HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 6:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^I have heard that as well. I skied Whiteface many times, but it seemed to be overcast almost every time so I could not verify this. Apparently it is visible from Stowe/Smuggler's Notch, but again, I could not discern on the horizon. Jay Peak, very much so.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 6:52 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^I have heard that as well. I skied Whiteface many times, but it seemed to be overcast almost every time so I could not verify this. Apparently it is visible from Stowe/Smuggler's Notch, but again, I could not discern on the horizon. Jay Peak, very much so.
You wouldn't be able to see it from the runs at Iceface since the slopes are on the south side of the hill. I've been to the top and you can see far though I'd be amazed to see Montreal - would have to be a clear day for sure!

And no way from Stowe/Smugglers as both are below the peak of Mansfield and the runs at Stowe face the wrong direction. I've been to the top of that one too and I would be amazed to see Montreal. Biggest issue is curvature. It's hard see Calgary from front range peaks 100kms away that have twice the elevation difference as Mansfield or Whiteface.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 7:02 PM

I've heard stories that some people claim to be able to see the Cleveland skyline from across Lake Erie on very clear, dry days. I guess it could be possible since Toronto's skyline can be seen across Lake Ontario. I'm not sure what the distance is across Lake Erie from Cleveland though.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 7:29 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I thought I could see something in the US from Port Dover, but I later realised it was probably long point.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 8:22 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
You wouldn't be able to see it from the runs at Iceface since the slopes are on the south side of the hill. I've been to the top and you can see far though I'd be amazed to see Montreal - would have to be a clear day for sure!

And no way from Stowe/Smugglers as both are below the peak of Mansfield and the runs at Stowe face the wrong direction. I've been to the top of that one too and I would be amazed to see Montreal. Biggest issue is curvature. It's hard see Calgary from front range peaks 100kms away that have greater twice the elevation difference as Mansfield or Whiteface.
Edit: While Skogan Peak->Calgary is twice the vertical gain of Mansfield, it's only 50% greater than Whiteface->Montreal

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 9:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Iceface...now there is a true descriptor.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 8:31 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
I've seen Edmonton from Leduc, about 26 km. Driving to Winnipeg I first saw the skyline about 45-50km away due to it being so flat and uninhabited around the city. Ditto for Regina which I first saw about 20-25 km away.
Same here for Edmonton. Also managed to see its skyline from the airport's North Terminal. I'm also quite sure you'd be able to see it from the new hotel by the airport.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 10:06 PM

This is about 30km east of Edmonton

http://goo.gl/maps/gbYhK

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 2:06 AM
Awesome!

While, Montreal can be seen from so far from the south, because of Mount Royal, it is pretty difficult to spot the skyline from the north and west (Laurentians/Lanaudiere northern Monteregie) region, though it parts of the skyline) can be seen from north of the A-15/A-640 junction in Boisbriand which is about 30-35 km from downtown.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 2:23 AM

Quebec city by me :

We're on route 138, just east of Ste-Anne de Beaupré (A little over 200m above sea level) and ±44km away from downtown :
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Qu%...c52d63f0e83a03

Double skyline ! ^^ love it
Note that the city second tallest ( Jules-Dallaire #2 ) was still Under-construction on that photo. You can notice the crane on the top of it.
You also see Lévis tallest pupping up in the middle of Ile d'Orléans on the first shoot !

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:36 AM

Quote:

And no way from Stowe/Smugglers as both are below the peak of Mansfield and the runs at Stowe face the wrong direction. I've been to the top of that one too and I would be amazed to see Montreal. Biggest issue is curvature. It's hard see Calgary from front range peaks 100kms away that have twice the elevation difference as Mansfield or Whiteface.
Do you mean you would be surprised if Mtl were visible from there?

I posted this pic earlier in the thread (long time back). It's 122km away from Montreal direct distance. Somewhere on Mount Mansfield.

So yes, it's possible

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 5:14 AM

A couple photos of Calgary from the Nihahi Ridge, about 65km as the crow flies.

Photos by me. Click for full size (4912x3264)

Zoom if you don't feel like clicking on the above:

Last edited by Trans Canada; Oct 7, 2014 at 7:42 AM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:23 AM

Out of curiosity, is it possible to ever see Toronto skyline from Buffalo if the air is clear enough?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:44 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftimage View Post
Do you mean you would be surprised if Mtl were visible from there?

I posted this pic earlier in the thread (long time back). It's 122km away from Montreal direct distance. Somewhere on Mount Mansfield.

So yes, it's possible
Unless the photo image is reversed, you are looking at Montreal from the SW. I believe that this picture was taken from the top of Whiteface. Mt Mansfield is SSE of Montreal, so Mont Royal would be behind DT if visible.

I'm not saying you cannot see Mtrl from Mansfield as it's been at least 15 years since I've been to it's summit, but my memory of it is that it does not tower above the surrounding area like Whiteface. Though I am happy to be proven wrong.

I still stand by statement that you can't see Mtrl from the slopes a Iceface, since they face the wrong way. That I am sure of.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Out of curiosity, is it possible to ever see Toronto skyline from Buffalo if the air is clear enough?
I don't think it would be possible from the ground and with the naked eye. Jodelli posted this shot from Buffalo in a thread a while back and claims the arrow points to the CN Tower

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:07 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

That isn't possible either. From a tall building in downtown Buffalo (the only place possible to see as far as Toronto) the towers of Niagara Falls do not line up with downtown Toronto. If that pic is from downtown Buffalo, then Toronto would be off the pic to the right by quite a bit.

[IMG][/IMG]

The black line is from downtown Buffalo to downtown Toronto. The yellow line is from downtown Toronto and passes through Niagara Falls. From downtown Buffalo looking at Niagara Falls, if you could see anything in the background, it would be Mississauga or Oakville.

Last edited by koops65; Oct 9, 2014 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 6:22 PM

Moncton is in a valley, so it's difficult to see it from very far. Farthest might be Hayward's Pinnacle in Albert County (325m elevation), 38km away.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 3:45 AM

Regina: Approx 45 km west (on Hwy 1); 33 km NE (Hwy 10); 43 km NW (Hwy 11); 50 km SE (Hwy 33); 25 km south (Hwy 6.).

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 3:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Moncton is in a valley, so it's difficult to see it from very far. Farthest might be Hayward's Pinnacle in Albert County (325m elevation), 38km away.
I have seen Moncton in the distance driving up the Caledonia Mountain Road in Albert County. I just measured it on Google Earth and the distance is 26 km as the crow flies.

I remember being gobsmacked at how close the city seemed to be despite the distance. You could easily make out the Bell Aliant Tower and Assumption Place as well as several of the other taller buildings in the city. I couldn't believe it.......

Further distances might be possible if you know where to look. You can certainly see the wind farm in the Caledonia Highlands from the Homestead Road near Berry Mills (just on the northwestern outskirts of Moncton) easily enough, and that's a distance of 34-35 km.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Unless the photo image is reversed, you are looking at Montreal from the SW. I believe that this picture was taken from the top of Whiteface. Mt Mansfield is SSE of Montreal, so Mont Royal would be behind DT if visible.
Since Mont Royal is generally west of the city center, it appears to me that this pic was taken from Vermont.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada