HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Today, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I think the closest east-west highway would be to have CentrePort extend out to PTH 26 to the west, have CentrePort connect to the planned western extension of Chief Peguis, and then have CPT from Lag connect to the planned Ed Schreyer Parkway and go further east towards...

*checks notes*

...onto the existing path of Gunn Rd, onto the Perimeter, and then eventually go further towards Oakbank...?

Winnipeg doesn't really need an East-West route across the city. I believe the Perimeter Highway does that duty pretty well, but will be much better once the freeway will be complete. An East-West route through the city wouldn't work without really cutting through neighbourhoods and businesses downtown. Centreport and St Norbert bypasses would be awesome, but I believe that traffic should rather circle the city instead of going through.

Besides Chief Peguis, Hwy 3, Bishop Grandin, and Fermor could make an East West route. Looking at the Hwy 3 twinning plans from the Costco to the Perimeter, it shows there is an option to connect Bishop Grandin to highway 3. Assuming that option would be chosen, and connect Bishop to Fermor, we technically would have an East-West route going across the city.

P.S. I'm sure also connecting Fermor with McGillvary would have worked too, but it would have interfered with a residential neighbourhood.

And an Oakbank corridor wouldn't be a bad idea either. The Floodway bridge would be the most expensive part, and they would probably pave Cedar Lake road or Springfield Road.

Old Posted Today, 1:00 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboy15 View Post
P.S. I'm sure also connecting Fermor with McGillvary would have worked too, but it would have interfered with a residential neighbourhood.
I believe that was one of the original plans before the residential neighbourhoods took place, but it became some sort of chicken vs. egg situation or something.

It would be nice to cut 5 minutes of time from going through Jubilee though.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Today, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Apples to oranges comparison in my mind. Alberta is flush with money and provides a lot of grants for infrastructure. Highway 2 through Calgary received 615 Million dollars in funding for improvements through the City in 2023 for 3-4 years worth of improvements for twinning of bridges, intersection improvements and improving access ramps, etc.. That along is like 20% of MTIs 5 year budget i think which includes ALL our infrastructure rom dams, drains, northern airports, ferrys, highways, bridges. Can you imagine what a difference it would be if say MTI upgraded and maintained Lagimodiere through the City to freeway standards?
Manitoba received a 24% increase in 2023 to its annual equalization handout from Ottawa; now at $4.3B. Use some of that increase to fix the roads.

Old Posted Today, 3:35 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Manitoba received a 24% increase in 2023 to its annual equalization handout from Ottawa; now at $4.3B. Use some of that increase to fix the roads.
Or to accelerate infrastructure upgrades.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Today, 4:18 PM

I'll have to find my maps of Winnipeg freeways that would work in the current situation. Mostly following along the 1960's beltway plan.

There are so many old proposals for ring roads, highways, etc, it'll make your head spin.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan