HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 12:57 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Visiting Toronto next weekend (Aug 31-Sept 3)

I've decided to spend the upcoming long weekend up in Toronto, mainly just to visit, wander, and probably visit the NHL Hall of Fame. Just wondering if anyone might want to meet up, show me the sights, etc... Let me know!

I've got some familiarity with the city, but it's always nice to get the five star tour from a fellow Forumer!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 8:21 PM

I hear J.Will wants to give you a tour.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 12:34 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

I'm more than willing to have J Will give me a tour! Just because we are at odds with each other on SSP doesn't mean we can't get along in real life! Haha

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 5:30 PM

No kidding, I'm sure most people here would get along a lot better in person than on the argue fest know as SSP.

I'd love to show you a few sites but I'm heading down to Philly for the long weekend, Made in America Music fest!

Ironically half the acts aren't american but any excuse to grab a philly cheese steak.

My best advice is just to walk the neighbourhoods in the square between The DVP on the east, Bathurst on the west, Bloor on the North and the lake to the south. Toronto doesn't' have a ton of big historical or cultural sites but just tons of great little neighbourhoods around the core.

There are too many to list, but some of my favourite neighbourhoods in no particular order would be:

- St Lawrence Market (a must see)
- Cabbage town
- Queen West
- The Annex
- Yorkville

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 5:44 PM

If you like big old historical homes and curb appeal I'd recommend Rosedale which is a little north of Bloor. I'd also recommend Yonge Street between Summerhill station ( Booze Palace) and Eglinton. This has some of the best cafes, bakeries, cafes and bars in the city.

I wouldn't recommend Yorkville apart from window shopping as everything there is overpriced.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 8:12 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Just so you know, I do know Toronto fairly well, as I've been there a number of times to see my family that still lives in the area. Anyhow, I figure I should definitely check out the Canadian National Exhibition probably on Saturday, need to check when the air show is as well. St. Lawrence Market is on my agenda as well, along with the NHL Hall of Fame. Other than that, just a lot of wandering around, really.

Still would like to meet up with some of you guys if you're in town, though!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 8:26 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
No kidding, I'm sure most people here would get along a lot better in person than on the argue fest know as SSP.

I'd love to show you a few sites but I'm heading down to Philly for the long weekend, Made in America Music fest!

Ironically half the acts aren't american but any excuse to grab a philly cheese steak.

My best advice is just to walk the neighbourhoods in the square between The DVP on the east, Bathurst on the west, Bloor on the North and the lake to the south. Toronto doesn't' have a ton of big historical or cultural sites but just tons of great little neighbourhoods around the core.

There are too many to list, but some of my favourite neighbourhoods in no particular order would be:

- St Lawrence Market (a must see)
- Cabbage town
- Queen West
- The Annex
- Yorkville
We'll be happy to have you as long as you remember that cheesesteak is one word.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2012, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
We'll be happy to have you as long as you remember that cheesesteak is one word.
Haha so I learned... one word and a way of life!

Made in America was great, as was the entire city. Had a really great vibe the entire weekend.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2012, 10:47 PM

Ah you left out:

kensington market

You must must see it ... there really aren't many (any?) areas in North America with a similar feel.

Just this weekend, I wondered upon a group of people with a bunch of drums (where some robs) marching down the street and quietly chanting / playing some instruments (something related to vishnu or what not ... I appolise I really have no idea).

Anyway yea you really must check it out, but prepare to hate it or love it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto