HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:26 PM

Why not? The ESB is only 53 feet higher than 1 Vanderbilt and this render seems to be from the pov of the top of the MetLife building which is 593 feet shorter than 1 Vandy. Also for reference the Lincoln building in the foreground is 673 feet. Now I will admit the very bright searchlight atop 1WTC is busted, so the 3 crown pinnacle lights as shown are a little fanciful.

The views of the ESB and the Chrysler Building from 1 Vandy are going to be awesome. Some construction pics already indicate that.

Last edited by BoM Trespasser; Jan 9, 2019 at 10:06 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 8:10 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
I had it too, many years ago, but I don't think I have it in my possession any more. Everyone in my family knew I was (and am) a skyscraper fanatic and if memory serves it was a Christmas gift to me some time in my teens.
Me too, loved that book. It seems like everyone on SSP had that book. I still have my copy somewhere in my apartment. I'll have to find it. I think it came out right after the Petronas Towers were completed if memory serves me right.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 8:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Speaking about Chrysler, the tower is going back out to the market (up for sale).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Speaking about Chrysler, the tower is going back out to the market (up for sale).
Speaking of that, I wonder if Chrysler will ever be converted to condos.

There might be diminishing demand for it as an office building, given it's small floor-plates and small windows

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 9:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post

There might be diminishing demand for it as an office building, given it's small floor-plates and small windows
I could see that happening in the future similar to what went on with Woolworth. A lot of existing structures had conversions, including 55 Wall and 55 Liberty. You have a couple of hybrids too like the Waldorf Astoria which will be hotel and condo.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 1:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr101 View Post
I've always viewed One Vanderbilt as sort of an ESB 2.0. A bigger more modern version. Its turning out a lot better than the renderings imo.
Yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
I think I saw this rendering long ago but had forgotten about it. Yes it's an excellent illustration of the developer/architect's intent that, along with 1 WTC and ESB, One Vanderbilt will be a symbol of the city, with the three supertalls' spire tips forming some sort of a constellation. I now see that it's designed to be the lovechild between the ESB and...not the Chrysler, but 1 WTC. It would have played this role even better had it been 1,500+ ft as originally designed, because it's in an area with many other tall buildings, so it's harder to stand above the crowd. It's easier for the ESB and 1 WTC to stand out.

When it's lit at night, it will be very hard to distinguish between this tower and the ESB for most people who don't regularly stare at skyscrapers, and aren't familiar with the NY skyline. Wish it had kept that extra 100 ft though, because the Chase tower will be only 4 short blocks directly to the north. But Vandy will have a good 3 years before that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoM Trespasser View Post
The views of the ESB and the Chrysler Building from 1 Vandy are going to be awesome. Some construction pics already indicate that.
Something else to look forward to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
Very possible. Look at the Woolworth.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsbXi5VgMbd/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsYhfsulqSk/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsa9MqZhyPS/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsZf-8wgozn/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsYd3F9H52Z/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 10, 2019 at 2:10 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 2:23 PM

^^Somehow I had never noticed B. of A.'s lit spire at night. It looks better than during the daytime, but it's still just a cheap trick to dramatically increase the official structural height of the building. Thankfully 1 Vanderbilt's spire is much more reasonable. After the 4 Times Square, NYTimes, B. of A., and 1 WTC, NYC shouldn't have any more of these oversized spires.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 3:01 PM

Quote:
^^Somehow I had never noticed B. of A.'s lit spire at night. It looks better than during the daytime, but it's still just a cheap trick to dramatically increase the official structural height of the building. Thankfully 1 Vanderbilt's spire is much more reasonable. After the 4 Times Square, NYTimes, B. of A., and 1 WTC, NYC shouldn't have any more of these oversized spires.
It only matters whether the spires look good or bad. Whether they are "cheating" building height is irrelevant. And actually impossible given the conventions on how buildings are measured.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 3:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
I think it depends on the design of the tower. Take the ESB for example. One of those cases where the spire and even the lightning rod/communications mast adds so much to the look and feel of it. We've grown so accustomed to see the ESB with the communications spire that without it, it would dramatically change the look of it.

Visualize the ESB only at 1,250 ft, and remove the extension that brings it up to 1,454 ft. Would drastically change the feel of it.

On a side note, the ESB is a spire done right. They can be an aesthetic bonus and integral part of design, but pulling them off is the hard part. Vandy pulls it off greatly, per rendering. NY Times, doesn't. I'd even argue that B. of America looks bad with one. Chrysler, another example of a fine spire.

While we are not getting one, even with a flat roof, CPT could really use one.

Again, depending on the design, even with a flat roof, it can add so much to the feel/look of it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 4:02 PM
Show me the blueprints

Well I can't speak for others but I'd love to see all the comm junk taken off the top of ESB. Using the decorative spire for transmission was not the original intention (we all know what the original fool hearty idea was) and I think a restoration of the architects original pinnacle to the ESB is totally appropriate. The question would be where could the transmission spires go - a new tallest down the road perhaps...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 5:40 PM

Hasn't some of that function (transmission) gone to 1WTC?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 6:28 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yes i believe at least wnbc jumped over -- and i also see this topic is kind of an interesting internetz rabbit hole.

so as you would imagine esb still supports a wide variety of broadcasting:

http://www.esbnyc.com/business-esb/broadcasting

1wtc supports: WCBS, WNBC, Telemundo’s WNJU, Fox’s WNYW and WWOR, Ion’s WPXN and noncommercial WNET.

i remember reading the news back when telemundo was the first to broadcast from the new wtc and thought that was a nice milestone.

here is something else about 1wtc broadcasting:
https://www.broadcastingcable.com/po...mitters-171536

no doubt 1wtc could also support a lot more, if it doesn't already and i'm sure there is room for other towers to get in on this spire broadcasting side business.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 1:20 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 11, 2019 at 1:33 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 2:01 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The summer wind came blowin' in from across the sea
It lingered there, to touch your hair and walk with me
All summer long we sang a song and then we strolled that golden sand
Two sweethearts and the summer wind
Like painted kites, those days and nights they went flyin' by
The world was new beneath a blue umbrella sky
Then softer than a piper man, one day it called to you
I lost you, I lost you to the summer wind
The autumn wind, and the winter winds they have come and gone
And still the days, those lonely days, they go on and on
And guess who sighs his lullabies through nights that never end
My fickle friend, the summer wind
The summer wind
Warm summer wind
The summer wind

- Frank Sinatra

Credit: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsdxm4BHwAr/

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 2:08 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 12, 2019 at 3:00 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 4:07 AM

It looks like the ceiling height on the upper floors are going to be higher than those in the mid section of the building.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 5:34 PM

Been a while, from Friday :

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyguy View Post
i mean, who wouldn't

Last edited by ESysyn; Jan 13, 2019 at 6:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to Quote

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 1:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESysyn View Post
i mean, who wouldn't
Most people.

I love the way this building is connected to the city.

https://www.kpf.com/projects/one-vanderbilt

Quote:
Set to become the tallest office tower in Midtown, One Vanderbilt will skillfully meet the market demands of Midtown East as it transforms the civic experience of the Grand Central District.

Following the layered architectural language of neighboring New York City icons, One Vanderbilt joins the Chrysler Building and Empire State Building as one of three point towers to define the city’s renowned skyline.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsmAknWnCN-/

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 2:46 AM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive