HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 5:50 PM

I believe they just poured the 24th floor so it's halfway to T/O

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
^^ The crane is attached, but not until about ~20 floors up. It was free standing until just recently. I still don't get why it is so far off the building.
When is the next phase of WP set to start? Is there any change they'll just leave the crane up for the next building? Or maybe they will take it down but put it back in up the same spot for the next building (I don't know much at all about construction so it might not make any sense to do that, just guessing).

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
When is the next phase of WP set to start? Is there any change they'll just leave the crane up for the next building? Or maybe they will take it down but put it back in up the same spot for the next building (I don't know much at all about construction so it might not make any sense to do that, just guessing).
There's no timeframe for the next tower yet. The project would still need to go back before the city. This crane will come down when tower 1 is completed.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 10:41 PM

I drove by Wolf Point today and noticed the same thing about the glass photographing significantly differently than it actually appears in real life. It's almost a grey-green with hues of blue or teal in it. It's really looking quite nice.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 11:00 PM
BANNED

I think it's about low sun angle and unending clouds. Brighter skies and cladding await.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 5:17 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
^^ The crane is attached, but not until about ~20 floors up. It was free standing until just recently. I still don't get why it is so far off the building.
Possibly they are positioning it to avoid relocation if/when Hines launches the next tower - East or South. Could be a nice cost-saving move if the timing works out. Sam seems confident we will see an office tower go up on spec - maybe it's this one.

I don't know where leasing is at with River Point, but maybe Hines feels confident enough to launch another tower without cannibalizing demand at their first office project.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 8:44 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Yeah - I think at least one.....maybe two............could Hines go spec office at Wolf Point? Sure, that's a possibility....anything's a possibility.

However, I'm really firming up on my expectation that the next tower to launch at Wolf Point will be mixed use luxury residential and hotel - and I think most likely this will be the tallest tower at Wolf Point and it will be the South Tower, and it will definitely be this cycle.

As for luxury hotel flag to be had here - I'm gonna float this out there as a possibility: Mandarin Oriental (this is a total guess fyi). It may seem in some respects a little off the beaten path in terms of location for upper-upscale hotels, however it is an absolute showpiece of a location, and I think given that, and the fact that this is such a strong developer with a very extensive track record of delivering that we're all familiar with (remember they got burned before with a W(ho)TF-type developer last cycle at Illinois Center.........as I said, just a guess, but if I do say so myself, an intriguing one.....

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 9:29 PM
The City

^ Wow, if the south tower gets built this cycle, as well as the Wanda tower, and they are both tall and bold.....then that's it. Chicago is back and everyone will need to go fuck off.

...and Jarta will be very, very depressed

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 9:38 PM

[edit: wrong thread]

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
There's no timeframe for the next tower yet. The project would still need to go back before the city. This crane will come down when tower 1 is completed.
I do think the south tower will be the next one to rise. Logistically It makes the most sense to build from the west side of the site to the east side. but I can't imagine a scenario where they would leave this crane up for the next tower. You wouldn't be able to lower the crane and the higher a crane is the more difficult it is to actually move stuff horizontally. It would delay the completion of the west tower and would be absolutely awful for staging materials and equipment which will most likely be staged east of the south tower.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 2:45 PM
BANNED

If you missed it, here's a beauty from Curbed, courtesy of a gent named Bill Guerriero

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 6:56 PM

I wonder if they will use the same glass on the other towers as the west tower

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 7:39 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
I wonder if they will use the same glass on the other towers as the west tower
Doubtful, I would assume - different architects between this building and the south & east towers, so potentially different curtainwall system/detailing/glass, etc., (even the renderings are shown with different facade designs). The only commonality between these towers on this site is the fact that it's the same developer..

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 3:06 PM
dream fast

2/20

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 6:17 PM
BANNED

good god this is going up fast! well done...i'm glad to hear that the three towers have different architects...an overly harmonized project would feel a little flat me thinks.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 6:52 PM
you know where I'll be

So, some comments here:

We actually have no idea who the architects for south and east will be. Pelli drew some placeholders - that's all. As far as I know, they have not received contracts for the actual designs.

The master developer of Wolf Point is Hines. For the West tower, my understanding is it is more Magellan running the show. For the south and east tower, we don't know if Hines will develop itself, or if it will bring in other developers (as in the W tower) to JV with, or to take over.

My guess: For what I think will be a large luxury hotel/residential tower on the S parcel, Hines will probably bring in another developer to JV in some aspect with (no idea who design architect for it will be). For what I think will be an all-office east tower, Hines will go it alone (Pickard Chilton again on that one?? Or could of course be Pelli?? anyone else?)

George - fantastic angle on that one! This is going to really be a great riverfront addition.

Back to the architects, to BCP's point, that might actually be my preference as well - that we have a different designer for each tower......

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 7:05 PM
dream fast

2/20

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 8:56 PM

Balcony details look quite nice:

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 4:40 PM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 3:35 PM
dream fast

3/1

Last edited by george; Mar 2, 2015 at 8:01 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive