HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R.Victor View Post
Korean Tacos: Banh Mi Boys, one location at Queen and Spadina, another opening up at Yonge and Gerrard
Really? That sounds more like Vietnamese place...

I ate at a Korean resto in Chinatown a few weeks ago, the one just north of Dundas. The Kimchi fried rice in the hot bowl was great.

I love eat dim sum too, usually eat at the Emerald restaurant in Mississauga. Not sure which is best though.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 2:46 PM

It could very well be a vietnamese place, or some form of asian - north american fusion, thought I assumed it to be korean due to their generous use of kimchi. The Kalbi Beef tacos, Beef Cheek Bao, and kimchi fries are to die for. The Yonge and Gerrard location is currently experiencing line-ups out the door even though they're still in their soft-opening week, and I proudly consider myself among the willing addicts.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:34 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Well Banh Mi is a Vietnamese sandwich (like a sub).

I might have to check this place out sometime.

A couple of decent Mexican places: Rancho Relaxo (300 College St) and Sabor a Mexico (341 Jane St)

Skip the fashionable new one in the Junction.. while pretty high quality and quite tasty, it's way too expensive for pitiful amount of food you get and uber-slow service.

Flickr®

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 9:49 PM

"Banh mi" is actually just the Vietnamese word for bread. It can refer to a sandwich, but it does not refer specifically to any particular type of sandwich.

An actual Vietnamese sandwich/sub would be something like "banh mi thap cam", which is probably the typical kind you see in the sandwich shop. Another type is "banh mi xiu mai", which is the meatball sub. If you eat dim sum, you will probably eat siu mai, which is similar to xiu mai, and the pronounciation is actually very similar too.

The best Viet sandwich shop is I know is Nguyen Huong in Chinatown, but they sell a lot great food other than sandwiches too. I usually get the sticky rice as well.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 9:51 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Hey guys, visiting my parents in Toronto for the first time since they moved. The girlfriend and I want to take them out for a nice meal at a relatively fancy spot. We have reservations tomorrow night at Bymark... just wondering if this is a good call? I really just made a choice based on online reviews.

Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 10:35 PM
The good old days are now

Going to Toronto next week and have a craving for Greek food. Any suggestions?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
Going to Toronto next week and have a craving for Greek food. Any suggestions?
Volos in downtown is a great higher end restaurant. If you go i definitely recommend getting Soutzoukakia, Exohico and Kritharoto. You'll rarely find these dishes in any Greek restaurant in North America.

Others in Greektown would be Pantheon, Messini, Mezes, Ouzeri, Omonia. I've also heard good things about Zorbas.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 3:17 AM

Going back to Toronto during Memorial Day weekend, or as they say in Canada, the last full weekend in May. Have plans to stroll Spadina and the St. Laurence Mkt for some great eats. How is the Kensington Mkt for food, never been there?Also, thinking about watching the Jays play the O's, how is the Rogers Cntr for a game? Last time I was in Toronto I really enjoyed Barvolo's nice selection of casks and Granite City's English Ales...what other beer bars are easily accesible by public transit in the TO? Thanks

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 2:37 PM

The Roger's Centre is no classic ballpark that's for sure. You can tell that it was deisgned for multiple purposes in mind when you're there, but it's still a good time.

Beer Bistro has the best beer menu I've encountered and great food too. It's located on King St. just East of Yonge right downtown, and you'd probably be able to walk there from the Roger's Centre.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleItalyCleveland View Post
Going back to Toronto during Memorial Day weekend, or as they say in Canada, the last full weekend in May. Have plans to stroll Spadina and the St. Laurence Mkt for some great eats. How is the Kensington Mkt for food, never been there?Also, thinking about watching the Jays play the O's, how is the Rogers Cntr for a game? Last time I was in Toronto I really enjoyed Barvolo's nice selection of casks and Granite City's English Ales...what other beer bars are easily accesible by public transit in the TO? Thanks
There are some great eats in Kensington Market, I've never had anything bad at any of the places I've been too. I particularly like the huge burritos at Big Fat Burritos on Augusta Ave.

As for St Lawrence Market. It's a lot of fun to wander around, but I would avoid the food here. My wife and I have tried several times at a number of different stalls, but nearly always this has resulted in one or both of us getting the trots.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
The Roger's Centre is no classic ballpark that's for sure. You can tell that it was deisgned for multiple purposes in mind when you're there, but it's still a good time.

Beer Bistro has the best beer menu I've encountered and great food too. It's located on King St. just East of Yonge right downtown, and you'd probably be able to walk there from the Roger's Centre.
Beer Bistro is on the list, thanks. Also walking distance from where we'll be staying... the Hilton on University and Richmond

DrNest- I've only had a croissant at the bread vendor on the basement level at St. Lawrence- it was quite good. I want to try the Peameal Bacon Sandwich and whatever seafood sounds good at Busters Sea Cove, but your mention about the squirts has me somewhat leary.

Thanks for responses

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 8:33 PM

I was going to also recommend the Academy of Spherical Arts, because the food there was very good, and the whisk(e)y selection beyond amazing. But I've just found out it has closed. Does anybody know why and what happened? I've done some Google searches, but it's hard to get an accurate picture from ramblings on various review sites.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 3:39 AM

Once again food and drink scene in the big toe was great! My new favorite bar, Barvolo, had a tasting along with the brewers from (sp) la try du diabla... Fun guys , as most brewers are...they love to chat about their craft, and it was cool they chatted up the beer scene in Cleveland. I tried smokes poutineire, the gravy was a bit too sagey and the cheese squeeked... shutters... The LCBO on Summerhill was more than impressive, I bought off ALL of the Spitfire, a great English ale that cannot be bought in the states . My girlfriend LOVED Wanda's waffles on Yonge , yeah it was good. LOVE TORONTO!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 11:18 PM

There's a trio of pizza joints near the U of T campus that kick ass.

Side-by-side at Harbord and Spadina is Papa Ceo (very good) and Cora's Pizza (even better). Between Bathurst and Spadina on College is Massimo's Pizza, which serves the best slices in the city I've yet tried.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto