HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 10:48 PM
Regina SK

I like the idea of posting comparing photos rather than just saskatoons downtown, as an example. Here are positives and negatives that I have found from living in both. They could be outdated because of that. I actually love the amount of buskers in Saskatoon. I never quite saw them to this extent in Regina. At the same time, some are downright annoying bd in your face, and you can hear their singing from inside buildings. But, I do think they add an interesting aspect to the streetscape. Regina, have to love the pedestrian mall that is scarth street. I personally hate all the shops but love the idea of walking down the middle to admire the architecture, whereas if it was a real street you may become flattened. Both cities have a downtown park, but from some offices in saskatoon with their distance to the river, is equal to reginas distance to wascana. So in a sense Regina has a 1 up on the park side. I prefer reginas downtown architecture and density as well. Both cities need to make drastic changes to parking, and eliminating surface lots. That's for certain. What else...I like reginas downtown library better as well, especially when the new one comes along. Saskatoon owns Regina as far as non business foot traffic in the day, buy Regina has a better bike system downtown, that's if you are counting transition as part of it. Downtown Regina could use more nightlife, like a theatre or more bars/pubs. Saskatoon has that one, butbi could see that all changing as soon as something happens with that enormous amount of land next to downtown gets used up. Ok, too much typing from an iPod...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 10:55 PM
Regina SK

Ps. That baseball diamond photo of Winnipeg on the first page makes me wishe both Regina and Saskatoon had an outdoor(ish) stadium of some kind downtown.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 4:45 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Ruckus, I've been meaning to make my way out to Valley Road and take a picture from the same angle, only with a telephoto lens. I'm waiting for it to warm up.

Another angle that is interesting is north west of the downtown, around Harry Bailey pool. I would also like to get a wide-angle shot of the university and downtown together - around the 14th street overpass on Circle Drive east is an interesting shot. You would only get the tops of the buildings downtown because downtown is much lower than the east side, but it still gives an impressive shot of the amount of development that has occurred in the past few years.
That image you quoted was taken from the landfill's summit. They have tightened things up around there so you may have to be sneaky to get that same shot.

Back in 2006, swilley snapped some nice panos from north of downtown. Thanks swilley!

Source

Stumbled upon some old shots from the College and Circle overpass...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
A few photos from today...

Last edited by Ruckus; Mar 3, 2011 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 5:25 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

nice view they should turn it into a park like winnipeg did with its garbage hill

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 5:41 PM

Awesome pics Jimmy James & Ruckus....

Some beautiful pics here. What about some more up-close and personal shots of downtown streets rather than just skylines?

Also, Jimmy James & Devon, some interesting facts about Regina and Saskatoon I had no idea about.

Keep em coming!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 6:24 PM
working stiff

^ Check out the 1st page of this thread for links to the following:

Saskatoon Photo Tours

SASKATOON, Saskatchewan ||| Springtime 2010 ||| (Credit:mike474)
Saskatoon - University of Saskatchewan campus and Varsity View neighbourhood (Credit: drm310)
Saskatoon - Nutana (Credit: drm310)
A Walk Around ... Downtown Industrial. (Credit: lbird)
A Walk Around ... City Park (Credit: lbird)
A Walk Around ... City Park 2. (Credit: lbird)
A Walk Around ... City Park 3 (Credit: lbird)
A Walk Around ... City Park 4 (Credit: lbird)
A Walk Around ... North Park (Credit: lbird)
A Walk Around ... North Park 2 (Credit: lbird)
A Walk Around ... Kelsey Woodlawn and Kelsey Industrial (Credit: lbird)
A Bike Around ... 20th St. W. (Credit: lbird)
A Walk Around ... Riversdale & King George Pt. 2 (Credit: lbird)
A Walk Around ... Caswell Hill (Credit: lbird)
A Walk Around ... Caswell Hill 2 (Credit: lbird)
Beautiful Downtown Saskatoon, SK (Credit: Country)
Saskatoon in: No Hoar like a Christmas Hoar (Credit: circle33)

They all captures different shades of Saskatoon. Good stuff!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 11:16 PM

Regina is better RE:

city centre (height, offices, density)
general architecture
urban park (Wascana Centre is truly the envy of any city >1 million)
traffic flow/ city planning (Ring road is an actual freeway, 20 minutes and you're anywhere in Regina)

Saskatoon is better RE:
university
shopping
natural beauty with the river
airport

Cities are about equal RE:
older neighbourhoods
urban sprawl, both are disasters

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Regina is better RE:

traffic flow/ city planning (Ring road is an actual freeway, 20 minutes and you're anywhere in Regina)
Same with Circle Drive.

Also, once the new Preston overpass and South Bridge is finished, there won't be much of a competition. (More uninterrupted freeway, and a complete ring road.)

I can't attest to the rest of the cities traffic flow/planning.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 12:26 AM

Bull. If Saskatoon can count that north stretch of Circle as part of the ring, then Regina can count Lewvan in its ring.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 2:26 AM
Regina SK

I find Circle to be a nicer drive with the exception of the northern most part. I honestly think the retaining wall helps. It adds some conformity to it all, and the fact that it is new helps as well. While driving on the Ring road you see a wide variety of fences, a lot that aren't in the best of shape. I also like how both Circle and Idywyld have a bit of change as far as elevation and winding goes. Keeps things interesting. Most ofthis is all from a visual perspective of course. I would love to see some investment in planting more trees along these freeways in both Regina and Saskatoon.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 2:30 AM

Ha fine. More uninterrupted freeway then... Not that it is a competition...

Even though the North stretch of Circle (with all the lights) is only like 1.5 km. Although that 1.5 km is a bitch at rush hour. But it's pretty minor in the scheme of things.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 5:22 AM

Yeah hands down ring road is better. But one thing that really ticks me off about our expressway is those train tracks they really back up traffic when they come across also the exits for for the mac Donald's st really backs up on rush hours that really slows down or stops traffic and has cause lots of accidents .

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
Same with Circle Drive.

Also, once the new Preston overpass and South Bridge is finished, there won't be much of a competition. (More uninterrupted freeway, and a complete ring road.)

I can't attest to the rest of the cities traffic flow/planning.
I don't consider any roadway with a speed limit under 100k/hr to be a true freeway which is the case with Saskatoon. Circle drive anytime between 7am and 7pm takes forever. And that will never be fixed.

I like that the two cities are quite complimentary. One's strenghts are the other's weaknesses.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 10:57 PM
Urban Dreamer

Quote:
I don't consider any roadway with a speed limit under 100k/hr to be a true freeway which is the case with Saskatoon. Circle drive anytime between 7am and 7pm takes forever. And that will never be fixed.

I like that the two cities are quite complimentary. One's strenghts are the other's weaknesses.
The solution is easy, get all the lazy, ignorant people out of their SUV's and into public transit. Problem solved.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:

Well then by definition, Ring Road isn't a "true freeway" because it has train tracks running across it. Which is pretty unheard of if you ask me.

Also, I'm not sure how one can drive from Millar Avenue to Stonebridge (pretty much clear across the city) in 10 or 15 minutes, and that's "forever".
Like previously stated, the only issue is that North stretch (which you're right, will never be 'fixed'). The rest takes 15 minutes to get anywhere, and will be improved tenfold with the South bridge and Preston overpass.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
Well then by definition, Ring Road isn't a "true freeway" because it has train tracks running across it. Which is pretty unheard of if you ask me.

Also, I'm not sure how one can drive from Millar Avenue to Stonebridge (pretty much clear across the city) in 10 or 15 minutes, and that's "forever".
Like previously stated, the only issue is that North stretch (which you're right, will never be 'fixed'). The rest takes 15 minutes to get anywhere, and will be improved tenfold with the South bridge and Preston overpass.
Saskatoon has made serious improvements to its roadway system. I suppose the biggest difference is that Regina built the Ring Road in the 70's when Sask govts were nearly burning money, they acted like they had so much of it.

Those tracks you speak of, while annoying, are only a small branch line and there aren't many trains that cross the Ring Road (although they do seem to do so just when you're in a rush.)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 4:01 PM

The problem is, an underpass/overpass at that crossing is likely out of the question because there are multiple tracks, and the Winnipeg Street interchange is right there. The only way around it that I can see is to reroute that rail line completely.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 7:30 PM
Regina SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
The problem is, an underpass/overpass at that crossing is likely out of the question because there are multiple tracks, and the Winnipeg Street interchange is right there. The only way around it that I can see is to reroute that rail line completely.
or under it!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 8:18 PM

Is there any reason why Regina doesnt have the sound retention walls like Saskatoon?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Regina View Post
Is there any reason why Regina doesnt have the sound retention walls like Saskatoon?
Those walls are the ugliest things ever. I hate them. But then, I might feel differently if I was personally affected by the noise.

Anyway, much of the Ring Road was designed with berms that are supposed to cut the sound somewhat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan