HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 8:17 PM

I think when it is all said and done it will be a project to be proud of. There is work still to come to finish the area around the stadium and some greenery will help soften the machine-like starkness of it all. Once the GA Dome is down and gone and the park adjacent happens, it will also help and tame the scale. There wasn't much available for a location other than where it is, plus MARTA will help reduce the need for surface lots. We will see a new convention hotel to the north and the Hard Rock as well. This thing won't be alone for long, all that gulch property will come into play rapidly and I see a mega project happening there.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Paul View Post
Hi all...I made the above video and got curious looking through the referrals to it on YouTube. Found the discussion here.

This thing is truly impressive...but I completely agree with those of you saying it's almost stark in appearance given the development (or lack thereof) of the surrounding area. The way it looms on the horizon coming from Centennial is kind of surreal.

So much potential...I should've gotten it in the video, but the little park in front of the area is pretty nice, it just feels like a lot more could be done with the space across Northside Dr.

One benefit of the sparseness in front of the stadium is that there's this really impressive reflection of the Atlanta skyline in the glass at the front entrance. The pic below doesn't really do it justice (was zooming in past the chain link fence), but have a look.

Also, the building is absolutely gorgeous at the magic hour...hope to come back and take some more videos later this summer- if I get a chance I'll post back here.
Awesome! Great work on the video.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 1:14 AM

I am starting to be more and more happy that I like sitting in the upper deck as I watch and figure out that the corners of the lower level are all going to be pull out seating. Also did you notice the bleacher style pull out seats in the upper deck? I mean, its a $1.6B stadium and you have pull out seats?

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueeediot View Post
I am starting to be more and more happy that I like sitting in the upper deck as I watch and figure out that the corners of the lower level are all going to be pull out seating. Also did you notice the bleacher style pull out seats in the upper deck? I mean, its a $1.6B stadium and you have pull out seats?
The lower tear pull-outs are that way so the field can be large enough for soccer games. Note the difference in the soccer and football configurations (I know Lucas Oil Field has seats like that too, for some reason):

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media-...b-eb8236fadf31

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media-...3-bc8402463087

Those upper tear bleachers are expansion seats. Note how they say football capacity is 71,000, but can be "expanded" to 75,000 for special events (Super Bowl, College Football Championships, etc). You can kinda see those in some renderings too. I imagine they'd be covered during regular games.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
The lower tear pull-outs are that way so the field can be large enough for soccer games. Note the difference in the soccer and football configurations (I know Lucas Oil Field has seats like that too, for some reason):

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media-...b-eb8236fadf31

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media-...3-bc8402463087

Those upper tear bleachers are expansion seats. Note how they say football capacity is 71,000, but can be "expanded" to 75,000 for special events (Super Bowl, College Football Championships, etc). You can kinda see those in some renderings too. I imagine they'd be covered during regular games.
Interesting. If those seats have to pull back for Soccer, I wonder how the PSL agreement went for those seats.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 1:33 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
Interesting. If those seats have to pull back for Soccer, I wonder how the PSL agreement went for those seats.
They also designed the stadium so it can be configured for basketball adding seats at those corner pullout sections and over the field level club seats:

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharris80 View Post
They also designed the stadium so it can be configured for basketball adding seats at those corner pullout sections and over the field level club seats:

That too! Completely forgot...

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 2:31 PM

Quote:
The soccer tickets were not included in the PSL agreement, and a United season ticket holder does not have rights to the seat for any other events besides MLS (not even CONCACAF and World Cup). I have a season ticket for United and did not need to purchase a PSL (yet). So presumably someone with a PSL has rights to the seat (but must pay for the ticket) for every event other than MLS games.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 2:53 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLswede View Post
The soccer tickets were not included in the PSL agreement, and a United season ticket holder does not have rights to the seat for any other events besides MLS (not even CONCACAF and World Cup). I have a season ticket for United and did not need to purchase a PSL (yet). So presumably someone with a PSL has rights to the seat (but must pay for the ticket) for every event other than MLS games.
Right. They've sold over 45,000 PSLs. Soccer configuration is about 30,000. It's not just the push back seats that would be an issue.

PSL doesn't buy the seat for all events. It gives you the opportunity to buy Falcons season tickets and tickets to "major events." The marketing language is vague on what you have the "right" to purchase. I'm sure that's intentional. That being said, when you buy your PSL, if you mention you want to buy Atlanta United season tickets I'm sure they'll find a way to accommodate you even if your PSL is in one of the seats that isn't part of the configuration for soccer.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharris80 View Post
Right. They've sold over 45,000 PSLs. Soccer configuration is about 30,000. It's not just the push back seats that would be an issue.

PSL doesn't buy the seat for all events. It gives you the opportunity to buy Falcons season tickets and tickets to "major events." The marketing language is vague on what you have the "right" to purchase. I'm sure that's intentional. That being said, when you buy your PSL, if you mention you want to buy Atlanta United season tickets I'm sure they'll find a way to accommodate you even if your PSL is in one of the seats that isn't part of the configuration for soccer.
Soccer configuration is 40K

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD309 View Post
Soccer configuration is 40K
With the sellouts at Bobby Dodd they will need every bit of 40K.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 7:20 PM

The MLS capacity for MBS was originally set at 29,322. But ATL United have sold more season tickets than that. Is 40,000 the exact most recent number for soccer capacity? They also have the ability to open the upper decks if there is demand, for a maximum soccer capacity around 71,000.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
The MLS capacity for MBS was originally set at 29,322. But ATL United have sold more season tickets than that. Is 40,000 the exact most recent number for soccer capacity? They also have the ability to open the upper decks if there is demand, for a maximum soccer capacity around 71,000.
It would be a missed opportunity, IMO, to not let the new fan base to grow and experience as much in person as early as possible. Bobby Dodd was the perfect location for a stadium, IMO. Should be interesting once we move to the Benz.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 9:37 PM

The stadium will be featured tonight at 10 PM ET on the History Channel's "Super Structures".

https://twitter.com/MBStadium/status/867485479574405120

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 7:12 PM

Last edited by alco89; May 25, 2017 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I thought I'd noticed the logo lit up.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...a-skyline.html
I've seen it lit up once before. Pretty cool.
They are making good progress on the halo board and it looks like they started installing the "skin" on the roof petals.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 3:20 PM

It appears someone made an error which caused the team to have to call in a crane, build it, fix the error, and now they are removing the crane less than 18 hours later.

Ooops.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 5:11 PM

Quote:
It appears someone made an error which caused the team to have to call in a crane, build it, fix the error, and now they are removing the crane less than 18 hours later.

Ooops.
My theory is that there was just something wrong with the crane. Right after the last big crane was taken out, someone, either on here or in an article I read, said that the roof petals would soon be meticulously aligned using another crane. I assume this is that crane and it got put together wrong or something. Looking at the cam now, it seems they're putting it together again....

EDIT: I think I found it

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.da6b052bf354

Quote:
Watertight seals are being installed on the petals, then it is expected to take eight weeks to place fluorine-based plastic on them, a spokeswoman said.
Early next month, workers are to bring the petals together for proper alignment with the help of two gigantic crawler cranes.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 6:37 PM

Ahhhhhh, When I saw them put the crane up and then take it down again I thought someone had made an ooops.
It looks like they just took the crane down to reconfigure something on the crane and then stood it back up, again.

And that article....man I could go on a rant about just that first paragraph.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 7:43 PM

They've started putting the Birdair ETFE skins on the petals. The petal over the east end is getting the opaque white treatments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta