HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 2:04 AM

Airport renovation prepares for landing

BY SCOTT LARSON, THE STARPHOENIX MARCH 13, 2015

Quote:
It's been a long 33 months of construction at the Saskatoon John G. Diefenbaker International Airport.

But the massive $53 million expansion and renovations of the post-security section of the airport is soon coming to an end.

"We are within weeks of the whole thing being done," said Andrew Leeming, Saskatoon Airport Authority's vice president operational excellence. "Everybody is really happy with the end results."

Recently a number of areas have opened to the public, including a new security screening area and post-security there is now a number of restaurants/coffee shops and stores.

And within a few weeks all eight loading bridges will be open along with two ground load positions so the airport will be able to service 10 planes at the same time if needed.

In the post-security area The Refuel Restaurant and Bar is now open, as is a Tim Hortons and Prairie North, a gift store with a focus on saskatoon berries.

Leeming said that before, it was hard for travellers to take something like saskatoon berry jams because they couldn't get them through security.

"Now you can get them post-security," he said. "So if someone is travelling somewhere and wants to take something local with them this is the perfect opportunity."

Metalsmiths, a boutique jewelry store, duty-free shop and Relay store are set to open at the beginning of April.

[....]
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...019/story.html

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 2:05 AM

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 8:04 PM

CargoJet

It looks like the days of the B727 service in Regina are numbered. According to Cargojet's website, http://www.cargojet.com/ B757 service will start between YQR/YXE and YWG April 1st. This will increase cargo capacity by about 20,000 lbs per flight. No more loud 3 engine takeoffs in the middle of the night for the south and west enders.

Last edited by Robag; Mar 17, 2015 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
It looks like the days of the B727 days in Regina are numbered. According to Cargojet's website, http://www.cargojet.com/ B757 service will start between YQR/YXE and YWG April 1st. This will increase cargo capacity by about 20,000 lbs per flight. No more loud 3 engine takeoffs in the middle of the night for the south and west enders.
Yay!. I live in the east end and it still wakes me up in summer when the windows are open.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 9:17 PM

Quote:
It looks like the days of the B727 days in Regina are numbered. According to Cargojet's website, http://www.cargojet.com/ B757 service will start between YQR/YXE and YWG April 1st. This will increase cargo capacity by about 20,000 lbs per flight. No more loud 3 engine takeoffs in the middle of the night for the south and west enders.
That's awesome.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:22 PM

Two days ago, I noticed that there were two '727s parked at their usual spot: Purolator and CargoJet. Does anyone know if Purolator (Kelowna Flightcraft) is still active out of YXE/YQR?

Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:35 PM
ConstructionPete

Air Canada Announcing Additional Flight to Calgary

Delete*

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:37 PM
ConstructionPete

Air Canada Announcing Additional Flight to Calgary

Air Canada has announced additional service to Calgary from YXE beginning May 1. This will allow 5 daily flights to Calgary Monday to Friday and 4 during weekends. The additional flight will depart Saskatoon at 11:15am daily.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 7:37 PM

Quote:
It looks like the days of the B727 service in Regina are numbered. According to Cargojet's website, http://www.cargojet.com/ B757 service will start between YQR/YXE and YWG April 1st. This will increase cargo capacity by about 20,000 lbs per flight. No more loud 3 engine takeoffs in the middle of the night for the south and west enders.
OMG! 757 Service! That is my favorite Plane, well that along with its Sister Ship the 767 Going to be SO happy to see it!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 9:27 PM

Quote:
It looks like the days of the B727 service in Regina are numbered..
Thank God.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Two days ago, I noticed that there were two '727s parked at their usual spot: Purolator and CargoJet. Does anyone know if Purolator (Kelowna Flightcraft) is still active out of YXE/YQR?

Thanks.
I was under the impression that Kelowna Flightcraft are done, and CargoJet is in, so not sure why a Purolator would have been in town, unless there was some other cargo it was hauling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
OMG! 757 Service! That is my favorite Plane, well that along with its Sister Ship the 767 Going to be SO happy to see it!
The 757 is my favorite as well! In fact, I am in the process of booking some flights for late fall to Florida for my family, and Delta has some good prices right now. I've flown on many 757-200's, but I'm trying to book at least one of the legs with a 757-300. They are just enormously long aircraft.

I have to admit though, it will be sad to see those 727's gone. Another of the golden era of commercial aircraft slowly leaving the sky.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:33 AM

Well, YXE is looking better and better! The upstairs post-security area is pretty well complete - except for the area around Gate 1. (2 more weeks.)

The security screening section is very well planned for potential long line ups. There is also tons of extra room on the main floor that faces the airside.

It looks very impressive!!! Moreover, upstairs, it's quite a long stroll to get from end-to-end. For a 'smaller' airport, this would be one hell of a act to follow.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Well, YXE is looking better and better! The upstairs post-security area is pretty well complete - except for the area around Gate 1. (2 more weeks.)

The security screening section is very well planned for potential long line ups. There is also tons of extra room on the main floor that faces the airside.

It looks very impressive!!! Moreover, upstairs, it's quite a long stroll to get from end-to-end. For a 'smaller' airport, this would be one hell of a act to follow.
Hopefully YQR will take some design tips from YXE for it's next expansion.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Hopefully YQR will take some design tips from YXE for it's next expansion.
I hope so. The main floor is fine; however, upstairs is a complete disaster. I haven't seen any designs as yet, although I'm sure it'll be addressed. Back in '83, the feds, at that time, should have built on the north side of the main apron and levelled the old terminal. ( . . but of course, that would have made too much sense. Lol!)

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 6:57 PM

Love the look of the new airport expansion at YXE, can't wait to see it the next time I'm in S'toon.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 3:47 PM

Improved Food Service YQR

The food service at YQR will be improving over the summer. Personally, I would prefer the Subway post-security, not pre-security. All in all, still an improvement from what it currently is.

http://www.yqr.ca/images/YQR_Retail_...-_04.01.15.pdf

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 3:58 PM

Quote:
The food service at YQR will be improving over the summer. Personally, I would prefer the Subway post-security, not pre-security. All in all, still an improvement from what it currently is.

http://www.yqr.ca/images/YQR_Retail_...-_04.01.15.pdf
That is certainly an improvement - given the limited space available at this time. I'm sure looking forward to the final design of the expanded ATB.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 4:13 PM

Quote:
I hope so. The main floor is fine; however, upstairs is a complete disaster. I haven't seen any designs as yet, although I'm sure it'll be addressed. Back in '83, the feds, at that time, should have built on the north side of the main apron and levelled the old terminal. ( . . but of course, that would have made too much sense. Lol!)
At least where the terminal is now, they can expand around the corner to the North side around the drop-off loop. That would be interesting.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
At least where the terminal is now, they can expand around the corner to the North side around the drop-off loop. That would be interesting.
That certainly would be - and that would look great; however, the initial basic layout will be as described within my postings on page 41. (This thread, of course.)

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Maybe jumped the gun on this. It looks like another 3 months till we see the 757 service. There was an article in today's Leader Post regarding CargoJet and the quieter planes they will be flying into YQR/YXE.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan