HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 7:13 AM

My company did all the fiber up that new section of expressway. I was talking to an ITD person who was saying they ran out of Garvee funds and that it may not be open for several years. I didn't have time to clarify if he meant the whole entire project or just that one section between State and Chinden. I can tell you that there weren't a lot of crews working on it and the ones that were definitely were not in a hurry. So, take it with a grain of salt.

Also, anybody know what they are doing in the middle of 1-84 between Maple Grove/Five Mile to Meridian? I've noticed them doing something and even have night crews working.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 1:46 PM
not a cynic

Regarding the CVE, planned opening is probably August, and that's only the section between State and Chinden and doesn't include any freeway style interchanges. Chinden to I-84 is the section without funding. I don't think they're even doing right of way acquisition for that section. So it's years off, if ever, but I once thought the same about Vista and Orchard and Cole/Overland and the Flying Wye. ITD will soon start on the Broadway Bridge and they've already started on Broadway, Gowen and Meridian Interchanges. Once all that is completed.... who knows...

Not very informative but here's the ITD link:

http://itd.idaho.gov/Projects/garvee...6toIdaho44.asp

The CVE facebook page is slightly more informative and gives a link to an Id Press-Tribune story quoting an ITD official saying opening is in August or maybe even sooner. Work still needs to be done on McDermott south of Chinden.

From CVE facebook:
Quote:
South of US 20/26, the existing alignment of McDermott Road will be closed beginning mid-June and will stay closed until the first week of August. A new alignment of McDermott Road is being constructed and will open the first week of August. Routes for local residents will be clearly marked to access US 20/26.

Last edited by boisecynic; May 31, 2014 at 2:08 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 2:20 PM
not a cynic

Speaking of Cole/Overland, this existed up until 1995 or so:

Source: http://gis.cityofboise.org/

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 4:03 PM

Cool, thanks for the clear up on the info. I actually do remember when Cole & Overland looked like that. And of course Wild Waters has to be mentioned!! Paradise playground for us kids during those years.

Where does the time go?!?!

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 4:13 PM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
Also, anybody know what they are doing in the middle of 1-84 between Maple Grove/Five Mile to Meridian? I've noticed them doing something and even have night crews working.
They are preparing to replace the two outside lanes and shoulder of I-84 from the Meridian Interchange to east of the Five Mile overpass. The concrete in these lanes is the original concrete from when the interstate was first built nearly 50 years ago and has outlived its life expectancy.

According to ITD, this preliminary work involves upgrading the drainage system in the median. Since the left shoulder will have to serve as a traffic lane while the two right lanes are being rebuilt, I assume they will repave the median with concrete and install a more permanent barrier wall.

This section of I-84 should be quite the traffic nightmare as it will be reduced from 4 lanes to 3 during construction.

Also, It would be nice if ITD would install lighting along this section, but I haven't seen any plans to do so. In fact, it would be nice if I-84 was illuminated from Franklin Road in Nampa, all the way to Gowen Road in Boise, similar to the way I-15 is illuminated through most of Salt Lake and Utah counties, but I doubt it will happen.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 4:20 PM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
Speaking of Cole/Overland, this existed up until 1995 or so:

Source: http://gis.cityofboise.org/
Wow, its hard to believe its already been 20 years since the Cole/Overland interchange was rebuilt. I remember that old configuration quite well.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 5:03 PM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Regarding the CVE, planned opening is probably August, and that's only the section between State and Chinden and doesn't include any freeway style interchanges. Chinden to I-84 is the section without funding. I don't think they're even doing right of way acquisition for that section. So it's years off, if ever, but I once thought the same about Vista and Orchard and Cole/Overland and the Flying Wye. ITD will soon start on the Broadway Bridge and they've already started on Broadway, Gowen and Meridian Interchanges. Once all that is completed.... who knows...
Actually, I'm fine with there not being any funding available for this section yet.

Personally, I feel that, while this project is probably needed, it should be shelved for now. IMO, the priority should be to finish widening I-84 out to exit 29 in Caldwell first, or at least through exit 33 (Karcher Road/Hwy 55). In fact, this is Compass' top priority as well.

Speaking of Karcher Road/Hwy 55. This stretch of road is a deathtrap and an embarrassment to the State of Idaho. It, along with US-95, is the primary connection between Nevada/Northern Cal and the Treasure Valley. Yet it is in deplorable condition. If anything, the Legislature and ITD should make this sad excuse for a highway their number 1 priority in the "Connecting Idaho" program. It needs to be a five lane highway, with designated right lane turn-outs at all major crossroads, from I-84 to US-95 west of Marsing. A new bridge and bypass over the Snake River at Marsing would also be nice.

Chinden/Hwy 20-26 also is in dire need of widening from Caldwell to Eagle Road.

IMO, these projects (widening I-84 to Caldwell, widening Karcher Rd/Hwy 55, and widening Chinden/Hwy 20-26) should all take precedence over the CVE. Once these are done, then finish the CVE.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 9:27 PM

Cve

I find the CVE as it stands today to be a bit of a joke. Eagle Road may be a bit of a lost cause, but I think it should be fixed (urban interchanges, etch) before this new highway.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOI-IDA View Post
Speaking of Karcher Road/Hwy 55. This stretch of road is a deathtrap and an embarrassment to the State of Idaho. It, along with US-95, is the primary connection between Nevada/Northern Cal and the Treasure Valley. Yet it is in deplorable condition. If anything, the Legislature and ITD should make this sad excuse for a highway their number 1 priority in the "Connecting Idaho" program. It needs to be a five lane highway, with designated right lane turn-outs at all major crossroads, from I-84 to US-95 west of Marsing. A new bridge and bypass over the Snake River at Marsing would also be nice.
I couldn't agree more. Every time I return to the Treasure Valley on US-95, I wonder what people from Cali/Nevada must think of Idaho. It's such an important route, yet it's in terrible condition. Not exactly the best first impression.

I hope that in the future, the planned Interstate 11 replaces US 95. I found the graphic below some time ago...not sure what it's doing on an Indiana highway website, but it has some good ideas, particularly routing I-11 through the middle of the valley (CVE).

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 2:07 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A_ View Post
I couldn't agree more. Every time I return to the Treasure Valley on US-95, I wonder what people from Cali/Nevada must think of Idaho. It's such an important route, yet it's in terrible condition. Not exactly the best first impression.

I hope that in the future, the planned Interstate 11 replaces US 95. I found the graphic below some time ago...not sure what it's doing on an Indiana highway website, but it has some good ideas, particularly routing I-11 through the middle of the valley (CVE).

nevada and arizona are already working on the new interstate 11.. in fact most of old highway 93 between tuscon phoenix and las vegas has been upgraded to interstate..and even has posted signage stating "future I-11 corridor" Nevada plans to continue the corridor to connect reno and las vegas, and to I-80 near loveland and there are plans to continue the route following highway 95 from winnemucca to the canadian border.. they're widening highway 95 this summer just outside of winnemucca.. I think aligning 95 with the CVE would be the best move and apparently has been discussed considering your diagram.. I know that what I've read about the new interstate 11 is that environmental studies are being conducted and the ultimate plan is to have another route from the canadian border to mexico due to congestion on I-5 and I-15 being so far away from I-5… this would essentially connect boise with reno, the bay area, las vegas, southern california spokane and phoenix…

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 5:59 AM

It looks like it will be some time till the northern section is finalized, but its all pretty solid reasoning behind it. I hope it gets completed in my life time.

http://i11study.com/wp/?page_id=34

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 2:04 PM
not a cynic

CVE detractors: I think you should take a 2nd look at the CVE. It may seem useless right now, even if completed to I-84 but this is the first step towards a Hwy 55 bypass through Indian Valley/High Valley. This is much more desirable than making Hwy 95 through Council the state's north/south freeway. You have to think big picture and connecting Southern Idaho (metro Boise) with Northern Idaho and on up to the Canadian Border and Calgary. We don't want Northern Idaho getting all uppity about their isolation and forming the new state of Sasquatchia with Spokane and Missoula. We could even lose our flagship university if that happens.

About 10 years ago there was serious discussion of a Highway 55 bypass through Indian Valley and High Valley. Wasn't it when Batt was governor? Or Kempthorne? Don't feel like digging it up right now.

One thing that Boise is really missing is the crossroads factor. A Hwy 95 version would not accomplish making metro Boise a crossroads center.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 2:36 AM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
CVE detractors: I think you should take a 2nd look at the CVE. It may seem useless right now, even if completed to I-84 but this is the first step towards a Hwy 55 bypass through Indian Valley/High Valley. This is much more desirable than making Hwy 95 through Council the state's north/south freeway. You have to think big picture and connecting Southern Idaho (metro Boise) with Northern Idaho and on up to the Canadian Border and Calgary. We don't want Northern Idaho getting all uppity about their isolation and forming the new state of Sasquatchia with Spokane and Missoula. We could even lose our flagship university if that happens.

About 10 years ago there was serious discussion of a Highway 55 bypass through Indian Valley and High Valley. Wasn't it when Batt was governor? Or Kempthorne? Don't feel like digging it up right now.

One thing that Boise is really missing is the crossroads factor. A Hwy 95 version would not accomplish making metro Boise a crossroads center.
I'm not a CVE detractor. I'm all for it.

I just feel that the focus should be on improving existing highways first, before building new roads.

Plus, another thing to consider. When you build new routes, you are adding more lane miles to the infrastructure that must me maintained. And we all know that ITD can barely maintain the existing highways.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOI-IDA View Post
Actually, I'm fine with there not being any funding available for this section yet.

Personally, I feel that, while this project is probably needed, it should be shelved for now. IMO, the priority should be to finish widening I-84 out to exit 29 in Caldwell first, or at least through exit 33 (Karcher Road/Hwy 55). In fact, this is Compass' top priority as well.

Chinden/Hwy 20-26 also is in dire need of widening from Caldwell to Eagle Road.

IMO, these projects (widening I-84 to Caldwell, widening Karcher Rd/Hwy 55, and widening Chinden/Hwy 20-26) should all take precedence over the CVE. Once these are done, then finish the CVE.
Thanks for the info. I couldn't agree more with you on your opinion of the lighting.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 5:44 PM

SkyWest considering Boise for $20-30 million facilities expansion

SkyWest considering Boise for $20-30 million facilities expansion:

"SkyWest has already agreed to operate a temporary maintenance operation out of an existing hangar at the airport's Jackson Jet Center, Bieter said. SkyWest hasn't determined the exact number of workers it will need there, but Snow said the total would be in the dozens. The temporary maintenance hangar will remain in operation until the new maintenance building is built, she said. The company plans to select a site by the end of summer, she said.

City Spokesman Adam Park said the temporary maintenance operation bodes well for Boise landing the brand-new SkyWest building.

"I would say this puts us in the lead just in terms of logistics," Park said."

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/0...#storylink=cpy

In other related news Alaska Airlines added daily flights from BOI-SLC, mainly geared for business passengers. Things are busy at the airport this year.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basco View Post
SkyWest considering Boise for $20-30 million facilities expansion:

"SkyWest has already agreed to operate a temporary maintenance operation out of an existing hangar at the airport's Jackson Jet Center, Bieter said. SkyWest hasn't determined the exact number of workers it will need there, but Snow said the total would be in the dozens. The temporary maintenance hangar will remain in operation until the new maintenance building is built, she said. The company plans to select a site by the end of summer, she said.

City Spokesman Adam Park said the temporary maintenance operation bodes well for Boise landing the brand-new SkyWest building.

"I would say this puts us in the lead just in terms of logistics," Park said."

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/0...#storylink=cpy

In other related news Alaska Airlines added daily flights from BOI-SLC, mainly geared for business passengers. Things are busy at the airport this year.
These would be good jobs. Hope this happens... more jobs like these and less call centers!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 11:09 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Awesome, thrilled to see this.

Here's an out of date route map, but it illustrates a good reason why Boise is being so hotly looked at for the permanent hangar:

Not only does SkyWest already account for a large % of departures and arrivals out of Boise, but Delta's rapid expansion in Seattle (much of it operated by SkyWest) puts Boise's right in the middle of the action. If I had to guess, I would say there's a strong chance Spokane and Reno are the other two cities being studied.

What would be even better is if the maintenance base was for the Embraer 175s that SkyWest is taking on for Delta and United (based no less out of SEA and SFO). The Embraers are regional jets that feel like mainline airliners as opposed to the smaller 50-passenger regional jets, and if that were to happen Boise would probably see many of its CRJ flights replaced by Embraers.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 2:44 PM

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/eig...nt?oid=3145193

Eighth Street in Downtown Boise to Change Direction

http://www.boiseweekly.com/imager/b/...ary-viewer.jpg

Beginning Monday, Sept. 1, drivers will notice something fishy about Eighth Street. That's because the Capital City Development Corporation has approved a reversal in the flow of that road's traffic. On that day, cars will start traveling north on the road instead of south.

According to a CCDC press release, the conversion will "immediately improve overall downtown traffic flow, provide local bicyclists a safer lane option and help relieve potential traffic issues on Main Street when periodic lane closures occur during construction of the Multimodal Transit Center on Grove Plaza."

The conversion is meant to be permanent and was orchestrated to use Eighth Street as a traffic "release valve" to relieve congestion on Main Street during periodic lane and road closures.

CCDC is also touting the conversion as a boon to cyclists. Currently, the bike lane on Eighth Street is the only such lane in the city that runs against the flow of car traffic. The conversion would align auto traffic with a northbound "sharrow" and create a southbound buffered bike lane, permitting two-way bike traffic on the one-way street.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 9:42 PM

Sorry, I know this is a little "off topic" But I was curious what is known about the road being put in in west ada county. Looks like a north/south freeway I passed it last night when I was driving on 20-26 west bound toward near star. I remember it being touched on in passing in this thread but I don't recall any details. Any info would be great.

Also, my room mate just got a job working at the jump site, I'm going to press him for inside photos.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 9:49 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBMW View Post
Sorry, I know this is a little "off topic" But I was curious what is known about the road being put in in west ada county. Looks like a north/south freeway I passed it last night when I was driving on 20-26 west bound toward near star. I remember it being touched on in passing in this thread but I don't recall any details. Any info would be great.

Also, my room mate just got a job working at the jump site, I'm going to press him for inside photos.

the answers you seek lie within.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West