HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 12:40 PM

From the story.."Coun. Ian Froude explained how the list of streets to receive roadwork is generated. He said city staff assess the quality of streets, and also consider what kind of street it is — for example, whether it’s residential or an arterial — and then rate streets."

I would like to see the rating results....Derby Place....Goodyear Place. Maybe we should have a public "nomination" process because I can assure you there are streets in this city that could use some "rehabilitation" more than some on the list.

And another thing, it will be interesting to see who wins the bid packages and by how much.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 1:35 PM

City workers were taking samples from the cul-de-sac I live on last summer to see if it warranted rehab. There are some rough patches, but I don't think it's worth a complete rehab just for a small street with about 20 houses. I'd be happy enough if they just properly patched the massive pothole that's on the bottom of the street.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 2:00 PM

It's interesting how the majority of potholes form in late winter/early spring. The real culprit seems to be water buildup when the ground hasn't completely thawed.

I wonder if the solution is just to require more storm drains when building roads around here...

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 6:11 PM

Rawlins Cross Roundabout

Council has agreed to re-establish the original version of Rawlins Cross after much lobbying from folks in the area.

https://vocm.com/2020/05/13/rawlins-cross/

I'm all for roundabouts, but having gone thru' here on a motorcycle and almost getting plowed twice, I don't think it was working.

Be very careful over the next few months because some of the yield signs that were put in place for the roundabout are now reversed.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 4:32 PM

This may not have been the best place for a "traffic circle" (it was never a true roundabout) but is was worth a try. Personally I thought it worked fairly well but then again I was in a car and not on foot.
If the city is looking for places to put roundabouts I can think of plenty of other places they could work.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 5:08 PM

I think it could have worked with revisions. As the circle was implemented throughout the pilot project was not working, but I think there was opportunity to address some of the issues to improve both pedestrian safety and traffic flow. Instead I guess we're just reverting back to the status quo instead of trying for improvements.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 1:56 PM

First Rawlins Crash

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 12:52 PM

Looks like Team Gushue Highway extension is on hold:
ho://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/nl-team-gushue-highway-completion-costs-1.5577323

Quote:
The Department of Transportation and Works is estimating that it will cost $40 million to $50 million to finish the Team Gushue Highway extension in metro St. John's, with a more direct route and modern interchanges to connect to other roadways.

But it doesn't appear the work is going to happen any time soon.

The province is strapped for cash, and all federal money committed to the project has already been spent.

"We're really going to have to review where we are coming into this year's budget and subsequent budgets," Transportation Minister Steve Crocker told CBC News.

"So right now, I would not hazard to guess if this is something that the province would be able to afford to do in the immediate future."
Unsurprising but also not great when you are putting infrastructure projects on hold during an economic downturn.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
ho://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/nl-team-gushue-highway-completion-costs-1.5577323

Unsurprising but also not great when you are putting infrastructure projects on hold during an economic downturn.
Could see that one coming from afar. I doubt it would have proceeded even without pandemic with the state of the NL Gov coffers.
Gives them a convenient excuse now.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 1:03 PM

Terminal Expansion Paused

... right on the heels of the TGH announcement comes the airport

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...dget-1.5576571

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Could see that one coming from afar. I doubt it would have proceeded even without pandemic with the state of the NL Gov coffers.
Gives them a convenient excuse now.
Thing is if we are are entering an economic recession/depression you'd want to be doing infrastructure projects as stimulus. Hopefully the federal government has some sort of infrastructure program.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:10 PM

Quote:

On the bright side, it looks like they are now evaluating more of a 'direct connection' approach in terms of tying into Pitts/Gould's bypass. I have to say, this is a much better idea for traffic flow..even if it takes another ten years to complete.

Quote:
The old plan involved using Brookfield Road, making part of it a cul de sac, and connecting to other highways using a series of ramps and either lights or roundabouts.

"What we'd like to be able to do going forward is have more of a freeway, or a direct connection right into Route 2, Route 3," Crocker said.

The would include replacing an existing aging overpass in the area to have a "more modern interchange."

Crocker said the department has commissioned a study on traffic patterns to help in the decision-making process, but he has not yet received the final report.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Thing is if we are are entering an economic recession/depression you'd want to be doing infrastructure projects as stimulus. Hopefully the federal government has some sort of infrastructure program.
I'm guessing under normal circumstances this would be the case. Since our province is on the brink of absolute financial destruction the government is going to have to haul in spending, and the TGH extension is obviously a spot they could save some of their money for now. Unless the federal government fronts 100% of the cost to complete the final section of the highway I can't see any possibly way which the provincial government can afford it right now.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engibeer View Post
On the bright side, it looks like they are now evaluating more of a 'direct connection' approach in terms of tying into Pitts/Gould's bypass. I have to say, this is a much better idea for traffic flow..even if it takes another ten years to complete.
Financing aside one would think this section wouldn't take as long to build as the previous section.

The previous section required a shit tonne of blasting and what like (5?) overpasses. This section is pretty much a highway across farmland and from what it looks like only two(maybe just the one now?)overpass/interchanges.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:33 PM

This CBC article doesn't have any new material, it's a rehash of one from last year ( July 19, 2019 ) Crocker said then that they were re-evaluating the route. $ 50 Mill seems high considering the roadbed is already done to Brookfield Rd and it looks like they mostly want to replace the overpass at Commonwealth into something more elaborate - more time and money and tag it as a TGH project to get Fed money.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 5:31 PM

Deleted

Last edited by Sullco; May 25, 2020 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 2:29 PM

Hebron Way Extension:

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 5:03 PM

Imo they should explore making this the primary access for Hussey Dr and cut off the access at Stavanger and Topsail. Then convert that intersection in to a 3 way roundabout.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 4:47 PM

Delays Next Week for ORR

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:27 PM

What could a fixed-link highway to Fogo Island look like?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's