HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > China

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 1:58 AM

In my view...

Shanghai = NYC
Shenzhen = LA
Chongqing = Chicago
Beijing = ? (maybe Philadelphia?)

Whoever had that analogy was spot on. Chicago prospered as a central transportation hub for the cattle industry, and while Chongqing might not be handling a lot of cattle, it's central location and favoritism by the government should give it an edge. I'm anxious to go visit it soon!

It will interesting to see what competition with Chengdu will do to Chongqing. Chongqing is favored more by the central gov't, but I know, for example, that the US consulate is in Chengdu and not Chongqing.

However, my top 5 for the near and distant future would be:

1. Shanghai
2. Beijing
3. Shenzhen
4. Chongqing
5. *drum roll* Zhengzhou OR Fuzhou

Zhengzhou, while not much to look at today, is capital of the most populous province and China and shouldn't be overlooked. Furthermore, I read in The Economist this week that China has every intention of building a highway linking Fuzhou with Taipei by 2030. Now I know this sounds ridiculous (and it probably is), but if by some freak accident it does occur, Fuzhou will become huge. A 100km bridge or tunnel will be a hell of an engineering project though, so I'm sure any developers in the region will have ample time to plan.

If the gov't chooses to merge Hong Kong with Shenzhen (as they have mentioned in the past), it will definitely give Shanghai a run for its money. I think this would be a really good idea actually, as it would make them both very competitive.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 3:36 AM

You can't build a bridge to Taipei if Taiwan doesn't go along.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 6:24 PM
人人重庆

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
1. Shanghai
2. Beijing
3. Guangzhou
4. Chongqing
5. Shenzhen

The Yangtse River Delta and the Pearl River Delta will be China's two major business centers for the foreseeable future. Plus Nanjing, Xi'an and Chengdu will probably be good for some surprises. Chongqing is too far inland to be ever the No.1. It doesn't even have an Intl' Airport.
What? Let's me tell you ,The Chongqing JiangBei international airport in recent years the passenger as well as the freight transportation volume of goods handled was increasing unceasingly, now already entered Chinese Airport first ten.Chongqing for the past ten years develops rapidly, simultaneously and the domestic international numerous city has the very good cooperation, I thought mainland China five year later the urban place should be:
1.Shanghai

2.Guangzhou

3.Beijing

4.Chongqing

5.Shengzhen

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 12:28 PM

That's imposebal, Shang hai has HUGE HUGE HUGE numbers of skyscrapers, rank the first on the world, Chong qin is also VERY good ,just like New York,

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 12:38 PM

Your view is totoly wrong! my friend!! if you are only talking about the skyscrapers or tall budlings, ---Shanghai=USA---, I'm not joking, this is ture, i suggest you to go to China to have look, you will be shorked!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Shorking!

Flickr®

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 2:51 PM

No way. Shanghai is basically a sea of high-rises.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 8:03 AM
Back from the dead

All of China is a sea of shorking highrises.
I'm not sure what city exists in this country that isn't wall to wall highrises (or , at the very least , midrises) Even the country side is being turned into highrise heaven (build a tower instead of a village)

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 4:21 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Currently:

1) Shanghai
2) Beijing
3) Hong Kong
4) Guangzhou
5) Shenzhen
6) Chongqing

In 5 years:

1) Shanghai
2) Beijing
3) Hong Kong
4) Chongqing
5) Guangzhou

in 10 years:

1) Shanghai
2) Chongqing
3) Hong Kong
4) Beijing
5) Tianjin

in 20+ years? who knows if Chongqing will beat Shanghai. But I think it is very safe to say that Chongqing will always be a top 5 Chinese city, starting a few years from now once current development/construction matures and new ones come online. I think today it is just below the top 5 mark.

I can totally see Chongqing and Shanghai battling it out for the #1 and #2 spot - totally ala New York and Chicago. This mostly because China has many coastal cities that 'steal' away Shanghai's undisputed International Finance/trade thunder a bit.

Can you imagine if Shanghai didn't have Shenzhen or Hong Kong or Guangzhou or a host of other big coastal port cities to compete with (similar to New York's dominance in America)? Having these other players tempers Shanghai a bit, allowing Chongqing to catch up significantly with it's more domestic agenda.

I totally see Shanghai running the International agenda for China, with Chongqing being the undisputed Domestic agenda leader - again, ala New York and Chicago, or Tokyo vs. Osaka. Definitely love seeing the city grow and mature into a tastefully done MONSTER. ......

Chongqing does have an international airport, btw. It may not be too big now, but there are plans for it. I think it will really take off bigtime once transit options to Jiangbei International Airport improve (like the new subway).

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 5:36 PM

The only one that stands out architecturally is Shanghai. Most other Chinese cities all look alike for the most part.

If there were no labels for each picture, most people can't tell which cities they are except for Shanghai.

Of course, the people that are familiar with or live in them will know but I'm talking about outsiders that don't follow skyscraper development.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 7:20 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I think Chonqing's location in that river gorge is pretty iconic and incredible though.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 3:06 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
Currently:

1) Shanghai
2) Beijing
3) Hong Kong
4) Guangzhou
5) Shenzhen
6) Chongqing
HK is smaller than all of these cities at 7 million people. I can't see HK ever having a larger population than BJ, GZ, SZ or CQ. It doesn't have enough land to expand which will make it an even more costly place to build/live, plus the other cities have been experiencing explosive growth for years now.

CQ is a beast. Its definitely larger than BJ by population. Hell, to me it even felt larger than SH. The reason we keep hearing BJ as China's second largest city is because BJ doesn't like to come in second, much less third. At some point in the future, BJ will have to concede and let CQ take the second spot.

Currently, the list would be:

1)SH
2)CQ (excluding the 10 million in the countryside and bordering counties, CQ still sits at close to 20 million people)
3)BJ
4)GZ
5)SZ
6) Either Tianjin or Chengdu (a massive city of 12 million people about 2 hours from Chongqing. It's the capital of Sichuan province and growing like crazy. I could see Chengdu firmly in the top five within the next decade.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 7:08 AM
Transport Planner

Wait, doesn't HK acutally stretch BEYOND the valley?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 11:09 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

The funny this is looking at Chongqing in Google Earth the main city's footprint doesn't seem to be that large in terms of area. Clearly its super-dense, but besides that, you'd still expect to see a much larger metropolitan expanse.

Where are the boundaries drawn, I suppose its surrounding area must be equally dense with many people living in one house on those plots of rural land?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 2:52 AM

Chongqing really developed so fast. It was called little Hongkong in China. And famous for too many beauties.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 2:53 AM

Glad to know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
HK is smaller than all of these cities at 7 million people. I can't see HK ever having a larger population than BJ, GZ, SZ or CQ. It doesn't have enough land to expand which will make it an even more costly place to build/live, plus the other cities have been experiencing explosive growth for years now.

CQ is a beast. Its definitely larger than BJ by population. Hell, to me it even felt larger than SH. The reason we keep hearing BJ as China's second largest city is because BJ doesn't like to come in second, much less third. At some point in the future, BJ will have to concede and let CQ take the second spot.

Currently, the list would be:

1)SH
2)CQ (excluding the 10 million in the countryside and bordering counties, CQ still sits at close to 20 million people)
3)BJ
4)GZ
5)SZ
6) Either Tianjin or Chengdu (a massive city of 12 million people about 2 hours from Chongqing. It's the capital of Sichuan province and growing like crazy. I could see Chengdu firmly in the top five within the next decade.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > China