HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 7:04 PM

Arrow Thinking of relocating out west for work

Hi guys I'm writing today because my wife and I have been talking about moving out of Windsor for a few years due to lack of opportunity here and we're bantering about places we could move to.

I've always been partial to going out west and I was just wondering if anyone had any stories to share or advice on relocating to say, Calgary and how that process unfolded for them and if it was difficult or easy.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 7:59 PM

If you come to Calgary, do your homework first! This city is rapidly becoming unaffordable, and housing stock is in short supply (especially rentals) and to make it worse lots of landlords demand first and last months rent up front. Lots of people have come here without a plan and have ended up in shelters or on the street.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 8:01 PM

What lines of work are you and your wife in?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 4:16 PM

My wife is in administration/secretarial type of work with a background in business admin. and medical admin. Myself I've been in manufacturing for the last 17 years making seat belts for Toyota. I have some schooling in electrical and I was trying to get into an electrical apprenticeship which is damned near impossible in Windsor atm. It's definitely a who ya know town.

I'm looking to break into the electrical trade and thought out west might provide better opportunity for a skilled trade like that.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
My wife is in administration/secretarial type of work with a background in business admin. and medical admin. Myself I've been in manufacturing for the last 17 years making seat belts for Toyota. I have some schooling in electrical and I was trying to get into an electrical apprenticeship which is damned near impossible in Windsor atm. It's definitely a who ya know town.

I'm looking to break into the electrical trade and thought out west might provide better opportunity for a skilled trade like that.
Electrical is a good trade especially in Alberta verifiable hours will be your saving grace in finding a job and 17 years in manufacturing will help show you know how to do production your looking at a varying wage between 16-28 dollars as a first year/Laborer.Edmonton is a little better for trade work as it is a blue collar town and Calgary is more white collar but Calgary is a scenically nicer place to live.But with the price of oil its getting a bit tougher to break into the trade even out here its who you know not what you know.Check indeed.ca and then call some of the employers. Cant really help with any of your info for your wife.

Good luck

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 11:30 PM

Not sure about in the cities, but the only jobs that really disappeared in rural Alberta were high-pay no-skill jobs like labourers. If you've got a skill, you should be able to find work.

While Edmonton would be better for a trade, your wife might have a better time making a career in Calgary.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 5:04 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:

I don't have much advice on the specific parts of this, but if you're skilled, you shouldn't have much trouble finding work in Calgary or Edmonton. If you look at the downturn in 2009-2010, our employment base and population were still growing. You're not looking to get into O & G so it shouldn't be a problem. Mine and my partner's jobs are still hiring new people. I know that's anecdotal, but like I said, if you're looking to work, you'll find it Good luck! Hope to see you at an SSP Calgary meetup someday!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 6:52 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Hi guys I'm writing today because my wife and I have been talking about moving out of Windsor for a few years due to lack of opportunity here and we're bantering about places we could move to.

I've always been partial to going out west and I was just wondering if anyone had any stories to share or advice on relocating to say, Calgary and how that process unfolded for them and if it was difficult or easy.
Moved from Vancouver to Calgary back in 2000

Already had a job lined up, took an apartment over the phone, loaded up a u-haul with my meagre posessions, threw my old Volvo on a trailer behind it and off I went.

Same conditions when I moved to Edmonton in 2004

Electrical is a good field to get into, primarily because there will always be demand and there are such a wide assortment of people with varying degrees of commitment, accountability and drive in that field. Too many loser electricians out there, so good ones are valuable

I've hired a lot of electricians over the years. I always tell the young guys; Show up to site on time, sober, be willing to work and expand your knowledge base and you will have a job for life.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia