HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

AVA DoBro in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 4:51 AM

Thanks for these updates Rebel, interesting stuff. I guess we will have to wait to see about those changes you saw, maybe we will get a better idea when they are done with demo in May.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 11:44 PM

Found by desterpunk on SSC:

DOB Issues More Demo Permits for Willoughby West

"The Department of Buildings issued three more demolition permits for the massive Willoughby West rental development planned for Willoughby Street between Duffield and Bridge streets...A 57-story, 861-unit rental tower will go up on this corner..."

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 1:56 AM

Wrong thread, oops!

Last edited by sbarn; May 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 1:58 AM

Site has now been cleared and is ready for construction.

Brownstoner

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 12:19 PM

Given how Avalon projects speed, this might be well out the ground by December.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 2:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Brooklyn continues to rise.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 2:35 AM
aka Studdedleather

UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!
http://www.brooklyneagle.com/article...eeding-schools

Quote:
* 100 Willoughby St.: Real estate-obsessed readers take note: AvalonBay's spokesman said 100 Willoughby is the address the developer is using now for this project. It is also referred to as 88 Willoughby St. or Avalon Willoughby West.

A deep hole has been dug at the site, and we saw a parked bulldozer and a small group of workers toting things around when we peeked through a tiny observation window in the fence.
Quote:
Construction started this week and will be done in roughly three years, with first apartments ready for occupancy in June or July 2015, the AvalonBay spokesman said. There will be 826 rental apartments, he noted; 860 were originally planned.

The spokesman sent us a comment from Martin Piazzola, senior vice president for development, about the competition to be Brooklyn's tallest residential building.

“When we were designing our building, we really didn't focus on how tall 388 Bridge St. would be,” Piazzola said. “We just wanted to design the best building we could for the site.”

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 1:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRebel View Post
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!
Hmm, we need some photos to confirm actual construction, and not just a hole in the ground getting ready for construction.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 5:44 PM
aka Studdedleather

True. If possible I'll attempt to get some pix while I'm down there. I'm just excited its about to start!

City Point is also rising fast! I'll take some photos of the progress as well.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 9:28 PM

©tectonic

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 5:41 AM
aka Studdedleather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post

©tectonic
OMG thank you! I'm not sure if you guys remember but back in March/April, when I did a quick update I told you I saw a new rendering! THIS was it!! What do you guys think about it? I think it's way better than the first ones.

The rendering easily looks better than 388.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRebel View Post
EXCITING NEWS!!!

He was pretty cool and he even showed me a new rendering of the building. I'm sorry I didn't ask if I could take a pic for you guys (I was a bit excited) but I will say it's more glassy than what we see here (more blue-ish it seemed, and nothing like the renderings we have posted. In a good way though, nothing too drastic)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 5:45 AM
BANNED

An excellent addition to Brooklyn.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 3:16 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of December 28, 2013...
Photo Credit: Tectonic

Avalon Willoughby is still a giant hole in the ground.

©tectonic | granted permission to post photos here

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Dec 29, 2013 at 6:47 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 4:33 PM

Can the admin/moderator please move this over to the "High rise Construction" thread forum? Thanks

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 2:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleonzo View Post
Can the admin/moderator please move this over to the "High rise Construction" thread forum? Thanks
When it's under construction. Photos presented still show us a "hole in the ground."

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 5:42 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories...0-bk_37_2.html

Bay Watch: Contractor for Brooklyn’s soon-to-be-tallest building caught apparently stealing city water

By Matt Perlman
December 31, 2013

Quote:
Brooklyn’s soon-to-be tallest building has apparently been stealing city water.

The construction crew for the Downtown tower Avalon Willoughby West, which is slated to become the borough’s tallest building in 2015, has been siphoning water from a fire hydrant since at least last week. The city sells $55 permits for builders to take hydrant water legally, but an official said developer Avalon Bay had no such pass.

"We do not have a record of a permit for using the fire hydrant at this location,” a spokesman for the Department of Environmental Protection said.

The site at Willoughby and Duffield streets is just a hole in the ground now, but a 57-story, 596-foot residential building is slated to rise there by 2015, beating out the nearby Brooklyner and also-under-construction neighbor 388 Bridge Street for the title of loftiest tower.

In addition to getting the environmental protection department’s slip, builders are required by the fire department to keep hydrants accessible during construction with a hand-operated shut-off valve and a secondary hose connection that firefighters can tap into in an emergency. The Avalon Willoughby West contractor set-up has the required nozzles, but on Monday, the hose was leaking a steady stream of water into the gutter, leaving the pedestrian path, a temporary sidewalk diversion for the construction, wet and muddy.

The city sent inspectors to the site on Monday afternoon, but by the time they arrived, work had ceased for the day and the contraption was gone.

The fine for failing to file for a hydrant permit starts at $750. The company did not immediately respond to requests for comment by phone and e-mail.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 8:07 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Curbed NY:

Checking In On The Site Of Brooklyn's Tallest Tower-To-Be
Monday, January 6, 2014, by Hana R. Alberts

Quote:
...work started back in October, and though it doesn't seem like much progress has been made, construction is scheduled to be complete by the end of 2015.

Reminds me of One57's façade... the glass of course.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 9:24 PM
New Yorker for life

We're getting basically 600 ft here. Let the next "big" one jump us up to 800 ft! Brooklyn needs some towers to move above the pack.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
We're getting basically 600 ft here. Let the next "big" one jump us up to 800 ft! Brooklyn needs some towers to move above the pack.
Crain's just put out an article on the dearth of office space in downtown Brooklyn yesterday. Hopefully we can see a commercial or mixed-use tower go up soon that will do just that.

Brooklyn: The place to be, if you can find the space

January 5, 2014

Andrew J. Hawkins

Spurred by cheap and roomy offices or visions of waterfront warehouses within biking distance for their youthful workforces, corporate heavyweights and fast-growing startups alike are casting about Brooklyn in search of commercial space. And they're turning up empty.

"We're in a crisis mode," said Christopher Havens, a commercial real estate broker with AptsandLofts.com. "Everything's in shortage, from townhouses on down."

The search for office space in the borough is likely to be a major plotline in the story of its economic health in 2014. There are more than 100 tenants in the market in Dumbo—already bursting at the seams with 500-plus tech companies—and downtown Brooklyn that can't find space, Mr. Havens said, adding that it is the tightest office market since World War II.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 6:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The search for office space in the borough is likely to be a major plotline in the story of its economic health in 2014. There are more than 100 tenants in the market in Dumbo—already bursting at the seams with 500-plus tech companies—and downtown Brooklyn that can't find space, Mr. Havens said, adding that it is the tightest office market since World War II.

Ironically Downtown Brooklyn was rezoned with the idea of adding more commercial space, similar to what was being pushed for Long Island City in Queens. But like LIC, residential has been the story.

This is one of the reasons we saw commercial space added to the Domino plan, though it's removed from DT Brooklyn. However, even that may not survive the LPC.

It just goes to show you how hungry New York is for space. Land is limited, the best option is always up. A lot of these developments in Brooklyn look big enough to have included some commercial space. Transportation to the area rivals anything in Manhattan, so perhaps a mixed-use tower with residential on the upper floors could work in the future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive