HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

The Ferris Wheel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 11:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
If the Ferris Wheel takes only a small portion of land then it is possible to build at least three skyscrapers. One on the north site, one on the south site, and one on the Terminal building.
It's also possible to build another skyscraper on an empty parcel of land next to Staten Island's Sheriff Office, and on one next to the St. George School. I see a lot of potential
development here.
They could have put a couple of highrises there, but its City land, and the City is looking more for something that would be a draw,
not just another highrise development that could be anywhere.

Here's another look at the sites...

http://workingharbor.wordpress.com/t...capital-group/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Another wheel, yawn.

I think this is getting a bit hackneyed now all around the world.

What they should have done was: create an observation tower with pods going up and down slowly. It would have looked more iconic on the skyline too, and could have been taller. How about a spiral tower with pods going up and down

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 6:54 PM

^ That won't really look good, and it won't really be that much of a difference for Staten Islanders.

I rather see several skyscrapers along with the Ferris Wheel that would have observation decks, stores, restaurants, and malls to attract people to Staten Island. They should also have hotel space, residential space, and office space to encourage a lot more visitors as well. That way tourists would be willing to spend a few days there, and people would be willing to live and work there as well.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 9:06 PM

Wouldn't building a bunch of skyscrapers around the wheel block the view?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 10:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
^ That won't really look good, and it won't really be that much of a difference for Staten Islanders.

I rather see several skyscrapers along with the Ferris Wheel that would have observation decks, stores, restaurants, and malls to attract people to Staten Island. They should also have hotel space, residential space, and office space to encourage a lot more visitors as well. That way tourists would be willing to spend a few days there, and people would be willing to live and work there as well.
Maybe it won't look good to you, but I'd take a fantastic innovative spiral monumental tower with automated pods rather than another copy-cat gesture. The wheel is done and dusted, let's move on folks. Let's show some originality, something that says NYC of the future.

This is just a copy of London's famous EYE, and it will never surpass or become an icon like that one did. For one, it is too far from the city core, the view of the skyline will be very wide-angle and distant unless zoomed with a telephoto lens. Secondly, even if it is bigger, it will never have the cachet of the original and probably won't have the same design.

I really feel that somebody got very lazy here. There are plenty of different ways to create an observational structure than this. I also don't see the visual appeal of a wheel with ugly spokes, a spiral tower with pods would look so much more elegant rather than this travesty of an amusement park attraction.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 11:13 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I was thinking of a observation lighthouse tower that would as tall as Manhattan regulars, thus being the tallest lighthouse in the world. I guess the Ferris wheel isn't that much of a original idea but it can still be built if it is preferred.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
Wouldn't building a bunch of skyscrapers around the wheel block the view?
Not really. The Manhattan skyline won't be blocked, neither would the views of Staten Island, New Jersey, and a large chunk of Brooklyn. It won't be that much of a concern.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I was thinking of a observation lighthouse tower that would as tall as Manhattan regulars, thus being the tallest lighthouse in the world. I guess the Ferris wheel isn't that much of a original idea but it can still be built if it is preferred.
That would be awesome. Staten Island's symbol is of a lighthouse, and it could be built on top of St. George's Ferry Terminal. There could be normal office floors, residential floors, and hotel floors before reaching the top which would be the observation deck and restaurants. Maybe it can even reach 1,000+ feet. That would draw people to Staten Island. It could also direct people to the nearby Lighthouse Museum.

Maybe it can be designed after the Lighthouse of Alexandria.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 12:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Another wheel, yawn.
I think this is getting a bit hackneyed now all around the world.
Good thing then, that this one is proposed for New York, and not "all around the world".

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The wheel is done and dusted, let's move on folks.
That's like saying skyscrapers are done and dusted.

Quote:
This is just a copy of London's famous EYE, and it will never surpass or become an icon like that one did.
A ridiculous statement. The tourist coming off the ferry alone would make this one a huge success. It will become a huge icon of the harbor.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The tourist coming off the ferry alone would make this one a huge success. It will become a huge icon of the harbor.
-
This will be great for Staten Island, and great for the skyline, but I'm not sure of it's ability to draw people. About 2 million tourists ride the ferry every year. Let's say 1 million of them ride the wheel? That's still more than three times less than the London Eye draws.

Does it need to draw a similar amount to be a success?

Has the London Eye drawn a profit?

As a Staten Islander, I hope this gets built regardless.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
-
This will be great for Staten Island, and great for the skyline, but I'm not sure of it's ability to draw people. About 2 million tourists ride the ferry every year. Let's say 1 million of them ride the wheel? That's still more than three times less than the London Eye draws.

No it doesn't. As long as the price is good enough and it is attractive enough then it would make a profit. The London Eye and the Singapore Flyer is extremely successful. Even though the Wonder Wheel might not be an observation wheel it is extremely successful too.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 12:53 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
-

You never know, the Wheel itself could increase the ferry's ridership alone.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 9:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
-
That's assuming that only tourists who ride the ferry will want to visit the observation wheel. The tourists who ride the ferry are but a fraction of the City's overall tourist. Also, you have to take into account the locals who will visit from the metro region (both NY and NJ). The question I have is whether too many people would visit, how long would the wait be, etc.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 2:34 AM

Quote:
That's assuming that only tourists who ride the ferry will want to visit the observation wheel. The tourists who ride the ferry are but a fraction of the City's overall tourist. Also, you have to take into account the locals who will visit from the metro region (both NY and NJ). The question I have is whether too many people would visit, how long would the wait be, etc.
From what I understand, New Yorkers rarely go to the Statue of Libery, Ellis Island, ESB, etc. Not so sure if that's true, but that's the general feeling I get from my NY experience. You may turn out to be right, but I would be surprised if we get more than 1.5 million after it's first year.

If they want to draw people from the region, I hope they build a parking lot next to it, since public transportation on to the Island is limited to express buses and the ferry.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 9:52 PM

Quote:
From what I understand, New Yorkers rarely go to the Statue of Libery, Ellis Island, ESB, etc. Not so sure if that's true, but that's the general feeling I get from my NY experience. You may turn out to be right, but I would be surprised if we get more than 1.5 million after it's first year.

If they want to draw people from the region, I hope they build a parking lot next to it, since public transportation on to the Island is limited to express buses and the ferry.
I've rarely gone to the SOL and Ellis Island since I've lived here but they are good for getting pics.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 8:49 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

i just walked thru there the other day. yeah its too small a patch for much else.

a big ferris wheel is very trendy, but still a nice idea. i even think the placement is just fine. its just not going to get london eye business being over there in staten island. otoh no doubt less crowds would be just fine for wheel riders.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 12:22 AM
New Yorker for life

I think it will do just fine, and surprise a lot of doubters.

http://www.silive.com/opinion/editor...ould_turn.html

The New York Wheel would turn Staten Island into a world-class destination

July 20, 2012

Quote:
If we build it, they will come. The 600-foot-tall New York Wheel, with magnificent views from on high, could turn Staten Island into a world-class tourist destination, which is why many Staten Islanders support the concept. The revolving observation platform being proposed for the waterfront near the Staten Island Ferry is to be a towering spectacle like nothing else in America. It goes above and beyond ordinary Ferris wheels. It would be no mere carnival ride, as some mistakenly envision it.

Featuring glass-enclosed capsules that can hold up to 35 people, the giant New York Wheel is intended to be a harborside showcase - not an amusement park attraction.

What’s being proposed by private developers would be a “fabulous magnet” for people to come to Staten Island, according to Mitchell Moss, a professor of urban policy and planning at New York University’s Graduate School of Public Service. He said: “It’s going to be one of the city’s great tourist attractions because it will combine the ferry ride with an activity, and since the ferry to Staten Island is much more accessible than the ferry to the Statue of Liberty, it’s going to supersede the Statue of Liberty as a magnet for visitors.” Known worldwide as one of New York’s top 10 attractions, the Staten Island Ferry carries about 2 million tourists every year. They plan ahead for the scenic round-trip voyage back and forth across the harbor, but rarely leave the St. George Ferry Terminal itself to see anything anywhere on the Island.

This guaranteed year-round stream of visitors is why investors found it was economically viable to propose to the city Economic Development Corp. to build an observation wheel like the 443-foot London Eye or the 541-foot Singapore Flyer. Mayor Michael Bloomberg has endorsed the concept. So has Borough President James Molinaro, who has said agreement in principle could come this month to build the Wheel on city-owned land near the Richmond County Bank Ballpark. He says it could be up and running by early 2015.

The sooner the better, we say.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 8:12 PM

Quote:
I think it will do just fine, and surprise a lot of doubters.
Staten Island has always had trouble getting tourists to stay on the island for any amount of time. A few years ago they made bus tours using old trolly-looking vehicles to ferry tourists around Staten Island to locations like the Conference House and Snug Harbor. I haven't seen any of these vehicles around for almost two years, so I imagine the program ended. I personally can't imagine why a knowledgeable traveler would want to spend time on Staten Island at places like those I mentioned above when Manhattan has so much more to offer.

If we do end up trying to attract more tourists by building this wheel, they should focus on adding some other attractions in the St.George area. Any where else on the island would be silly, as even a typical tourist would be hard to convince to spend three hours traversing around what essentially is a suburb of the other four boroughs.

I'm not saying this project will fail if built, these are just things to consider. I'm sure we can all agree that it would be quite sad if it was built and 3/4 of the modules were empty during peak hours.

Last edited by Duck From NY; Aug 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 11:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
If we do end up trying to attract more tourists by building this wheel, they should focus on adding some other attractions in the St.George area. Any where else on the island would be silly, as even a typical tourist would be hard to convince to spend three hours traversing around what essentially is a suburb of the other four boroughs.

I'm not saying this project will fail if built, these are just things to consider. I'm sure we can all agree that it would be quite sad if it was built and 3/4 of the modules were empty during peak hours.

The thing about that wheel is that it is a destination, not just a ride. It in of itself would be enough. We talk in terms of tourists making the trip, but some forget that it's a metro of some 20 million people to draw from as well. Beyond that though, tourists making the journey on the ferry and the trip to the wheel won't really have much time for a lot of other things to do in Staten Island anyway. It's a big city. So much to do, and so little time. Maybe some locals could make a day trip of it...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories

Staten Island Outlet Mall Is Proposed

By LAURA KUSISTO and ELIOT BROWN
August 21, 2012

Quote:
New Yorkers and tourists endure traffic jams on crowded buses to travel to outlet malls for discounted jeans and handbags, but the city and a developer are betting they would prefer a 25-minute ferry ride to Staten Island. The Bloomberg administration is in advanced talks with Don Capoccia, of BFC Partners, to build a roughly half-a-million-square-foot outlet mall near the Staten Island Ferry Terminal, according to two people briefed on the proposal. The mall would be near another big idea for Staten Island: Officials are also in advanced talks with investor group Plaza Capital Group Management, which would build the tallest "observation wheel" in the world, lifting visitors roughly 600 feet, according to people familiar with the proposal.

The mall and the observation wheel would replace parking lots on either side of Richmond County Bank Ballpark, the stadium of the minor league Staten Island Yankees. "It would be a draw for Staten Islanders and a draw for tourists to come downtown more than they already do," said state Sen. Diane Savino, a Democrat who represents the area.

Officials are hoping to reach an agreement with developers on the observation wheel and mall sites simultaneously, according to multiple people familiar with the process. No deal on either proposal has been reached. "We're thrilled with the excitement these sites have generated as we continue discussions with multiple developers in the hope of unlocking significant economic development potential for Staten Island's North Shore," said Benjamin Branham, a spokesman for the city's Economic Development Corp.

The Center for an Urban Future, a nonprofit research organization, estimated in a 2007 report about Staten Island that more than two million tourists a year take the ferry, with few ever leaving to explore the island. Outlet malls, which sell discounted goods by popular brands, have boomed across the country in the past decade, even as traditional enclosed suburban malls have declined in popularity. The New York area has relatively few, though, in part because of the dominance of Woodbury Common Premium Outlets—a huge and popular complex about 50 miles north of Manhattan. New York shoppers take hourlong bus rides there or travel to outlet malls on Long Island and New Jersey.

The Staten Island project has the potential to be the first outlet mall in New York City. Another proposal for an outlet mall in the Bronx is also reportedly under consideration.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 1:41 AM

Quote:
The thing about that wheel is that it is a destination, not just a ride. It in of itself would be enough. We talk in terms of tourists making the trip, but some forget that it's a metro of some 20 million people to draw from as well. Beyond that though, tourists making the journey on the ferry and the trip to the wheel won't really have much time for a lot of other things to do in Staten Island anyway. It's a big city. So much to do, and so little time. Maybe some locals could make a day trip of it...
It's a destination, and not a ride, for sure. I'm just emphasizing that if they're going to try to use other methods (like the proposed shopping destination) along with the wheel to attract people to the island, they should try to concentrate that flow of people to and not far from St.George.

I'm sure plenty of people from the Metro will come to the wheel within the first year or two, but like other tourist destinations in the city, I doubt it will generate a lot of interest from local people once it's been established.

I really hope this succeeds, I'd love to see this thing from my backyard, from Todt Hill, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects