HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerF View Post
http://www.leaderpost.com/life/Counc...451/story.html

The province wants the City of Regina to pay 23.3 million or 35.4% of the cost of the 9th Ave North and Hill Ave interchanges on the West bypass. They also want the RM of Sherwood to pay for 14.8% of the cost.
The RM has less that 1000 people. That is pretty ridiculous, even though they do have a huge tax base - $348,525,013 assessed value which is a lot for an RM. Still there is not way they can afford this.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:13 PM

I wonder if they will award early considering how nice the weather is getting. Start moving dirt and other things. Instead of waiting for June?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:20 PM

They'll negotiate. What businesses are within Sherwood. Potash mines? seems to be a pretty rich RM with only 1000 people. Are the street paved with gold?! haha

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They'll negotiate. What businesses are within Sherwood. Potash mines? seems to be a pretty rich RM with only 1000 people. Are the street paved with gold?! haha
According to the RM Map there isn't a lot of 'major' industry in it. Other than the City of Regina, it is pretty much agriculture.

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...Ministry+2.pdf

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
According to the RM Map there isn't a lot of 'major' industry in it. Other than the City of Regina, it is pretty much agriculture.

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...Ministry+2.pdf

They have a large property assessment base. I believe it is $335 million which is a lot for a RM. Think Evraz Steel, Degelman Industries and the whole North Regina Industrial Park. As well you have Brandt Equipment, Regina Motor Products, Inland Cement, Kramer Tractor and many others. There are a lot of pipelines as well.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
They have a large property assessment base. I believe it is $335 million which is a lot for a RM. Think Evraz Steel, Degelman Industries and the whole North Regina Industrial Park. As well you have Brandt Equipment, Regina Motor Products, Inland Cement, Kramer Tractor and many others. There are a lot of pipelines as well.
I thought a lot of those were part of the City of Regina? Or within its limits.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:10 PM

Quote:
I thought a lot of those were part of the City of Regina? Or within its limits.
Nope. The RM does only have a annual budget of about $4million, so the request is pretty ridiculous and a bargaining position IMO. the RM has a massive accumulated surplus because they regularly take in far more than they spend. The Government may be trying to get their hands on that like they did with the U of S.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Nope. The RM does only have a annual budget of about $4million, so the request is pretty ridiculous and a bargaining position IMO. the RM has a massive accumulated surplus because they regularly take in far more than they spend. The Government may be trying to get their hands on that like they did with the U of S.
Humm the more I know. I would be curious to find out what is on the books for a surplus. And I could see that happening.

I would say that as a matter of course that if in the end it builds a safer bypass with limited (or IMO NO) at grade crossings. It would be best for all involved no? Safe movement of equipment both on the national highway system and through the RM?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Humm the more I know. I would be curious to find out what is on the books for a surplus. And I could see that happening.

I would say that as a matter of course that if in the end it builds a safer bypass with limited (or IMO NO) at grade crossings. It would be best for all involved no? Safe movement of equipment both on the national highway system and through the RM?
They had $15 million in 2012. I would guess it is well over $20 million now.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:33 PM

Spending $14M on an interchange is a bit much it would seem. Even if it was financed over a few years. Similar situation happening in Winnipeg where the RM of East St. Paul needs to pony up a few million of a pass through of the north Perimeter. They do have some large estates and the like. but not sure what they're tax base or budgets are. Really only Imperial oil tank farm is out there for major businesses. Anyways.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Spending $14M on an interchange is a bit much it would seem. Even if it was financed over a few years. Similar situation happening in Winnipeg where the RM of East St. Paul needs to pony up a few million of a pass through of the north Perimeter. They do have some large estates and the like. but not sure what they're tax base or budgets are. Really only Imperial oil tank farm is out there for major businesses. Anyways.
$14M for an interchange considering an interchange like the one at Lewvan and Highway #1 was $35M.

I heard that a typical flyover is around $10M add some ramps and that is roughly $15M. That would be a 2-lane flyover with single lane ramps with stop signs at the ends. (Typical to a rural diamond interchange in the US)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:41 PM

Quote:
$14M for an interchange considering an interchange like the one at Lewvan and Highway #1 was $35M.

I heard that a typical flyover is around $10M add some ramps and that is roughly $15M. That would be a 2-lane flyover with single lane ramps with stop signs at the ends. (Typical to a rural diamond interchange in the US)
He is talking about the RM's share being high for a small RM. It is 2 interchanges (hill and 9th Ave N) and the RM is being asked to pay 15%.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:52 PM

Right so by that math. The total for the two interchanges is $65.8M

That would mean the share of the RM of 14.8% of the cost equals $9.7M or $4.85M Per interchange. That seems somewhat reasonable to me.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 5:02 PM

It would be interesting to learn how they arrived at the 15% figure. If that is the share of costs for exit/approach ramps relative to the total overpass they may be reasonable in expecting the RM to pay that much to have access onto a controlled access provincial road.

I don't think the RM of sherwood is a lavish spender (outside council members legal costs). You can easily tell where jurisdiction changes at the north industrial park. Paved City highway tranistions into pot-holed gravel road in the RM. The road does take a pounding from all the trucks out there no doubt but still I wouldn't drive a car out there. And the dust!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
It would be interesting to learn how they arrived at the 15% figure. If that is the share of costs for exit/approach ramps relative to the total overpass they may be reasonable in expecting the RM to pay that much to have access onto a controlled access provincial road.

I don't think the RM of sherwood is a lavish spender (outside council members legal costs). You can easily tell where jurisdiction changes at the north industrial park. Paved City highway tranistions into pot-holed gravel road in the RM. The road does take a pounding from all the trucks out there no doubt but still I wouldn't drive a car out there. And the dust!
I fully expect the Interchange at 9th to be one similar to the one at Lewvan and Pasqua with the loop for WB to SB. However, I am not too sure as to the look of the hill ave one. I want to think it will have a loop for NB Pinky from NB Bypass. But it might just be a simple interchange.

This is what I hope the Hill Ave interchange looks like:

Last edited by North_Regina_Boy; Apr 1, 2015 at 3:23 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 4:19 PM

So this project is now fully closed as of May 20th. Waiting for release of the tender results.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
So this project is now fully closed as of May 20th. Waiting for release of the tender results.
Can't wait to see the documents! Also heard that the farm north of the city for the Highway 11 / WB interchange will be torn down in Late August.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
Anyone have a link to where the general specifics of the project are listed?

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_hoser View Post
Anyone have a link to where the general specifics of the project are listed?
Here you go:

http://www.saskbuilds.ca/projects/Re...20Project.html

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 8:58 PM

EDIT - oops, wrong thread

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan