HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 9:28 PM

Shouldn't this thread be moved now. The building has tenants, clearly not under construction any more.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 10:05 PM
weidncol

^^ have you seen the east side lately...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 10:12 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Seriously?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/03/ny...is-remade.html

Condé Nast Moves Into the World Trade Center as Lower Manhattan Is Remade

By CHARLES V BAGLI
NOV. 2, 2014

This is perhaps one of the greatest views a person could experience right outside of a subway station.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:53 AM

I honestly can't believe that this building is completed. I remember when I first saw this building it gave me a huge interest in architecture. It was this building that made love architecture and start following these forums. It's pretty cool to think that most of the World Trade Center is now open "completed".

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Videos like this always make me wish those rings were observation levels...

Video Link
That's what I've always thought... Do you think it could ever be a possibility down the road? Or will they fill available space with various satellite dishes and antennae? Also... If they did open an obs deck on the rings... would the signal exposure be unhealthy?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:28 PM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoanofarc View Post
That's what I've always thought... Do you think it could ever be a possibility down the road?
You need a way to get visitors up and down from there. The internal infrastructure to do that wasn't put into the design.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:42 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr View Post
You need a way to get visitors up and down from there. The internal infrastructure to do that wasn't put into the design.
Where there's a will there's a way. It could always be twerked. I know there are elevators that go to the roof. There could always be additional infastructure built within the upper part of the structure (catwalks, escalators, ect...) that could always be integrated. With that said, that is still not the primary function at this point in time. Someday though... In the meantime though, I would not be at all suprised if people who work within the building will sneak friends up there. Not office workers, but those who have a big stake in the project or know any maintance workers. It's good to know the option 'is' there though.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
I honestly can't believe that this building is completed. I remember when I first saw this building it gave me a huge interest in architecture. It was this building that made love architecture and start following these forums. It's pretty cool to think that most of the World Trade Center is now open "completed".
Hmm, whilst I don't mean to diminish your enthusiasm, I would say that calling 'most' of the WTC 'open' or 'completed' is still a bit of a overstatement. Here's a recap of where everything stands as far as I know:

7 WTC is completed and has been open for a while.

4 WTC is completed, in the sense that the building is finished, minus internal build-outs which IMO don't count as building construction. The infrastructure is done.

1 WTC is almost done. The east facade is still not complete, the lobbies are not complete and they're still finishing up the internal infrastructure. I think it'll be a few more months until we can really mark this as complete (minus internal build-outs of course).

2 WTC is a stump and is so far from complete that it's not even under active construction anymore.

3 WTC is slowly growing, and will be a few more years before it's ready.

The PATH Terminal is roughly 60% done, with 1 open platform. They're on to the finishing touches of the PATH hall and the Occulus is coming together nicely.

The Westfield Mall (or whatever it's technically called) is underway in phases, and is looking really nice in the sections that are being finished up.

The 9/11 Memorial is completed and open.

The 9/11 Museum is completed and open.

The Vehicle Security Center should be nearing completion in the next few months. Liberty Park and the Greek Orthodox Church which sit above it are beginning to take shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoanofarc View Post
That's what I've always thought... Do you think it could ever be a possibility down the road? Or will they fill available space with various satellite dishes and antennae? Also... If they did open an obs deck on the rings... would the signal exposure be unhealthy?
I'm sure the views from the Observation Deck will be spectacular, but I agree that I miss the open air roof deck of 2 WTC. In that regard, I think the ESB and 30 Rock will always trump 1 WTC, because you can go outside. Looking through a window is cool, but feeling the wind in your hair makes you feel like you're flying. Plus the inside / windows can get loud and stuffy while an outdoor space will always feel free. Not including this was one of the many big blunders of this tower I think.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 9:32 PM
weidncol

VSC is now operational; so it's complete. Liberty Park will be open Summer 2015

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 10:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullymon54 View Post
Shouldn't this thread be moved now. The building has tenants, clearly not under construction any more.

Tenants moving in does not mean a building is "complete". Tenants were moving into the original complex before the upper floors were even completed. I went by the site earlier today,
and they haven't finished the cladding. From the looks of things though, this tower will be completed before Tower 4 (which was supposedly "complete" last year).

Anyway, with all of the site planning, long delays, design battles, and design revisions, it all comes down to this, which was the editorial for the Daily News today...

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/e...icle-1.1997903

Looking up

Quote:
Call it 1 World Trade Center or call it the Freedom Tower. Either way, call it open for business. The long-delayed 1,776-foot office tower (spire included) has its first paying tenants.
Kudos, with caveats.

Thirteen years after terrorists tore apart the skyline and murdered nearly 3,000 souls, the tower is a glittering monument to downtown’s resurgence, and the city’s perseverance.

Despite the many different designs that came and went and came and went, we salute the completion of a building that scrapes the sky.

For today, we’ll look past the fact that developer Larry Silverstein and the Port Authority took too much time, spent too much money and secured too few non-government tenants.

Instead, we celebrate the arrival of the first of thousands of Condé Nast employees. Welcome.

Bottom line, in the years to come, it won't really matter how long it took to get the building completed, or the various problems that came with the construction.
It will be seen as a triumphant return to the sky.

November 3, 2014

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 11:07 PM

My Photo. . .

. . .

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 11:22 PM
weidncol

4 WTC will be completely done by Late January, including retail in the podium.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 11:44 PM

Now that the building has officially opened, is the base permanently lit and is there a permanent lighting scheme for the spire?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 12:13 AM

Thank you NYguy for those great pics!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 1:58 PM
New Yorker for life

November 4, 2014

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
Now that the building has officially opened, is the base permanently lit and is there a permanent lighting scheme for the spire?
Yes and no. The base and spire have been consistently lit for the past few months. The base has been kept a dull off-white (they are full RBGW LEDs), the mechanical floors stay illuminated a natural white, and the Spire kept a cool purpleish white (RGB LEDs) turning off at midnight each night along with the beacon light (when operational).

This is the 'permanent' color scheme; the default when nothing else is going on, much like the ESB. What we haven't really seen (outside of early testing) is the color effects on the base / spire. There is no official word on when that will be switched on.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 5:02 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
^^ have you seen the east side lately...
In architectural terms, the east podium does belong to the tower; in construction logistics it doesn't. This area (including podium entrance and below grade levels) belongs to the hub project and VSC phase III. The Port and major stakeholders consider Tower 1 complete.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 9:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 5, 2014 at 10:23 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive