HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 5:20 AM

This is interesting. Proposal for shopping center and apartments on the north-west corner of Golf Links and Houghton (south of Old Spanish Trail). Most buildings will be 40-50 feet tall, with an exception for a building of up to 100 feet tall in the area where the maximum is 50 feet, and a 45 foot tall theatre in the area where the maximum is 40 feet. This will be voted on in at the next city council meeting on 4/8/14.
Link to the proposal: http://www.tucsonaz.gov/sirepub/cache/2/ayni0mzkwnzzsasiqw2gyf3q/602759504062014093055516.PDF
Link to the next city council meeting agenda: http://www.tucsonaz.gov/sirepub/mtgv...doctype=AGENDA

Last edited by Patrick S; Apr 7, 2014 at 4:35 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
This is interesting. Proposal for shopping center and apartments on the north-west corner of Golf Links and Houghton (south of Old Spanish Trail). Most buildings will be 40-50 feet tall, with an exception for a building of up to 100 feet tall in the area where the maximum is 50 feet, and a 45 foot tall theatre in the area where the maximum is 40 feet. This will be voted on in at the next city council meeting on 4/8/14.
Link to the proposal: http://www.tucsonaz.gov/sirepub/cache/2/g4gj2w5g3gikxrsivuyfkryx/602759504052014100752918.PDF
Link to the next city council meeting agenda: http://www.tucsonaz.gov/sirepub/mtgv...doctype=AGENDA
That's about 4-5 floors and away from central Tucson. Can't wait to see the rendering of that proposal.

Looks like that's a sign of good things to come - 5 floor residential/retail buildings all over Tucson.

Could this be Tucson in the coming years... I sure hope so. Broadway, Speedway and Oracle should look like the photo on the left. Arm pit slums of Tucson such as Barrio Hollywood should look like the 2 photos to the right.

Last edited by farmerk; Apr 6, 2014 at 3:29 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 5:20 PM

Some screencaps from the PDF:

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
That's about 4-5 floors and away from central Tucson. Can't wait to see the rendering of that proposal.

Looks like that's a sign of good things to come - 5 floor residential/retail buildings all over Tucson.
I don't think it's going to be as dense as the images you showed - with buildings touching neighboring buildings - it's still going to be more suburban, but I agree it's a step in the right direction. The tallest building would be approximately 10 stories tall. That's unheard of out in this area (I live in the southeast side of Tucson too). There are some renderings in the first link I shared (nothing final or definitive though). I do like the idea of a theatre out here. Get some services out to this area (an area that's growing) so we don't have to drive so far. I'm excited to see what may become of this.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post

Those renderings look nice. They look somewhat similar to the Sentinel Plaza

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 12:58 AM

Don't know if this has been posted before but stumbled into this by accident.

Development Plan for Franklin Docks area - posted Dec 2012

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 4:50 AM

We've got some interesting stuff going on.I found this PDF which gives information about core campus' new lot at 1023 North Tyndall.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...64125504,d.aWc

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 12:36 PM

Nice find everyone. One development I would like to see move forward is downtown west. Getting tired of the delays and changes. I'm hoping they would be build something like this

source

It would be nice to see buildings that overwhelms everyone.

btw, the Mercado San Augustin ( little plaza with restaurants ) gets respectable number of visitors. I believe every Thursday there's a farmer's market in and around the plaza. Every now and then, the place is packed with customers. I'd say it's a success.

Last edited by farmerk; Apr 7, 2014 at 12:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 4:43 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
We've got some interesting stuff going on.I found this PDF which gives information about core campus' new lot at 1023 North Tyndall.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...64125504,d.aWc
I'm intrigued that they are only talking about six stories for this new building. From the Main Gate Overlay map, that plot looked like it had a 12 story limit and Mama's plot was the one with a six story limit.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 9:28 PM

I'm not too concerned about the height. I just hope the finishes on the second HUB building are nicer than on the current building. Seeing each concrete floor from the exterior is pretty bad. I read that the second HUB building in Tempe is significantly nicer than the first one, so there's hope.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
Don't know if this has been posted before but stumbled into this by accident.

Development Plan for Franklin Docks area - posted Dec 2012

I thought 6th was getting re-routed a little bit north and going to have an underpass with with the train tracks as part of the Downtown Links plan. If that is still happening, I'd imagine this development would have to wait until that project is finished and the property lines would need to be adjusted.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 1:44 AM

Had some time to kill so I drove around the new communities coming up in southeast Houghton (Mary Ann Cleveland) . The neighborhoods are very nice. The houses are fairly chap (considering the size). Rising from about 6 months ago I'd say that the communities are already about 40% full. It's nice to see Tucson grow again, especially after our estimated loss of 40,000 people in 2010.If you do have time to look at the houses DON'T because they'll make you jealous!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 5:43 AM

On 6/22/2012, Tucson annexed an approximately 354 acre area called Valencia Crossings. I originally thought it was the area near Valencia and Kolb. I actually had mentioned this on one of my posts from 7/17/2012 (page 159 on this site). This area has changed a bit from the original design. Valencia now looks to go through the area, and not to the south of it.

Also, this area wasn't annexed until March of this year.

So, this was actually not the right area called 'Valencia Crossing'. There is another area called Valencia Crossing, and it was the area annexed in 2012. It's at Valencia and I-10 and here's a link to this proposed shopping center: http://evgre.com/wp-content/uploads/...nuary-2014.pdf

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 6:18 AM

I saw an article about this in the paper a couple weeks ago, but I just found the information on the Census website. Their new population estimates are out for metro areas for 2013. Tucson metro area has gained 16,291 people since the 2010 census. Add that to the metro population of 980,263 at that time and our metro population is 996,554 (and an increase of only 1.66% since 2010). We should hit the one million mark next year. But, there are some disturbing facts in the report for Tucson too. The population increase per year for the 3.25 years since the census (4/1/10 - 7/1/13) is 5,012.62 per year. Last year we gained 4,159 - below the average of the first 2.25 years. Also, last year, though our international migration was 1,754 - we lost 980 people to the rest of the country (including other parts of Arizona). This puts our total domestic migration for the 3.25 years since the census at -83, meaning until we were -980 last year, we had actually gained 897 people from the rest of the US before last year. Our international migration in the 3+ years since the census was 5,708 - which makes up almost 1/3 of the total increase in that time.

Phoenix, on the other hand has gained 205,874 total since the census and 78,486 from domestic migration.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 4:02 PM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
I'm not too concerned about the height. I just hope the finishes on the second HUB building are nicer than on the current building. Seeing each concrete floor from the exterior is pretty bad. I read that the second HUB building in Tempe is significantly nicer than the first one, so there's hope.
http://pdsd.tucsonaz.gov/files/pdsd/...Site_Plans.pdf

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 4:47 PM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleunick View Post
Great find! I've been scouring the internet for weeks trying to find a rendering of this! I'm too curious why its only 6 floors when that lot allows 12. perhaps they changed the Overlay district?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleunick View Post
Thanks for the post! I was looking like hell for this the other day!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
Great find! I've been scouring the internet for weeks trying to find a rendering of this! I'm too curious why its only 6 floors when that lot allows 12. perhaps they changed the Overlay district?
This is a curious mystery. There had to be a change to the UOD. The finishes look much nicer at least.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 2:18 AM

Looks like the first Kino PADs are going to be built on at the Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges. The Kino PADs are on the small strip to the east of the of Kino, across Kino from the main section of the Bridges. The first business going in there is a Culver's. This link is from March, 2014.http://www.landadvisors.com/pdf/AZPM04037-91260PAD.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest