly Manitoba". The best would be something like "Le Manitoba Amical" or maybe "Le Manitoba Sympathique"....

OK, how about "Sympathique Manitoba"? I might be on to something!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 1:42 PM

^ If I were in the licence plate bureau I'd have just stamped the damn things with "Friendly Manitoba Gentille" and called it a day

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ If I were in the licence plate bureau I'd have just stamped the damn things with "Friendly Manitoba Gentille" and called it a day
LOL, and I'd hope you'd have been getting fired for that! It's wrong on various levels.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
LOL, and I'd hope you'd have been getting fired for that! It's wrong on various levels.
The equivalent of HAPPY CANADA DAY / JOYEUX CANADA JOUR t-shirts...

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:14 PM

As others have pointed out, "friendly" directly translates to "amical" (literally the same root in each language - friend/ami) but it's true we don't use it the same way.

"Friendly Manitoba" and a separate "Bienvenue!" is IMO an elegant way to have a bilingual plate. I'd expect that kind of more elaborate, subtle translation from someone who's actually bilingual.

Conversely,

Friendly
----------Manitoba
Amical

is what I'd expect from someone unilingual who simply opened a dictionary.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Vos veaux sont après chier.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 1:52 AM

I recall that someone in the "Homecoming" thread mentioned that they were seeing tonnes of out of provinces plates in Toronto this summer. This is something I noticed going back at least 2.5 months this summer. My wife mentioned the same thing to me.

I have never seen so many as I have this summer. And it continues everyday. This is downtown, Sauga, Oakville and Burlington. The places I spend most of my time. NY is no. 1 then QC and then MI as you might expect. But I'm seeing more and more from other states and provinces than I'm used to seeing. Just in the past two days I've come across three from NS.

Has anyone else noticed a significant uptick in US or ROC plates in your neck of the woods this summer?

I find that when I'm passing a car going the other way that doesn't have front plates, I just have to look in my side view mirror to see where it's from. And before that, I like to play the guessing game based on the vehicle and its occupants if its from NY, QC, MI or the rest. QC is the easiest one to guess.

One place I see far less of these years though is FLA. Going back 15+ years I remember how many I used to see. I was pretty sure that they were retirees/snowbirds who registered their cars in FLA, where they winter, and drive back up for the warmer months. No idea why it's so less common now.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
One place I see far less of these years though is FLA. Going back 15+ years I remember how many I used to see. I was pretty sure that they were retirees/snowbirds who registered their cars in FLA, where they winter, and drive back up for the warmer months. No idea why it's so less common now.
Hmm... if it's specifically Florida and not other US state license plates then it could be a snowbird thing, rather than a drop/change in US visitors (eg. due to say the passport requirement which wasn't a thing 15 years ago, or due to more recent events like the people who claim to travel less to the US due to Trump etc., or alternatively Americans visiting Toronto more as the younger generation is more familiar with Toronto due to Toronto being in the mass media more for Americans, for instance Drake, Rob Ford, etc.?).

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 11:24 PM

People who spend 6 months here and 6 months there would have to be crazy to title their vehicle in FL instead of QC. The difference in insurance costs is insane. I have a FL-titled truck that I leave over there, but it's my handyman who insures it and uses it (one of the perks of working with me)... otherwise I'd either import it to bring it to Quebec - it's a rare model here, and it's rust-free; even with the exchange rate they're pricier here than there - or sell it.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 12:16 AM

I don't see as many Florida plates either. Still see plenty of course, but they used to be the most common US plates around in the summer. Now its probably New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts.

I spend a lot of time on the highway for work between Port aux Basques, Stephenville and Corner Brook - the main corridor for traffic coming to and from the island. Today I passed an SUV from Michigan, last week I remember seeing a truck from Texas.

The US is a primary market for our tourism industry (as I imagine it is for many parts of Canada), lots of Americans come up and spend a week or 2 travelling around the island, visiting Gros Morne, L'anse aux Meadows, these types of things. And there is a lot of intermarriage between Newfoundland women and American men going back to the base years which lasted from 1941 up to 1994 depending on the community. We get a pretty even spread of states passing through as a result, but yeah, Florida was among the most common but has declined a bit.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 12:19 AM

i haven't noticed a particular uptick - but it has always amazed me at the sheer amount of out of province plates.

IIRC I recall seeing a stat that about 10% of vehicles that use the Gardiner Expressway and DVP have license plates from out of province. It's always struck me as unusually high.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 4:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
People who spend 6 months here and 6 months there would have to be crazy to title their vehicle in FL instead of QC. The difference in insurance costs is insane. I have a FL-titled truck that I leave over there, but it's my handyman who insures it and uses it (one of the perks of working with me)... otherwise I'd either import it to bring it to Quebec - it's a rare model here, and it's rust-free; even with the exchange rate they're pricier here than there - or sell it.
You're likely right but FL is still easily in the top five of U.S. plates I see in Gatineau. Maybe top three after NY and VT. And probably equal to NH.

Certainly way more than any of the multiple states that lie between here and the FL border.

It's a funny experience to pull up to a business like a restaurant or a café here and see a car with Florida plates parked outside (often a Cadillac for some reason), and notice that every single person in the place is speaking in French.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:26 AM

Ontario will be getting new plates
The new slogan will be 'A Place to Grow'
Plates will be White on a two tone blue background.
A new Trillium will replace the Crown in the centre of the plate, while the Crown on the bottom right.

https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/com...license_plate/

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 5:23 AM

Huge downgrade and waste of resources.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 7:49 AM

Did Deco Labels get the contract for this?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 8:47 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

"A Place to Grow." You know the Premier is suburban when...

At least it's not "There are a number of things to do in Etobicoke."

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 10:18 AM

For anyone who didn't click the link

I don't mind it but it looks kind of corporate.

How does this work anyways? Do we get issued new plates or just keep using the ones we gave until they need replacement?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 10:43 AM

Keep using your current ones. New York switched back to their yellow plates about a decade ago and you still see the occasional old plate kicking around.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 10:46 AM
sick transit, gloria

Not a huge fan of the dark blue or the fonts used for "Ontario" and "A PLACE TO GROW" (are they different??). Similarly don't like the new style of flat plate they are going for, but understand that it results in a more durable plate with a cheaper and more environmentally friendly manufacturing process, so can get on board with that.

On the plus side, I do actually quite like the new (old) Trillium logo! It's technically a new design but is very reminiscent of the older "retro" logo which was great. Three men in a hot tub was just awful. I remember talking with coworkers a while back that in five years or so we'd end up with something similar to the old logo when the next redesign comes along. IIRC that was in 2012 or so, so missed the mark by a few years!

The slogan fiasco reminds me that the Ford government is a little too good at managing expectations by preparing people for the worst then pulling back at the last second. Pretty innocuous for a slogan (a place to grow is a fine, if unnecessary change) but they pulled it off with the budget!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada