HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 1:06 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
I noticed a hint of activity going on at the Southside Highland high rise apartment complex. There was the truck that drill holes to test the soil sitting out in the back parking lot and a small trailer with 2 large plastic containers with some type of liquid in them sitting on the site. I hope this is a sign that construction will start shortly.
I noticed about the same thing as you did. They definitely seem to be doing soil sampling.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 12:10 PM

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf...art_river_home

The 2nd of two hotels in Marriott Empire make over will be a Fairfield Inn, with conversion of the old Alabama Gas Company headquarters on 1st Avenue N. between 19th and 20th Streets.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 1:07 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf...art_river_home

The 2nd of two hotels in Marriott Empire make over will be a Fairfield Inn, with conversion of the old Alabama Gas Company headquarters on 1st Avenue N. between 19th and 20th Streets.
I'll be glad to see that ugly black window facade go.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 6:26 PM
The Salty Ham

TopGolf is already helping the BJCC. Tad Snider says he believes the plans for the center will come into focus later this year.

http://alabamanewscenter.com/2017/04...to-birmingham/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 12:27 PM
Cat Enthusiast

TopGolf has topped out (the main building). Again, looks like it's going to have a great, predominant spot in that part of downtown.

Construction activity is starting on 20 Midtown's Phase 3. They removed the power poles yesterday or the day before. Also, sad to report that the Liberty National building will not be part of 20 Midtown. Apparently, it was bout out of foreclosure, but the original owners were able to redeem ownership... I think we missed out on an outstanding opportunity with that building

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
TopGolf has topped out (the main building). Again, looks like it's going to have a great, predominant spot in that part of downtown.

Construction activity is starting on 20 Midtown's Phase 3. They removed the power poles yesterday or the day before. Also, sad to report that the Liberty National building will not be part of 20 Midtown. Apparently, it was bout out of foreclosure, but the original owners were able to redeem ownership... I think we missed out on an outstanding opportunity with that building
On the Liberty National Building, I think you are right. I don't believe the previous owners have the funds to renovate that building and I really hope I am wrong. But they missed a great opportunity to fix-up that building before UAB moved to their Avondale location, that would have been ideal but instead they just sat on the building and missed out.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 9:52 PM
The Salty Ham

They probably think they can just sit on the property until another developer is willing to pay even more. I'm not excited about it, but at least the people behind 20 Midtown didn't show us some awesome proposal and then have that possibility snatched away. They just said they would show plans "later." The sentiment was that the building would have to come down anyway, but who knows.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 12:01 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
They probably think they can just sit on the property until another developer is willing to pay even more. I'm not excited about it, but at least the people behind 20 Midtown didn't show us some awesome proposal and then have that possibility snatched away. They just said they would show plans "later." The sentiment was that the building would have to come down anyway, but who knows.
I agree that the investors are likely just sitting on the property until they feel they can make it bare fruit. Considering that 20 Midtown's development likely will take about 1.5 years, I'm concerned about the likelihood of Liberty National being redeveloped.

Honestly, I think any real development will sadly... tear it down and build low...

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 8:37 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Some interesting topics at The Economic Development, Budget & Finance Committee meeting going on right now. The Council tweeted that there should be some more info at 4:30 this afternoon.

Source: Birmingham City Council LINK

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 10:15 PM
The Salty Ham

I'm not surprised about the 2nd one, but a little surprised that they are still considering building an inland port. I knew there was a study being done, but with coal on the decline what is left that would really utilize such a port?

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 12:34 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm not surprised about the 2nd one, but a little surprised that they are still considering building an inland port. I knew there was a study being done, but with coal on the decline what is left that would really utilize such a port?
Yea, I was especially curious about that one. BTW, there's a new website for the BRT which I'll try and post some pictures and details of later.

About the coal, most of the stuff that's produced in Alabama isn't used domestically but exported to developing countries where it's, of course, cheaper to use. It's starting a decline in Chine (finally), but there are still countries on the rise that need it. So, I wouldn't call the coal industry dead until environmentalist find a way to stop the mining.

Who knows, maybe this new phase at Birmingport is something the city thinks will in enhance its ability to accommodate the transportation of additional goods.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 2:44 PM
The Salty Ham

I found some old articles about what it would take to kick it up a few notches and the biggest complaints were fire and police protection and that 269 needed to be four laned for truck volume. Id love to imagine a fancy canal system put it... but I just hope some other industry shows up other than coal to necessitate it. Maybe some aeronautical that could support Airbus in Mobile but I dont know if that is feasible when excellent road and rail connections already exist. Floating jet engines or other large components made at a new company situated at the Kaiser property at the airport....

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 9:03 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Birmingham Bus Rapid Transit

The Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) will update Birmingham’s inner city public-transit system by connecting 25 neighborhoods from Woodlawn on the east side to Five Points on the west side, approximately 10 miles in length.

LINK for all of the photos and comments. All of this comes from the Birmingham Transit Program website.

Project Description

Quote:
The City of Birmingham, in cooperation with the BJCTA, proposes to update its inner city transit system by developing bus rapid transit (BRT) that will connect 25 neighborhoods from Five Points on the west side of Birmingham to Woodlawn on the east side. Implementation of BRT will require the construction of 36 stations along the BRT corridor. The proposed stations will be compact, open air structures incorporating architectural elements from Birmingham’s diverse built environment. The BRT route is divided into three segments: featuring stations E-1 through E-5, the eastern segment begins at the proposed Woodlawn Community Transit Center in the historic community of Woodlawn and extends southwestward to 18th Street North in downtown Birmingham via 1st Avenue North; featuring stations In-Town Transit Partnership (ITP)-1 though ITP-6, an intermediary segment begins at the intersection of 18th Street and 1st Avenue North, heads south on 18th Street North then southwest on 5th Avenue South to the intersection of 8th Street South where the transit line drops one block south and then trends southwest along 6th Avenue South to its terminus at the Amtrak and CSX railroad corridor; featuring stations W-1 through W-8, the western segment begins at the Amtrak and CSX railroad corridor, continues southward to the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Drive along the eastern boundary of Elmwood Cemetery where the segment heads north to a Y-intersection with Lomb Avenue, which heads due west to the end of the line at the Birmingham CrossPlex in Five Points.
Project Elements

Quote:
- Vehicles: BJCTA plans to purchase 10 new, low-floor compressed natural gas (CNG) buses for the corridor. It is anticipated that BRT vehicles would include self-securing wheelchair parking areas, bicycle racks, as well as seating and standing room for 40 to 60 passengers per bus.
Stations: The Birmingham BRT stations will provide a high-level of passenger comfort, convenience and safety. The stations will be designed to reflect the character of the City of Birmingham’s unique communities. It is expected that stations will include community inspired functional public art. In addition, a raised passenger boarding platform allows for easier and faster access for all by providing level boarding between the platform and the bus.

- Equipment:
-- Transit Signal Priority (TSP). Transit Signal Priority (TSP) will allow BRT buses to be able to communicate with the traffic signal system along the project corridor. TSP can reduce bus delays at traffic signals by either giving the bus a green light, or holding it green for a few seconds longer if a bus is approaching.
-- Off-board Fare Collection. Customers may pre-purchase fares at Ticket at each station before boarding which will significantly speed up boarding. This lets passengers quickly board using any door, greatly reducing the time spent at stations, and increasing the overall efficiency and reliability of the system.
-- Real-Time Passenger Information. Real-time passenger information displays will tell passengers waiting at stations how long before the next bus arrives. It will also have the capability to provide other information to riders.
Station Concepts

The following 3 are of the Woodlawn Transit Center

Below is the concept for the Five Points W - Crossplex Transit Center

Roadway Concepts

The BRT will operate in both dedicated bus ROW as well as mixed traffic

Bus Shelter Concepts

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 12:54 AM
The Salty Ham

That looks really good.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 12:35 PM

http://alabamanewscenter.com/2017/05...-village-year/

Birmingham Crossplex Village phase 1 to start vertical construction in June. The developer hopes to have the entire project done by the time the World Games start.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 7:15 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
http://alabamanewscenter.com/2017/05...-village-year/

Birmingham Crossplex Village phase 1 to start vertical construction in June. The developer hopes to have the entire project done by the time the World Games start.
Glad this is finally coming to fruition. I'm excited to see how all of this development will affect the west end.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 12:03 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I've been told by a source close to the Bus Rapid Transit situation that the route, stations, and busways are now being designed.

AKA, this thing is actually moving forward.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 4:41 PM
Cat Enthusiast

The sidewalk sheltering around the Brown-Marx Building is being disassembled today.

I don't know if it's in connection to anything imminent, but I noticed it on my way back to work from a meeting this morning. Maybe a developer taking action in anticipation of taking advantage of the historic tax credit program now that it's been revived.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 6:45 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
The sidewalk sheltering around the Brown-Marx Building is being disassembled today.

I don't know if it's in connection to anything imminent, but I noticed it on my way back to work from a meeting this morning. Maybe a developer taking action in anticipation of taking advantage of the historic tax credit program now that it's been revived.
I hope so. I never saw the obligatory story of where Ivey signed it, and she was supposed to or expected to last week. The stories about the stuff she is signing now are seemingly lower priority bills. I hope she isn't holding it up for any particular reason.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 7:29 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I hope so. I never saw the obligatory story of where Ivey signed it, and she was supposed to or expected to last week. The stories about the stuff she is signing now are seemingly lower priority bills. I hope she isn't holding it up for any particular reason.
I've been worrying about the same thing. But, I would be shocked if she doesn't sign a bill that was supported by an overwhelming majority of her own party's legislators.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast