HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 10:46 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Is there actually a merge lane there at Archibald. I assume you guys know.

The stretch of Henderson needs the same treatment as the Saskatchewan Ave project in Portage.
When they rebuilt the stretch of Fermor between Archibald and St. Anne's Rd 3 years ago, they added merge lanes there. There is enough length of the merge lanes to get up to speed (70 km/h) and merge into the lanes.

Whoever replaced those signs with a yield needs to be fired.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
That has got to be the most backwards thing ever. Maybe call or message 311 on Twitter to address the error.
Isn't it a Winnipeg Public Works tradition to flip a coin to see whether a merge or a yield gets picked regardless of the intersection design?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 2:25 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

The stretch of Henderson needs the same treatment as the Saskatchewan Ave project in Portage.

There is a functional study currently underway. It was recently awarded to….I can’t quite remember, but one of the usual suspects - Stantec, WSP or Dillon.

It is at least 5 to 7 years out from construction unless the city finds some money.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
because 80% of the drivers in this city doesn't know how to merge.
People don't merge because there are few merge lanes in this city. When you are at an intersection you aren't familiar with, the most sensible course of action is to assume there is no merge lane because most of the time, there isn't.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 10:44 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
People don't merge because there are few merge lanes in this city. When you are at an intersection you aren't familiar with, the most sensible course of action is to assume there is no merge lane because most of the time, there isn't.
Which goes back to why one needs to pay attention of their surroundings, especially the signs, what's ahead in front of you, and any oncoming traffic. Is that right turn on the turning lane a yield or a merge? If it's a yield, yield the right of way. If it's a bright yellow merge sign, I still check, but I don't slow down or stop in the middle of the turn, when there's at least 150 m of road directly in front of me, enough to accelerate at speed. Then I signal my intentions to merge. If there's heavy traffic, the onus is on the drivers on the lane I want to go on. Ideally, they should change lanes when possible, but if not, they should at least slow down or speed up to give the merging vehicle space.

In a perfect world, this would go on as if nothing happens. Of course, we don't live in a perfect world, so there is bound to be stuff like this, and me bitching about these things.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 10:55 PM

They will “solve” the problem on Henderson by putting up a new traffic signal at Bonner.

A boulevard all the way to 101 was needed >10 years ago, especially after CPT and several new condo builds.

Very dangerous stretch here.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Which goes back to why one needs to pay attention of their surroundings, especially the signs, what's ahead in front of you, and any oncoming traffic. Is that right turn on the turning lane a yield or a merge? If it's a yield, yield the right of way. If it's a bright yellow merge sign, I still check, but I don't slow down or stop in the middle of the turn, when there's at least 150 m of road directly in front of me, enough to accelerate at speed. Then I signal my intentions to merge. If there's heavy traffic, the onus is on the drivers on the lane I want to go on. Ideally, they should change lanes when possible, but if not, they should at least slow down or speed up to give the merging vehicle space.

In a perfect world, this would go on as if nothing happens. Of course, we don't live in a perfect world, so there is bound to be stuff like this, and me bitching about these things.
The problem is that the signage is inconsistent. As you have noted, yields and merges are not always used correctly. And also, this sign and the layout it represents barely exist in Winnipeg:

So it's hard to fault someone for being cautious.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 3:54 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

THIS.

Having lived in the States with proper interstates where you have four city blocks to merge into traffic...

I assume there is either no merge lane or a minimal (8 foot long) merge lane most of the time in Winnipeg and so I usually come to a dead stop instead of risking my life.

While I would rather spend the money on transit or active transit, I will say that there is nothing even remotely close in this province to a modern highway (built after 1980). LOL

The interchange at Hwy 59 and Concordia is the closest thing we have to a modern grade-separated roadway with adequate merge lanes.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 3:32 PM

Pembina and Bishop is quite adequate.

There are many location where the proper lanes are there. Everyone's right about consistency of signage. If there's a yellow merge lane sign there better be a lane there. Otherwise yield sign it is.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 3:33 PM

Quote:
When they rebuilt the stretch of Fermor between Archibald and St. Anne's Rd 3 years ago, they added merge lanes there. There is enough length of the merge lanes to get up to speed (70 km/h) and merge into the lanes.

Whoever replaced those signs with a yield needs to be fired.
Thanks. I believe previously it was just a dinky right turn cut-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
There is a functional study currently underway. It was recently awarded to….I can’t quite remember, but one of the usual suspects - Stantec, WSP or Dillon.

It is at least 5 to 7 years out from construction unless the city finds some money.
Thanks for the info! As I mentioned, I've been out of the loop on tenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
They will “solve” the problem on Henderson by putting up a new traffic signal at Bonner.

A boulevard all the way to 101 was needed >10 years ago, especially after CPT and several new condo builds.

Very dangerous stretch here.
The City recently "solved" the same traffic issue on Watt St. by putting up another traffic light at Harbison. haha already the traffic light at Washington that is useless. And from what I understand a knee jerk installation way back when due to an incident.

I would think Henderson will be 6 lanes from Chief to McIvor. Then 4 lanes north from there. Maybe they go 6 the whole way I don't know. Hopefully get bike paths on at least one side to connect Bunns Creek with CPT greenway. The timber bridge at Bunns Creek is to be replaced.

I'll say it once more. Such a shame there was zero effort to install bike paths as part of the multi-year road replacement projects.

Last edited by bomberjet; Jan 24, 2022 at 3:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 7:21 PM

I've actually been cycling that section of Henderson often this summer to connect to the Bunns Creek trail and it is an absolute death trap. They re-did the approach to the Bunns Creek bridge and didn't even make it so there's a curb easement for cyclists to use the sidewalk on the bridge as there's no shoulder on the road section.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 7:45 PM

Ya you need to use the approach into that apartment building. So if you didn't know, you're out in traffic.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 5:37 AM

https://www.winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/Folde...2021&YEAR=2021

The bid opp is here for Henderson. Phase 1 to be complete by end of January. It's all the expected stuff.

Apparently it's a concrete box culvert at Bunns Creek. Not a timber bridge. It was timber in the 1930's. There is some timber in there from what I remember.

Missed the public engagement part of this. Nothing was presented it seems, just public inpout.
https://engage.winnipeg.ca/henderson..._feed#tool_tab

Last edited by bomberjet; Jan 25, 2022 at 3:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 2:39 PM
What could go wrong?

Awarded to Stantec
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 2:55 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
https://www.winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/Folde...2021&YEAR=2021

The bid opp is here for Henderson. Phase 1 to be complete by end of January. It's all the expected stuff.

Apparently it's a concrete box culvert at Bunns Creek. Not a timber bridge. It was timber in the 1930's. There is some timber in there from what I remember.
looks like there still is: https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.95863...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 3:15 PM

Thanks Biff.

It says the actual culvert is concrete. I guess they either left or added the timber wing walls. Either way. It's proposed to be replaced.

Hopefully we'll see some design options coming soon. Jan. 31 is supposed to be the deadline for functional design, with public engagement to follow.

I had thought about this and people commented on it. About the possibility of a pedestrian tunnel to cross Henderson. Not sure if it'd be possible with the flooding that goes on there. Maybe raise the road a bit. But it is a nasty spot. The ramp coming up from the east side is also quite steep.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Snip
The City recently "solved" the same traffic issue on Watt St. by putting up another traffic light at Harbison. haha already the traffic light at Washington that is useless. And from what I understand a knee jerk installation way back when due to an incident.

end snip.
Harbison is not a traffic light but one of those new pedestrian crossings that use a half traffic signal instead of a pedestrian corridor. There was some reason presented in one of the city committee meetings to justify that installation instead of a standard pedestrian crossing.

Washington and Watt was signalized back in the City of East Kildonan days when some young kid was fatally injured. I think it was the late 1950's or early 1960's when that happened. Back at that time there was a large tractor plant in the area off of Raleigh between Washington and Bowman. It produced a lot of traffic as shift changes.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 8:12 PM

I find these opening of lands odd. This one before council today for opening of slices of land at Molson and Concordia. This work was done ages ago. So you're telling me people have been illegally using the ROW for many years now? What does this mean?

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...27(RM)C-52.pdf

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 4:04 AM

Quote:
I find these opening of lands odd. This one before council today for opening of slices of land at Molson and Concordia. This work was done ages ago. So you're telling me people have been illegally using the ROW for many years now? What does this mean?

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...27(RM)C-52.pdf
The link is not working for me but going on memory I think the City had something like a permission to occupy agreement from the landowners on certain lands required for the right of way while the land purchases were going on.

This may be the final legal step to transfer those lands from the former owner to the city.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 3:56 PM

Seems like the council meeting has been removed. Will re-link when I can find it.

I see these types of things come up all the time. Opening of ROW, closing of ROW. Just odd when they're so late for things that have been in service.

Also, thanks for the info on the Harbison ped crossing lights. I didn't notice there are no lights for Harbison. Just the ped crossing, as you described.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan