HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Philadelphia & Element Philadelphia Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 1:56 PM

The glass color and pattern - gray horizontal stripes in between each floor - are waaaaayyyyy too similar to RATR. Why would the architect choose an almost identical color and pattern to a building that's 30 feet away?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 2:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
The glass color and pattern - gray horizontal stripes in between each floor - are waaaaayyyyy too similar to RATR. Why would the architect choose an almost identical color and pattern to a building that's 30 feet away?
To be "contextual."
Blech. I hate that term, but that's why they (and by they, I mean we, and by we, I mean architects) do things like that.
I am of the school of thought that buildings need to have their own identities and not be so concerned about what surrounding buildings look like. There is a place for context, but the design of the building should not be subservient to it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
To be "contextual."
Blech. I hate that term, but that's why they (and by they, I mean we, and by we, I mean architects) do things like that.
I am of the school of thought that buildings need to have their own identities and not be so concerned about what surrounding buildings look like. There is a place for context, but the design of the building should not be subservient to it.
Contextual I view as more of a nod to what's adjacent/nearby in terms of materials, geometry (see the curved corner at East Market), and scale - but the building should still stand on its own merit and design principle. And often "context" works to bring cohesion across generations of buildings/designs and materials.

In this case, these are built within a decade of one another - and the glass look and design is soooo close that it borderlines on plagiarism.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
I think that the glass is brighter, but we can't tell because the shadows of the buildings on the south side are making it look darker. Look at what glass is on the North face; it's a brighter color.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blart View Post
Saturday, 4/21

Case in point. This glass is clearly brighter. I agree that it is quite similar, but I'm gonna reserve my judgements until completion.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Case in point. This glass is clearly brighter. I agree that it is quite similar, but I'm gonna reserve my judgements until completion.
That's like saying "is that white, or cream?" And there's more to a building's design and feel than glass color. The glass panel sizes, layout and shape as well as the look, width and color of the gray horizontal banding between floors is really, really similar (not saying exact).

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:00 PM

Quote:
That's like saying "is that white, or cream?" And there's more to a building's design and feel than glass color. The glass panel sizes, layout and shape as well as the look, width and color of the gray horizontal banding between floors is really, really similar (not saying exact).
In which case I would have to ask you to wait until this is finished. I think that they play off of each other, but the W is far from finished. We still have to see how the setbacks and lighting schemes come into play.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
In which case I would have to ask you to wait until this is finished. I think that they play off of each other, but the W is far from finished. We still have to see how the setbacks and lighting schemes come into play.
I'm talking about observationally at street level, obviously at night and 600 feet up these buildings will distinguish themselves.

From 30 seconds ago. Imagine the lower 2 finished floors of 'W' extended upwards.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Contextual I view as more of a nod to what's adjacent/nearby in terms of materials, geometry (see the curved corner at East Market), and scale - but the building should still stand on its own merit and design principle. And often "context" works to bring cohesion across generations of buildings/designs and materials.

In this case, these are built within a decade of one another - and the glass look and design is soooo close that it borderlines on plagiarism.
the curved corner is a great example of what I hate about it. giving surroundings a "nod" is a bunch of crap; the building is not another PSFS building just because it has that curve, so why try to duplicate it? if anything ti cheapens the original.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:41 PM

you're never going to be looking at the faces of these buildings side by side anyway so who cares, we're talking about the slim east/west views really that may resemble one another.

But I'm with the wait'll it's done before bitching crowd anyway, it's been my experience they always look their best when the fully complete vision can be appreciated both standing alone and in the context of its neighbors

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
you're never going to be looking at the faces of these buildings side by side anyway so who cares, we're talking about the slim east/west views really that may resemble one another.

But I'm with the wait'll it's done before bitching crowd anyway, it's been my experience they always look their best when the fully complete vision can be appreciated both standing alone and in the context of its neighbors
Well, I own property at 15th and Chestnut... so I'll see the view I posted quite a bit. For the record, I love the development (and I certainly have more stakes than someone from West Chester) and am excited about what it's bringing to the city - and calling out the architect for almost identical cladding to a building 30 feet away strikes me as totally fair criticism/discussion topic on a skyscraper forum.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post

But in my less relevant opinion due to my tenuous geographical proximity to the W and lack of a real property interest within eyeshot of the same I'm with the wait'll it's done before bitching crowd anyway, it's been my experience they always look their best when the fully complete vision can be appreciated both standing alone and in the context of its neighbors
Quote:
Well, I own property at 15th and Chestnut... so I'll see the view I posted quite a bit. For the record, I love the development (and I certainly have more stakes than someone from West Chester) and am excited about what it's bringing to the city - and calling out the architect for almost identical cladding to a building 30 feet away strikes me as totally fair criticism/discussion topic on a skyscraper forum.
fixed it for you

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 11:28 PM

I also dislike the similarity in glass and certain design elements. However, the bases of he W and Ritz (first 5 floors or more) are very different. That is the street level experience most will have.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
the curved corner is a great example of what I hate about it. giving surroundings a "nod" is a bunch of crap; the building is not another PSFS building just because it has that curve, so why try to duplicate it? if anything ti cheapens the original.
In this case I think this is a great example of successful use of context. The PSFS building is great in many ways, one being the curved corner. But not just because it's curved, but the whole package, windows, scale and how it ties the two street frontages together. I believe Market East is just tipping its hat to that one aspect of the PSFS building but using the form in it's own unique way. And its certainly not copying anything. The curved corner works on both corners of the street. The curved corner very much lends itself to the LED signage. Which do you like more on the Market East project, the curved corners at 12th St. or the square corners at 11th?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 11:26 AM

The intent was to make the glazing as blue as possible. Because the building will be LEED certified the glazing choices were all dark and very limited. The only option to really make it blue was to go with mirrored glass and I'm not sure that would have been a good choice but even if it was it wasn't in the budget.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:08 PM

4/26/18 - view of the W rising above RATR from the Eastern Tower project

(sorry, didn't zoom in with the phone camera)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenfest View Post
The intent was to make the glazing as blue as possible. Because the building will be LEED certified the glazing choices were all dark and very limited. The only option to really make it blue was to go with mirrored glass and I'm not sure that would have been a good choice but even if it was it wasn't in the budget.
Thanks for the insight Mr. Lenfest! This is the stage where we all nitpick about the unfinished product but we are all excited about the prospect of the completed tower and that amazing crown.

(I thought only Cro Burnham's comments could summon him?)

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 6:31 PM

The building is getting up there; its just about topped out. The glass exterior seems really slow. I wonder if the exterior will be finished by the time it gets cold again in October.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
The building is getting up there; its just about topped out. The glass exterior seems really slow. I wonder if the exterior will be finished by the time it gets cold again in October.
It probably will. It is still scheduled for a 2018 opening, right?

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenfest View Post
It looks fine. Great addition to the block. Nice job. I hope it further galvanizes turnover and improvement across the street and on the 1500 block of Chestnut.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive