HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 11:16 PM

Because, what is Canadian is peace, order and good government. We would like to have our threads ordered. What's the point in having categories if nothing gets files properly.

I do find this thread interesting, just oddly placed. I just find it odd how unused the Toronto section is when there is plenty of content for it.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 11:18 PM

Just to try to be slightly connected to the thread topic, is there any connection between Toronto's Trump Tower and Donald Trump other than his surname?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
Because, what is Canadian is peace, order and good government. We would like to have our threads ordered. What's the point in having categories if nothing gets files properly.

I do find this thread interesting, just oddly placed. I just find it odd how unused the Toronto section is when there is plenty of content for it.
Video Link

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
This thread has been hilarious to read, even more so now that our resident Trump apologists have joined the fray.
The collective need that some of you have for safe spaces where no one disagrees with your political views is really out of control.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
You actually think that Donald Trump DOESN'T have a personality disorder? I am astonished. The reason I think it's worthy of focus is because we are entering a time when it could have massive impacts on all of us, which is scary when you can't do anything much to mitigate.
No, I don't believe he has a personality disorder, and moreover I don't genuinely believe anyone really does, outside of opportunistic vacuous political attacks that only exist in the bizarro world of political discourse.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Just look at his twitter account or watch that dumpster fire of a "press conference" he held the other day.
Political discourse in 2017 means looking at a person's twitter account and playing armchair psychologist. This is the levels of absurdity we have sunk too.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 11:23 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Terrorist fist jab actually happened in real life, so... nothing surprises me anymore.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
This made me laugh out loud uncontrollably in the office

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Why shouldn't we expect a higher standard from individuals that through their investment affect so many lives? How many jobs were lost the first time he severely over leveraged himself forcing the banks to write off nearly half a billion dollars. How many jobs were ended the next time he pulled it off. Sorry, but he's a dick to use his privileged status and continue to shield himself through scale while making super risky decisions all the while he flies around on his bloated jet. He sucks at business. He's an expert at manipulating the systems though. Unfortunately, he's far from the only one out there to use his inherited wealth and connections so you do have a point.
I will say, Trump leveraged the laws that exist to protect himself, and if politicians didn't like it (such as Obama or Hillary) they could have simply brought it up before and spent their political capital prioritizing fixes for the problems that Trump exploited.

Trump himself had no problem loudly shining lights on the laws he used to protect himself during the presidential debates, and rightly called out other politicians for only complaining about it since he was their incidental political opponent of the day.

Banks and lenders and financiers are not little babies that need more and more laws to protect them. Those banks knew the risks, and they signed the contracts, and they understood the bankruptcy laws.

We are living in an absurd age where political opponents of Trump are out there defending the "little guy banks" from big bad Trump.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 11:34 PM

Someone buy it and get that chode's name off our skyline!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 11:35 PM

I don't think it's that easy

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
No, I don't believe he has a personality disorder, and moreover I don't genuinely believe anyone really does, outside of opportunistic vacuous political attacks that only exist in the bizarro world of political discourse.
Seriously? You can listen to how the man lies constantly and don't think he has some kind of personality disorder? It never fails to amaze how anybody, whether they're on the Right or not, can defend human garbage like Trump.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Well, we definitely disagree about that. I am not in the profession, so not in a position to offer some kind of diagnosis. I grant him the crudity (we live in crude times), the aggressiveness (he is, after all, a New Yorker!), and perhaps even the constant braggadocio (could just be an act, or his view of how to market himself, something at which he obviously excels). He is clearly high-functioning. However, the obsessive need to win/be seen as a winner, the child-like need to lash out in dismissive/offensive terms against any criticism or failure to defer, and his weak relationship with the truth (perhaps more accurately an extraordinary level of comfort with untruth) all suggest to me that this is a person with issues. To the extent that they contribute to his political success or failure, they seem to me to be fair game for commentary and criticism. It may well be that his "issues" made a significant contribution to his election victory.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 12:31 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
I will say, Trump leveraged the laws that exist to protect himself, and if politicians didn't like it (such as Obama or Hillary) they could have simply brought it up before and spent their political capital prioritizing fixes for the problems that Trump exploited.

Trump himself had no problem loudly shining lights on the laws he used to protect himself during the presidential debates, and rightly called out other politicians for only complaining about it since he was their incidental political opponent of the day.

Banks and lenders and financiers are not little babies that need more and more laws to protect them. Those banks knew the risks, and they signed the contracts, and they understood the bankruptcy laws.

We are living in an absurd age where political opponents of Trump are out there defending the "little guy banks" from big bad Trump.
I'm not in disagreement with you except that Trump has always displayed little regard to moral standing which has been a disservice for many people unintentionally caught up in his schemes. We can question the ethics and self preservation of Hillary , Obama and many other before them but, one thing for sure, Trump will be easier fodder for schemers much worst than him; some of those banks you speak of too. You just have to cut him in.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 12:41 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
This is plain nutty.

You don't need to have a degree to realize there's something wrong whether it constitutes a personality disorder or some underlying addiction. It's hard for anyone to have not had first hand experience with disorders. It's as common as ice in winter.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 12:58 AM

I'm curious if anyone has the rendering of the original Ritz Carlton proposal for Bay/Adelaide (circa 2000) The 'Taj Mahal' design featured some sort of titanium dome on the top.

It was later revised to a green glass design very similar to what we got today.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 1:13 AM
I am the law!

tobuilt.ca had it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 2:19 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Man, it's taking every ounce of self-control I have to stay out of this debate...

I don't give a rats ass about ideology but it annoys me to no end when people call Trump stupid or crazy. The man single handedly out-maneuvered the Democrats, Republicans and the big media organizations. People a lot smarter than me (hedge fund managers I'm familiar with) predicted he would win one year ago, when every other armchair analyst called him a longshot including me. Meanwhile, these people who not only predicted his win but made a bag of money on their predictions (shorting the Mexican peso and various Mexican indexes) also took the time to break down why they thought he would win. What I gathered from all this was that the man is a marketing genius. What people think of as crazy is him using extreme statements alongside balanced ideas to get his message out into the media (for free). Hillary (a war criminal who made catastrophic blunders in the Middle East, such as funding the groups that eventually merged to create ISIS) spent over a hundred million on campaign ads, Trump spent a few thousand. The free advertising he received was worth hundreds of millions and it worked. The man is smarter than most of the dumb pundits insulting him will ever be. You don't have to like his policies but calling him dumb and crazy is more reflective of the faculties of those making such statements.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Man, it's taking every ounce of self-control I have to stay out of this debate...

I don't give a rats ass about ideology but it annoys me to no end when people call Trump stupid or crazy. The man single handedly out-maneuvered the Democrats, Republicans and the big media organizations. People a lot smarter than me (hedge fund managers I'm familiar with) predicted he would win one year ago, when every other armchair analyst called him a longshot including me. Meanwhile, these people who not only predicted his win but made a bag of money on their predictions (shorting the Mexican peso and various Mexican indexes) also took the time to break down why they thought he would win. What I gathered from all this was that the man is a marketing genius. What people think of as crazy is him using extreme statements alongside balanced ideas to get his message out into the media (for free). Hillary (a war criminal who made catastrophic blunders in the Middle East, such as funding the groups that eventually merged to create ISIS) spent over a hundred million on campaign ads, Trump spent a few thousand. The free advertising he received was worth hundreds of millions and it worked. The man is smarter than most of the dumb pundits insulting him will ever be. You don't have to like his policies but calling him dumb and crazy is more reflective of the faculties of those making such statements.
I'm the furthest thing from a Trump fan but I see some truth in those statements. I disagree with his approach, and have enormous issues with his disrespect of the press, his brash/rude demeanour, no consideration for factual information or science (Trump does live in his own world). He really does make it up as he goes along. I can't stand how he used minorities and hate to prop up a base to propel him into power. Nobody knows how the next 4 years will play out. I hope much better then my worst fears....

HOWEVER.... the man is no dummy. He knows how to get what he wants and he out played everyone in that election. As much as I do not like him, there is a small element of respect I give him for that. He's not stupid, he's actually very smart with marketing and jumping on an opportunity. I just hope he uses reason when governing.

Last edited by travis3000; Jan 14, 2017 at 2:59 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I'm the furthest thing from a Trump fan but I see some truth in those statements. I disagree with his approach, and have enormous issues with his disrespect of the press, his brash/rude demeanour, no consideration for factual information or science (Trump does live in his own world). He really does make it up as he goes along. I can't stand how he used minorities and hate to prop up a base to propel him into power. Nobody knows how the next 4 years will play out. I hope much better then my worst fears....

HOWEVER.... the man is no dummy. He knows how to get what he wants and he out played everyone in that election. As much as I do not like him, there is a small element of respect I give him for that. He's not stupid, he's actually very smart with marketing and jumping on an opportunity. I just hope he uses reason when governing.
It seems a pretty safe bet to suggest that the next four years will be tumultuous. Whether that's good or bad (and good/bad for whom) remains to be seen.

Edit: I should have said tumultuous if Trump stays in office for the full term. I'm not sure even that is a given, at this stage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada