HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 5:28 AM

420,000 s.f. / ((200 * 200) * 0.75) = 14 stories

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 6:51 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
My guess is the building will probably just a bit shorter than the Hatfield building.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 7:00 AM

I'm glad they didn't take the full block. I'd rather see as few sq ft of downtown used on this to force them to build a higher tower, and save the full block for a future development that would probably have more of a first floor presence.

Hopefully they go more than 14 floors and don't make it just a big square L in such a high visibility location.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 7:10 AM

Not to go too far off thread but does anyone know what the future holds for the old Federal Courthouse just off Broadway downtown? Is it still being used for sets for TV shows and/or Federal Bankruptcy hearings? I am referring to the Federal Building in SW Portland (situated close to the Performing Arts Center) and not to be confused with the Federal Building(s) in NW Portland.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 7:54 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
Not to go too far off thread but does anyone know what the future holds for the old Federal Courthouse just off Broadway downtown? Is it still being used for sets for TV shows and/or Federal Bankruptcy hearings? I am referring to the Federal Building in SW Portland (situated close to the Performing Arts Center) and not to be confused with the Federal Building(s) in NW Portland.
Wikipedia is saying this.

Quote:
Currently the courthouse is used for a variety of tasks, including new citizen swearing-in ceremonies.[7] Other non-court uses have been as a scene for a local play,[8] and as a setting for a courtroom scene in the Hollywood movie The Hunted.[9] The building is also home to Congressman David Wu’s local office.[10] Plans called for the federal bankruptcy court of Oregon to move into the building along with the Internal Revenue Service after renovations.[11] There have been proposals to use the building as the headquarters for a proposed Twelfth Circuit Court of Appeals to be created from a split of the Ninth Circuit.[12]

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 9:59 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
The Federal Courthouse is 16 floors/563,000 ft^2/318 footer. So ~20' floors.

I doubt a new County courthouse would have such tall floor-to-floor heights, so perhaps 14' - giving us ~150' height for a 14 story building?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Wikipedia is saying this.
Thanks for the info/update...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 12:56 AM

Height Limits

Both the preferred and the secondary locations have 200' height limits under current zoning. Under the proposed 2035 plan they would both increase to 325' - While I prefer to not harm VQ in any way (great restaurant and everyone who hasn't should try it out), it makes the most overall sense for government to occupy that awkward L-shaped land and leave the KOIN parking lot for a commercial developer. There are issues with the county-owned property with foot traffic, vehicle access and the on-ramp which runs through the center of it. If Multnomah County is going to occupy a piece of real estate, I'd prefer they occupy a plot of land that is not prime and that they leave high quality land for development by the market. If they chose not to occupy the KOIN lot, then there may be a 325' height limit for available for the future development. We know that the new Courthouse won't be over 200' given the land they've chosen.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 7:44 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNative View Post
Both the preferred and the secondary locations have 200' height limits under current zoning. Under the proposed 2035 plan they would both increase to 325' - While I prefer to not harm VQ in any way (great restaurant and everyone who hasn't should try it out), it makes the most overall sense for government to occupy that awkward L-shaped land and leave the KOIN parking lot for a commercial developer. There are issues with the county-owned property with foot traffic, vehicle access and the on-ramp which runs through the center of it. If Multnomah County is going to occupy a piece of real estate, I'd prefer they occupy a plot of land that is not prime and that they leave high quality land for development by the market. If they chose not to occupy the KOIN lot, then there may be a 325' height limit for available for the future development. We know that the new Courthouse won't be over 200' given the land they've chosen.
If I am not mistaken, I think the lot next to KOIN has a limitation to it because I think the FAR for that lot was used on KOIN so that only a stubby little building could be built on that lot.

Though this in for is from years ago and don't know how accurate it is.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 1:01 PM

It's surprising to me that the County would be interested in a partial block. If I correctly recall the initial news of the RFP to find a property, they were looking for more than a block of contiguous real estate. I would've guessed they'd go to the Lloyd District where they could more easily find large undeveloped swaths of property. Given that government buildings don't generate property tax, I'm all for moving the courthouse to underutilized county property.

Hopefully an innovative developer will make use of the existing courthouse building. It's one of the most dense historic buildings in the city - the largest building in the city at the time it was built I think.. Maybe add a window well, go up a few more floors, rooftop bar/restaurant..

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
It's surprising to me that the County would be interested in a partial block. If I correctly recall the initial news of the RFP to find a property, they were looking for more than a block of contiguous real estate. I would've guessed they'd go to the Lloyd District where they could more easily find large undeveloped swaths of property. Given that government buildings don't generate property tax, I'm all for moving the courthouse to underutilized county property.

Hopefully an innovative developer will make use of the existing courthouse building. It's one of the most dense historic buildings in the city - the largest building in the city at the time it was built I think.. Maybe add a window well, go up a few more floors, rooftop bar/restaurant..
I like the idea of going up a few floors, but as a reappropriated skyscraper with all the original finishes on the first floors.

I can dream...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 4:12 AM
A before E

Apparently the county is saying they don't want to use the patio land that the VQ is using. Will definitely be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 4:03 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Apparently the county is saying they don't want to use the patio land that the VQ is using. Will definitely be interesting to see how this all turns out.
That'll be interesting... the VQ would end up having a patio on the side of the courthouse. Well, one thing is certain: the owner of the VQ is going to hate having construction next door, but his building sits beside a vacant lot downtown, and the idea that the lot would be vacant forever is ridiculous. The courthouse generates a LOT of foot traffic. I have to assume that'll be good for the VQ in the long run.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:36 AM

Images taken from the Site Selection Open House presentation boards [PDF]. No design team has been chosen yet - these images are by HDR, who are assisting in the site selection process. They are mostly there to illustrate program and massing.

Preferred site

Alternate Site

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 7:02 AM

The arcade is an interesting idea in the alternate site. What's up with the "Exterior Entry Plaza" in the bridgehead site? Is the building cantilevered over it?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 7:08 AM

I wish they would ditch the L shape for one that would make the courthouse taller or at the very least appear less stumpy.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 8:23 AM
A before E

I actually don't mind either option, but if they pick the waterfront site, then they better pick a damn good architect to design it. No BS bland facade building. If they want to go bland, then the site next to the KOIN will be better.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 8:30 PM

Quote:
I actually don't mind either option, but if they pick the waterfront site, then they better pick a damn good architect to design it. No BS bland facade building. If they want to go bland, then the site next to the KOIN will be better.
Never going to happen, but for some reason I can imagine Rogers Stirk Harbour designing an amazing courthouse.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 8:19 AM

It seems odd to me to have a high profile public building on less than a full block. However, the massing study and concept renderings look like the potential is there to make it work. Keeping the two existing buildings on the site will give it more character too I suppose.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
It seems odd to me to have a high profile public building on less than a full block. However, the massing study and concept renderings look like the potential is there to make it work. Keeping the two existing buildings on the site will give it more character too I suppose.
Unless a building is going 500+ feet it seems a waste to use a while city block on a single building. I'd rather save the site next to the KOIN tower for something bigger.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland