HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Plus the inside / windows can get loud and stuffy while an outdoor space will always feel free. Not including this was one of the many big blunders of this tower I think.
This is exactly how I felt in the Sears Tower... cool views, but the enclosed space just isn't as exciting as say, 30 Rock or the ESB. It brings the experience to a whole other level when you're outside. I much preferred the John Hancock Tower (even the indoor views-- maybe it's something to do with the floor layout).

I never got to visit the 2 WTC obs. deck, athough I had a memorable day getting tkts tix there w/family in Summer '01. Kind of wish I did, kind of glad I didn't.

wheelchairguy

stufox

stilesjp

chuckybmore

chuckybmore

Last edited by mrjoanofarc; Nov 6, 2014 at 9:30 AM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 1:18 PM
New Yorker for life

I love those views from the rings. But the indoor deck will be sufficient for the new deck.

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertisi...r-views-161183

How One World Trade Center Is Branding Its Spectacular Views
Taking marketing to the 102nd floor

By Robert Klara
November 5, 2014

Quote:
In the old days (say, 1996) if you wanted to check out the views from the top of the World Trade Center, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey charged you eight bucks for the ear-popping elevator ride to the observation deck.

When the new observatory of One World Trade Center opens in the spring, the tourism-venue management giant Legends will charge you $32 ($26 for kids) to be whisked up to the One World Observatory where you can regard the view through the Sky Portal, watch a video at the See Forever Theater or speak to a concierge at the City Pulse desk. Even the elevators aren't elevators anymore; they’re called Sky Pods now.

The prices, the amenities and especially the names for the amenities—all are evidence of the latest big change to come to downtown Manhattan. The city's highest tourist perch is back, and this time it's fully branded.

"This is much more than a ride on an elevator to get a view and go back down," Legends CEO David Checketts told Adweek. "We had to come up with these names to let people know that they'll have an experience up there. The brand should sell that experience."

Which is to say, selling the view. If you brand the observation deck, you're effectively branding a 50-mile vista of the tri-state area, no?

"That's a great point. It's interesting from that perspective," Checketts said. "But I'm not sure it would work if this were just any tall building in New York."

Well, don't be so sure. Observation decks are back in the city that once boasted as many as 12 of them. And as they vie for their share of the $38.8 billion that visitors drop every year, "view branding" is in full effect.

Last year the Empire State Building completed a rebranding effort that included the spruce-up of its observation deck, now the centerpiece of "The Empire State Building Experience." Competing with nearby "Top of the Rock"—the 70th floor observation terrace that Rockefeller Center reopened in 2005—the Empire advertises that its 86th floor, at 1,050 feet, is "the highest open-air observatory in New York." But that boast won't last forever. When the 1,227-foot-high 30 Hudson Yards tower opens on Manhattan's west side, its open-air observation deck will become the highest.

But One World Observatory could eclipse all of them, not just because of its height (1,250 feet), but—as Checketts tactfully put it—"for all the reasons you know." The World Trade Center is hallowed ground. The 9/11 Memorial drew 10 million visitors last year. And while it's a delicate point, the fact is that all tourism is income, and the Port Authority needs it. One World Trade Center cost nearly $4 billion to build, and the PA reportedly hopes to generate 25 percent of its revenues just from the observation deck.

That's going to require some first-rate marketing, and Legends has been hard at it. The hospitality company—which operates other New York City tourist landmarks including Circle Line cruises and Yankee Stadium—beat out at least 15 competing firms for the chance to operate the observatory. It's also spent nearly three years designing and naming seemingly every square foot of the new space—from the Sky Portal (a 14-foot-wide disk in the floor that gives visitors a high-def view of the streets below) to the Sky Pods (the fastest elevators in the world, according to the press materials).

The observatory has its own marque, whose oblong "W" shape borrows from the building's structural profile, and also its own tagline: "See Forever."

“We all made our contributions here or there to come up with these names,” Checketts said. “Our whole team was trying to see what we could do to give us an edge to win. That was in our grasp when we came up with the ‘See Forever’ line. When I heard that, I knew it would resonate.”

And no doubt it will. Prior to its destruction in the Sept. 11 attacks, the old World Trade Center drew 1.8 million visitors a year. This time, 3.5 million is the goal—a figure that’ll generate $53 million in revenue yearly. In fact, the Port Authority has understood the value of the building's top floor for quite some time. In 1997, it sank $6 million into renovating the top floor of 2 World Trade Center and pushing the adult admission price to a scandalous $10. Still, the old observatory’s 18,000 square feet was downright quaint compared to the 120,000-square foot, three-floor colossus that Legends will operate.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoanofarc View Post
This is exactly how I felt in the Sears Tower... cool views, but the enclosed space just isn't as exciting as say, 30 Rock or the ESB. It brings the experience to a whole other level when you're outside.
On my first trip to NYC, a college buddy of mine had moved to the city and worked in a high-rise near Bryant Park. He took me up to the roof of his building (~50 floors) and we had the roof to ourselves. I loved it more than any other observation deck - partly because it was outside, but also the scale of the city was more approachable at that height. There's something about being really high up but also still being at eye level with some of your neighbors that makes the view better in my opinion. Plus, you can get cool pictures of the ones near you that are taller, see examples below:

Ha - I just looked at the meta data from my pictures - they're 10 years ago today. How about that.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 3:43 PM

nm

my pictures from flikr don't seem to post on this board...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 11:06 PM
Euroscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
On my first trip to NYC, a college buddy of mine had moved to the city and worked in a high-rise near Bryant Park. He took me up to the roof of his building (~50 floors) and we had the roof to ourselves. I loved it more than any other observation deck - partly because it was outside, but also the scale of the city was more approachable at that height. There's something about being really high up but also still being at eye level with some of your neighbors that makes the view better in my opinion.
Oh so true. That's exactly how I felt when I was on the Top of the Rock back in 2008... I loved the ESB too of course, but having the city just a bit down there, all around you, it's simply amazing and expecially in the evening.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 1:22 AM
New Yorker for life

^ That's the beautiful thing about New York, a variety of height in the decks, and different points of view. Even the Staten Island Wheel will offer a unique perspective of the city and harbor.

Of course, the skyline itself is always changing, no view is always the same.

mikewaterhouse

Spiros Vathis

Bruce Bordner

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 3:43 AM

Hey! Is snowing yet? I won't be travel to NYC for a while. Right now, the weather is so bad out there.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 3:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Going to be sad when this thread is moved to the completed section. Such a great source of epic pictures and updates.

The CTBUH listed 1 WTC as complete recently.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:48 PM
weidncol

Complete on SSC as well.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 11:50 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 3:27 AM
Walk taker

The lights at the towers base seem to be pretty much lit at this point.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 4:49 AM

Just stunning

I know that people (not on this thread) will continue to hate on the building because of all the problems that went in to making it a reality. But I think that the end result has left us with a beautiful landmark. It's one of more important architectural projects of all time IMO.

That is because of the tragedy that occurred on that site more than 13 years ago. Whether or not it's the tallest building in the world doesn't matter to me. It's a statement to the world that our values and ideals will never change, even though there are those out there who seek to destroy us.

Yes as a country we have made many mistakes and we're still learning, but I believe that this is still the greatest place in the world. People died because they believed in this country, and there are us who continue to believe in this country. I think that One World Trade Center is a structure that every American can be proud of, and will enjoy for a very long time.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 8:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Going to be sad when this thread is moved to the completed section. Such a great source of epic pictures and updates.

The CTBUH listed 1 WTC as complete recently.
The photos will still be in the thread, it just won't be open to posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
They've been lit for a while now, and I'm not sure I like it. It's highlighting something that's not the best aspect of the tower. If the lighting were better, or more interesting, that could probably change.

varjagg

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post

I love this shot because you can look at T1 and T4 and see the office furniture (and moving boxes?) inside the offices... never been so glad to see office cubicles in my life

Anyway it's such a great symbol that at long last, after all of the controversy and redesigns and billions spent, there are working offices at the WTC once more... a little more normalcy restored.

Are those the Conde Nast floors in T1?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 6:53 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

The evolution and construction of this tower has played a huge part in the growth of many lives-- what a spectacular feeling it is to see One WTC giving back to the world as was intended.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 7:01 AM
New Yorker for life

November 9, 2014

2. Still not sure about this base lighting.

3. When they complete the base, it'll be wrapped around the entire building.

4. Maybe they should go with blue like 7 WTC

5. Or maybe the base will just match whatever lighting the spire has

7. The inviting entrance (that isn't an entrance)

10. Mr. Gorbachev, remove this fence

11. So that we may gaze upon the glorious plaza

13. I do like the lighting around the plaza

15. Fulton Street

16. A little disappointing how this street works out, but it's better than nothing

21. Old and new

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 7:12 AM
BANNED

I don't like it there. Too much blue glass already (in addition to the Shvo tower). Needs variety cuz this area will look mad bland in 2020

Maybe a limestone/beige colored building will help.....

Last edited by Perklol; Nov 10, 2014 at 3:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 2:23 PM

Great pics NYguy

In the renderings, the base lighting of WTC1 had a more vertical look, and a cooler tone, mimicking aspects of the memorial pools, and the spire. But this is a small quibble from me, the colour anyway could easily be changed, and I really like the other elements: the signage, the plaza lighting, the plantings and trees.

What can you do about the way Fulton street looks? In light of recent incidents in Canada, these security measures actually seem quite reasonable, unfortunately.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 4:40 PM

They're RGBW LEDs and the color can be changed. I think they can also do fancy animations and stuff although I think that would cheapen the building's design and location.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 5:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
They're RGBW LEDs and the color can be changed. I think they can also do fancy animations and stuff although I think that would cheapen the building's design and location.
I'm sure the lighting can be changed, it's just a question of will they.

As far as some mentioning "blue glass" buildings in the area, glass and lighting are two different things, especially at night. You can't compare the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoM Trespasser View Post
What can you do about the way Fulton street looks? In light of recent incidents in Canada, these security measures actually seem quite reasonable, unfortunately.
Well, there is the entirety of Manhattan that doesn't have these measures. They're redoing Times Square, which was the last sight of a major foiled plot, but they're not putting these types of measures there. I understand the need for security, but I also understand the need for open streets. Still, it's better than nothing, and separates the site from the memorial, though barely.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive