HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Today, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
SLC gave away a street to the LDS Church because of an "urgent need"

Provo gave away a street to NuSkin because of an "urgent need"

Provo gave away a street to the LDS Church because of an "urgent need"

Now we're basically giving away 2 blocks to SEG for an "urgent need" (and a symphony hall, for the hell of it)

I'm sorry. Giving away public goods to billionaires is regressive policy and absoultely bull shit. I can't afford a house anywhere west of Kansas. Investors are gobbling up everything. But hey, sure, let's keep doubling down on the garbage 1980s corporate welfare mindset. I'm sure SLC will benefit this time.

Slapping a few SEG luxury condos on top ("for the workers") does nothing to address this city's REAL problems.
I don't like the tax increase or the subsidies, but the "giving away of two blocks." I don't think is comparable to those other situations you listed. We, as the public, not as the government of Salt Lake County, are getting those two blocks back and at least one of the two streets that we lost due to the convention center being "overbuilt."

I think there is this mindset that if the government controls something, then the people control it, and if it's private property, then we have lost it to the rich but that isn't always true. Most of us get no benefit from Area 51, even though that is government property. We can't go there without getting shot. Yet, we can walk through the City Creek Center 6 days/week. For most of the city, most of the time, the convention center block are just dead space in the city fabric. They are also, as someone else mentioned, a tax hole for the city. We all, including the city and county governments, will get more out of those blocks, if this project happens and is done right, then we are currently getting from them.

Old Posted Today, 2:41 AM

thanks for linking that podcast. The collab between the city and SEG is going to be just fine

Old Posted Today, 3:07 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
SLC gave away a street to the LDS Church because of an "urgent need"

Provo gave away a street to NuSkin because of an "urgent need"

Provo gave away a street to the LDS Church because of an "urgent need"

Now we're basically giving away 2 blocks to SEG for an "urgent need" (and a symphony hall, for the hell of it)

I'm sorry. Giving away public goods to billionaires is regressive policy and absoultely bull shit. I can't afford a house anywhere west of Kansas. Investors are gobbling up everything. But hey, sure, let's keep doubling down on the garbage 1980s corporate welfare mindset. I'm sure SLC will benefit this time. We all know LA Live fixed homelessness and cured the area around Staples from all its social ills /s.

Slapping a few SEG luxury condos on top ("for the workers") does nothing to address this city's REAL problems.
What investment do I have currently in the Salt Palace block? What can I actually do, as a citizen of Salt Lake City, with that block currently? Am I allowed to walk into the Salt Palace at any time, regardless of what time of day? When conventions are held there, do I get to attend for free?

When FanX is held there, can I go for free?

So, what's the rub here?

If we were talking an open space, like a park or a square, I absolutely could see your point. But what is Salt Lake actually giving away?

Old Posted Today, 3:56 AM

Sniff sniff… oh no, what a massive loss this would be. My grandkids were supposed to inherit these blocks.

Old Posted Today, 5:37 AM
high-floor train enjoyer

Look, I don't think anyone here thinks this situation is ideal, It sucks that we have to give public money to Smith, and it sucks that ultimately it's his plan. At the same time, I don't think we should use this situation as an excuse to give up or refuse to work with what we have. If we aren't willing to negotiate with Smith, he won't know how we feel and he won't do what we want him to, so we can either endlessly complain about it, or engage with the issues and make the best out of it.

Old Posted Today, 6:20 AM

Reimagining Downtown Salt Lake City for the NHL. Includes a summary of my own personal ideas and ideas from others for a new vision for the new Sports, Entertainment, Culture and Convention District, a potential future for the Salt Palace Convention Center, the West Quarter, and Japantown.

For some reason, the image isn't quite as clear when I shrink it, so here is the original in spoilers for better reading:

I know it's unlikely to get everything on here. I just wanted to show what could be possible and treat this as basically a 'wishlist'

Anything you would add or change?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West