HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Heritage Landing in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Winnipeg Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 9:02 PM

Looking better. I guess the only "shitty" part is the 3 windows on the blank wall. Kind of a monolithic, soviet "windows on wall (in harsh russian accent)" look. It's a rental, so it's good in that sense. The rest looks cool with the glass and different angles.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 9:06 PM
What could go wrong?

Nice pics,

.....7 more floors to go.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 9:07 PM

^ Is very nice apartment! Красивое здание!

Kidding aside, it is neither here nor there in my view... obviously not a looker but not hideous to really be a blight on the skyline either. It'll be another skyline filler building that will look 20 years old the day that construction is finished. However, that's not a big problem in my view... the benefit of bringing many more residents to the area outweighs any aesthetic harshness that Heritage Landing might cause.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 9:10 PM

that last point makes me wonder what will be the saturation point of the neighbourhood with residential to finally give it some pedestrian hustle and bustle? marion and traverse has more going on at street level than that area.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Is very nice apartment! Красивое здание!

Kidding aside, it is neither here nor there in my view... obviously not a looker but not hideous to really be a blight on the skyline either. It'll be another skyline filler building that will look 20 years old the day that construction is finished. However, that's not a big problem in my view... the benefit of bringing many more residents to the area outweighs any aesthetic harshness that Heritage Landing might cause.
Спасибо товарищ Мы согласны....

This is the key, even though I've been somewhat critical the last day or 2 of it's overall appearance.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 10:30 PM

I agree with all the above. More people in the area is only a plus.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 6:42 AM

300 Assiniboine from lyndale drive today

shift over a few hundred feet..

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 2:19 PM
BANNED

They have been working on the floors of the 23rd floor the last couple days. Almost there...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 7:19 PM
BANNED

The first couple walls of the 23rd floor went up late last week. Rest of the 23rd most likely coming over the next couple days.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 8:45 AM

I'm generally all for a good highrise that puts more people downtown. But the only thing that concerns me is that a bland concrete tower is being constructed on a riverfront property... I'm no expert but what does that say about our land-value in the area? If I'm not mistaken, in major cities, river/waterfront properties tend to be more desirable therefore more expensive.

Food for thought?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I'm generally all for a good highrise that puts more people downtown. But the only thing that concerns me is that a bland concrete tower is being constructed on a riverfront property... I'm no expert but what does that say about our land-value in the area? If I'm not mistaken, in major cities, river/waterfront properties tend to be more desirable therefore more expensive.

Food for thought?
Another highrise on the waterfront does speak to the desirability of the area... I'd say it's a positive statement, while the concrete nature of the tower speaks to the realities of our climate. The Vancouver-style glass forest really doesn't belong here.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post

Food for thought?
Yes, some cities have highly developed riverfront areas that are highly valued. However, such a situation will not happen in Winnipeg for a couple reasons.

First, unlike say Edmonton or Calgary where the river provides beautiful valley vistas even for people well back from the river, glaciers have scrapped Winnipeg flatter than a pancake (contrary to public belief, Winnipeg is far, far flatter than the flatlands of Saskatchewan). Therefore only the closest building gets to even see the river, and what they see is really just a stream level with the ground, nothing spectacular.

Second, the rivers in Winnipeg are rightly feared. They are forces of nature and have the power to destroy everything we've made here with their flooding. Because the areas near the river are covered by water every year which keeps them out of service often for half the summer and then deposits a thick layer of mud on them, the flood prone areas can't be extensively developed.

Put one and two together and you get a situation where if you are close enough to see the river you are too close to develop. For these reasons, Winnipeg will never be a river-facing city like so many in the world, and longing to make it that will only lead us to make poor decisions- ie. developing land best left to the waters. Of course you can enjoy the rivers from the top of a high-rise built anywhere in the city!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:43 PM

Saskatchewan really isn't flat at all.

There are some nice views to be had along the rivers in Winnipeg. Mostly looking down the river at the bends. But like you mentioned you need to be right on top of them to see anything.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 9:46 PM

There's still a lot of appeal to the rivers even without a valley. My balcony faces the Assiniboine, it's quiet and all you see is trees and greenery. Wouldn't even know you were 5mins from downtown. Units on the other side get parking, traffic, horns, "collectors" routing through the recycling, etc.

We're not Vancouver so I don't think anyone would expect to see that scale of waterfront development. But actually alot of mid- and high-rises are built along the rivers, ie Assiniboine Ave and Wellington Cres from River to academy.

Also there's 3 rivers and banks on each side so the total frontage of "waterfront" space is probably pretty high and thus maybe less in demand

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
There's still a lot of appeal to the rivers even without a valley. My balcony faces the Assiniboine, it's quiet and all you see is trees and greenery. Wouldn't even know you were 5mins from downtown. Units on the other side get parking, traffic, horns, "collectors" routing through the recycling, etc.

We're not Vancouver so I don't think anyone would expect to see that scale of waterfront development. But actually alot of mid- and high-rises are built along the rivers, ie Assiniboine Ave and Wellington Cres from River to academy.

Also there's 3 rivers and banks on each side so the total frontage of "waterfront" space is probably pretty high and thus maybe less in demand
Yup, certainly nothing wrong with the river views, just trying to explain why Winnipeg doesn't really have the whole "waterfront" concept that some cities have (aside from the Forks). Getting back to what the person I was responding to was asking, no, I don't think 300 Assiniboine is displacing or discouraging any "waterfront" type development as that simply isn't what works for with the rivers we have.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 2:29 PM
Transit Nerd

Forgot to post this picture... taken March 17th.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:01 PM

^ Nice! Always good to see a new tower rise in Peg. There's been a few additions last few years, with hertiage and alt now in addition to the human rights museum and hydro.

Next up I suppose is d condo and glasshouse! Nice to see.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Forgot to post this picture... taken March 17th.
Thanks for the pic. Can't say the same about your depressing avatar. Reminds me both of what Winnipeg can never have, as well as Edmonton's LRT which looks exactly like it and is going through some tough times with incompetent contractors and poor management. Sigh.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 3:22 AM

Do you guys know when this building is scheduled for completion?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 5:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapz View Post
Do you guys know when this building is scheduled for completion?
Yup. You can reserve a unit fall 2015 for fall 2016 occupancy. Because it is a rental building and they aren't financing it through deposits and loans based on sales figures, they have no need to lie about the timeline. This contrasts with projects like Dcondo which will supposedly be done at the same time as 300 Assiniboine despite the fact that the latter is 23 stories high and the former is below ground level right now. The website for 300 has been recently update with floor plans.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan