HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
It's not a handout, but it's still a benefit to that local economy.
I am not sure I've heard anybody deny that. But it's extremely common for Albertans to implicitly argue that federal tax dollars spent on buying goods and services outside of Alberta amounts to them being "ripped off".

Any civil servant in Ottawa ever? Ripoff! What do they do anyway? Soldiers for NATO? Ripoff! Cut taxes instead! We can just cut everything and live in a libertarian wonderland where countries like China fork over huge amounts of cash for oil indefinitely.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
And if you thought Alberta was whiny now, imagine how impetuous Alberta would be with $200B in the bank.
$300B, actually. $300B is what the Independent Republic of Fort McMurray would have in the bank right now, if it hadn't been attached to lazy wealthsucking bums in Calgary and Edmonton for the last few decades.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
The TMX pipeline is proceeding as fast as possible under the rule of law.

Alberta needs to face the reality of the end of fossil fuels, and their own role in their current economic situation.

Canada is here to help. But the RoC is really tired of Alberta shit talking everyone else.
Maybe it’s time to change the law to get TMX and OTHER pipelines built quicker.

The reality is the end of fossil fuels is not even close and more fossil fuels are being used every year so why not use our own fossil fuels instead of importing from regimes that are against democracy.

Alberta is tired of some people in Canada pillaging and raping it for its wealth and than attacking Alberta for the very thing that supplies that wealth.

Obviously Canada has been had by outside influences that have been painting a false picture of Canadian energy and unfortunately some people in this country have fallen for it. No other country in the world seems to have problems getting their energy resources to market.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
Alberta is tired of some people in Canada pillaging and raping it
When Albertans act like over-the-top drama queens with statements like this, it's no wonder the ROC doesn't take you seriously.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Easy. $240B sent to the federal capital over a decade from the exploitation of resource wealth that happened to be found within the boundaries of the country in question. Perfectly normal.

"OMG!!! ~$1 trillion sent to coffers in Oslo over the past X years from exploiting North Sea oilfields within Norwegian waters!!!!!!" also triggers you, I imagine? You believe the money should stay on the oil rigs...?
"Exploiting?" Sounds like you think that is an "AB" thing only. You don't think Horgan right now isn't exploiting the f*ck out of BC? Worst part is - he is pretending he isn't.

Can't compare the "yearly robbing QC does of AB" to that of Norway. Oslo doesn't rob Oslo, the way QC robs AB. Apples to Kumquats......

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:

The reality is the end of fossil fuels is not even close and more fossil fuels are being used every year so why not use our own fossil fuels instead of importing from regimes that are against democracy.

Alberta is tired of some people in Canada pillaging and raping it for its wealth and than attacking Alberta for the very thing that supplies that wealth.

Obviously Canada has been had by outside influences that have been painting a false picture of Canadian energy and unfortunately some people in this country have fallen for it. No other country in the world seems to have problems getting their energy resources to market.
Everything you said is the truth. It's too bad the media in Canada is more concerned with giving a 16 year old Swedish girl the rock star treatment than reporting facts.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLac View Post
"Exploiting?" Sounds like you think that is an "AB" thing only. You don't think Horgan right now isn't exploiting the f*ck out of BC? Worst part is - he is pretending he isn't.

Can't compare the "yearly robbing QC does of AB" to that of Norway. Oslo doesn't rob Oslo, the way QC robs AB. Apples to Kumquats......
Well, then you're basically claiming that Ottawa is robbing Ottawa. Or else you would admit that the oil profits could all remain stored on inhabited offshore Norwegian rigs which would then have astronomical per capita wealth, instead of being siphoned off by Oslo and reinvested in various unrelated things. Pick one...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
When Albertans act like over-the-top drama queens with statements like this, it's no wonder the ROC doesn't take you seriously.
How can it be over the top when it's true?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
How can it be over the top when it's true?
If you are too dense to figure it out, that is your own problem.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:55 PM

This thread really is bringing out the best in people ...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Exactly instead we’re changing laws to make it slower and harder. Is just sad how much better America does business than us.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 12:08 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here is some data on expenditures and revenues per province:
https://lop.parl.ca/sites/PublicWebs...ations/201701E

I'll do a breakdown for Nova Scotia for 2017.

Revenues: $6,862M

Expenditures:
Goods and services $5,303M
Transfers to persons $3,921M
Transfers to province $3,866M

The provincial transfer included $967M of health transfer, $358M for social transfer, and $1,779M from equalization.

Most of the transfers apply evenly to any part of Canada. The health transfer is just paid out per capita, OAS and EI are the same, etc. If NS gets more OAS per capita because it has more seniors per capita there is nothing unfair about that. The "goods and services" portion is not a handout; it's money paid to buy things. And that's the biggest category of federal spending in NS.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
How much is that is merely in response to claims that Alberta wasted its resource riches and the Rest of Canada never benefited from it, while taking on so much risk?
I don’t think anybody is thinking that. At least I am not.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
As the crow flies, Edmonton to St Johns is just about the same as Edmonton to Mexico city. Should wealth be shared with them too? borders are arbitrary right?
Have you been paying income tax to Mexico? You shouldn’t be if you are working in Canada.

I pay income tax to the Canadian government as well, but I don’t get to say where it goes. I am happy that it is being spent in my country, Canada.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
If you are too dense to figure it out, that is your own problem.
I'm one of the few people here who has things figured out.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 1:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm one of the few people here who has things figured out.
Yes, from the point of view of an Alberta seperatist, I can honestly believe you when claiming to have things figured out.

Well done.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 1:53 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I don’t think anybody is thinking that. At least I am not.
It's hard to find much symmetry between the sentiments in Alberta and other provinces. My experience of the so-called have-not places is that people in those provinces are aware that they get equalization and other benefits from Canada, and generally would rather not be dependent on equalization.

Even with pipelines and BC, I get the feeling here it's a less important issue with more mixed pro- and anti- opinions, while Albertans tend to be more strident. BC doesn't have a mirror version of the political sentiments in Alberta. At one point Jason Kenney was even threatening to "turn off the taps" on us. BC didn't really do much in response except get an injunction against that legislation when it passed, and now I don't hear about it much anymore as a BC issue.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Fantasyland? My take on Ontario sans Canada seems quite plausible IMO.

If you exclude Ottawa (about a million people there) - as there'd be no reason to have a national capital without a nation - I'd still argue that Ontario would still be a much smaller place.

Without the national railways (remember: the CPR was funded by land grants from the national government) a lot of the basis of Ontario industry never gets started. The few colonial railways would provide some work, but not on the same scale.

Looking at the skyscrapers that dominate the Toronto skyline, I see national banks and media companies - all protected by our banking and media ownership laws. If Ontario was an independent nation, it might have some local banks, but nothing of the same scale as our national ones. If it was part of the United States, what would have prevented TD Bank or CIBC from being gobbled up by Citibank or Wells Fargo in the decades past?

Finally, why would the auto industry expand to anything near its current size if not to gain access to the protected total Canadian market of the time? I doubt GM/Ford/Chrysler would build anything in the same scale if they only had the local Ontario market. They might do some assembly work (like foreign automakers used to do in New Zealand), but nothing to the scale they do today.

Why would you ship western grain via Thunder Bay if you could ship it via rail via the US? Or via Duluth? Why would you build a railway west across awful northern muskeg when you could build it across the fairly moderate graded midwest United States?

Would Ontario still be here? Yeah. Would it be a province of 14 million people as the economic centre of this area? Doubtful.

I'm not saying it to be insulting - I live in Ontario. But had the Charlottetown Conference failed and the colonies blundered along separately, I doubt it would be the place it is today. Such is the funny twists and turns of history and I'm quite glad the whole Confederation thing worked out.
That's all well and good but it ignores real, actual history in favour of hypotheticals. As I've said before, Upper Canada was the dominant British colony long before Canada existed and long before grain shipments or automotive plants. If those colonies were today a bunch of independent countries, Ontario would absolutely be the dominant one just as it always was. Even in the modern world geography counts for a lot, and being right next to the most populated parts of the richest country in the world without actually being a part of it is a huge geographic advantage, with or without the rest of Canada.

Those companies that you and someone123 dismiss as protected domestic oligopolies are internationally competitive businesses. They do much, if not most, of their business outside Canada. Our banks got as big as they are not by staying in a protected domestic bubble, but by investing aggressively around the world. Loads of the world's biggest companies are protected by their home governments, whether it's through protection from foreign takeover, government subsidies, etc. There's nothing unique about our banks in that respect, let alone companies like Magna or Onex. Besides, nobody's forcing these companies to locate in Ontario. They can move to other provinces if they want (and have in the past).

Again, I do agree that Ontario benefits from being part of Canada (I'd like to think that's true of most of the country), but the whole province having 3 million people? Toronto having less than a million? Come on. Fantasyland.

Last edited by Xelebes; Nov 18, 2019 at 5:04 AM. Reason: Mod edit for ad hominem

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
That's all well and good but it ignores real, actual history in favour of hypotheticals. As I've said before, Upper Canada was the dominant British colony long before Canada existed and long before grain shipments or automotive plants. If those colonies were today a bunch of independent countries, Ontario would absolutely be the dominant one just as it always was. Even in the modern world geography counts for a lot, and being right next to the most populated parts of the richest country in the world without actually being a part of it is a huge geographic advantage, with or without the rest of Canada.

Those companies that you and someone123 dismiss as protected domestic oligopolies are internationally competitive businesses. They do much, if not most, of their business outside Canada. Our banks got as big as they are not by staying in a protected domestic bubble, but by investing aggressively around the world. Loads of the world's biggest companies are protected by their home governments, whether it's through protection from foreign takeover, government subsidies, etc. There's nothing unique about our banks in that respect, let alone companies like Magna or Onex. Besides, nobody's forcing these companies to locate in Ontario. They can move to other provinces if they want (and have in the past).

Again, I do agree that Ontario benefits from being part of Canada (I'd like to think that's true of most of the country), but the whole province having 3 million people? Toronto having less than a million? Come on. Fantasyland.
Where in his post did he say ON would only have 3 million people and Toronto less than one million?

The rest of what you said is riddled with inaccuracies and assumptions that make no sense whatsoever. Just because ON was the dominant colony 200 years ago doesn't mean it would still be dominant today. An independent west or Alberta wouldn't have had to endure decades of not being to sell our crops to whoever we wanted, had to pay artificially high rail rates, lose out on hundreds of billions of tax revenues, subsidize media conglomerates that provide little benefit to us, etc. An independent west would also have developed a lot more industry as we wouldn't have had to kowtow to protectionist interests in ON and Quebec.

An independent Maritimes would be way better off than they are today. An independent Quebec would be totally different and likely not French speaking.

I'm not saying ON wouldn't be successful but I would question if it would be more so than an independent west.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Where in his post did he say ON would only have 3 million people and Toronto less than one million?
You're a big boy, I'm sure you can find it for yourself on page 12 of the thread.

There's never going to be an independent west. BC and Manitoba want nothing to do with your agenda.

Quote:
A Russian troll? I thought you couldn't be any stupider but I guess I was wrong.

What does Quebec do really well? Corruption? Blackmail? As long as people like you keep giving them everything they want of course they'll be content. For a lot of us that does not make Canada a more interesting place. It makes it a sad place.
Working the night shift at Savushkina Street I see?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada