HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 3:46 AM

With city out of Gadsden deal, Rio Nuevo will expand Mercado

Some activity on the West Side.

Quote:
Rio Nuevo also is investing $2.2 million in a $5 million project to expand Gadsden’s Mercado San Agustin, a Mexican-style plaza with a central courtyard, shops and restaurants in the Menlo Park neighborhood...

The Mercado San Agustin Annex will be constructed in six to nine months, beginning in September.

It will be built on 1.5 acres with 20,000 square feet of rentable space inside 53 shipping containers arranged in a way that creates “cool gathering spaces,” Dixon said.

The container buildings — chosen partly for the cool factor and partly as a placeholder for something bigger and better years down the road — would be connected by wooden decks around landscaped courtyards, he said.

All spaces are pre-leased and include a beer shop, a bike shop near a future city bike-share kiosk, a restaurant and a coffee shop, said Adam Weinstein, president and CEO of The Gadsden Co...

Gadsden plans to begin construction later this year on a $25-million project called The Monier, market-rate apartments with a plaza and a rooftop pool and more office and restaurant spaces. Gadsden will receive a loan through a HUD program that promotes urban infill and transit-oriented development projects.

And next month Gadsden will hear whether they will receive state low-income housing tax credits needed to build a $17 million low-income housing project called West End Station.

Renders: The Gadsden Company (via AZ Daily Star)

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
I saw something about this on the news a couple nights ago but they were pretty short on details. Looks interesting, I'll just leave it at that, but glad to see they're all pre-leased.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 3:02 PM

Two articles about developments from the Arizona Builder's Exchange website. The second we knew about, the first seems new.

Tucson Developer Planning Big Mixed-Use

A developer is seeking approval for a Planned Area Development to encompass 63 acres of vacant land at Irvington Road and Interstate 19 (three miles south of Interstate 10) in Tucson. If approved, the proposal will create a massive, multi-phase, mixed-use commercial center to be called Irvington Commercial Center.

Commercial Real Estate Developer Bourn Companies proposes to transform the undeveloped desert land at the NWC of Irvington Road and I-19 into a, “… vibrant commercial development to serve the immediate neighborhood along with visitors and the rest of the region driving along our major interstate system,” according to the submitted documents.

The development will be divided into five areas:

Development Area 1 encompasses about 11 acres and will be developed with smaller commercial pads with high visibility along the I-19 frontage and access provided by a pair of driveways at existing, signalized intersections, as well as a third driveway.
Development Area 2 (8 acres) will be located near the SWC of the site and will serve as an extension of Area 1 uses, but without direct roadway frontage.
Development Area 3 (21 acres) lies at the center of the PAD and will be tied to the other four areas by vehicle and pedestrian circulation routes.
Development Area 4 (12 acres) lies near the center of the site, south of the proposed spine roadway.
Development Area 5 (11 acres) is on the far north of the property.

Actual phasing of the five development areas – including the order and boundaries of those development phases – will depend on market conditions and demands. Site improvements will be completed as needed. The Arizona Department of Transportation will be making improvements to the frontage on the east side of the property, as well as providing a sound wall between the site and a residential area to the north, as part of the agency’s Interstate 19 Improvement Project.

The proposed spine road will include an eight-foot pathway to provide vehicle, pedestrian and bike access to the whole property, providing at least two connections to the Santa Cruz Riverpark. The developer will also provide a bus pullout shelter on the westbound side of Irvington Road.

No GC or project timeline were identified in the submittal.

New Tucson Transitional, Acute Care Facility

An Indiana-based developer of healthcare projects is seeking to rezone 8.5 acres of land from education uses to medical services uses. If approved, Mainstreet Property Group will build the Mainstreet Health and Wellness Suites at the NEC of East Pima Street and North Rosemont Boulevard in Tucson.

The new building will encompass 68KSF of space, to create a transitional care center to provide therapy and post-acute care for patients following surgery or injury. Lot 1 will include the 47.3KSF transitional care center, providing extended services to 70 beds.

The Lot 1 building will feature a 20’-6” parapet and a 28’ tower feature. At the corners of the building will be landscaped rainwater harvesting basins. Inset into the outside of the north and south elevations, large courtyards will create beautiful areas for a building entryway, rehab area, dining area and a putting green. The building will be encircled by a ring road with outdoor parking and access drives along both East Pima and North Rosemont.

A future construction phase will include Lot 2 (14KSF) and Lot 3 (15KSF), which will house outpatient medical services. No GC or timeline information was provided with the submittal.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
This news sort of got buried in all the excitement of the hockey deal getting finalized, but it's a significant shift in finally getting those vacant parcels west of I-10 developed. And the speed at which Rio Nuevo is getting things done is quite impressive when you consider how fast the wheels usually turn in Tucson. Going forward, these local developers are now on a short leash to get shovels in the ground and keep up the momentum of downtown's redevelopment.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 1:00 AM

Walked around downtown a little this afternoon and took some pictures.

View of the AC from Arizona Avenue - the angle opposite of the webcam.

The refurbished facade of the old Grill building.

1 West Broadway looking southwest.

1 West Broadway looking northwest.

Stone Avenue Townhomes progress.

Peach Properties banner on the Brings Funeral Home. I didn't notice any construction activity, though.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Walked around downtown a little this afternoon and took some pictures.

Peach Properties banner on the Brings Funeral Home. I didn't notice any construction activity, though.
I work at the building directly south of this building (the building out of view, but directly to the left of the street, McCormick, that's closed in this picture). I walk past this building every morning. There were rumors at my work about a month ago that this was going to be turned into a restaurant/bar. I happened to be walking by when a gentleman was hanging this banner pictured. I asked him what was going in there. He said he had no idea.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 5:03 PM

Finally found a rendering of the SIPHER Building via some creative internet searching, but no promises that it's up-to-date.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 8:27 PM

TUS-JFK Flights to Start in October

American is going to offer non-stops from Tucson to New York.

According to the Star, the first New York flight will leave JFK at 5 p.m. ET starting Thursday, Oct. 6. The inaugural Tucson-JFK flight will depart at 7:57 a.m. local time starting Oct. 7 and arrive in New York at 4 p.m.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 1:36 AM

New Project Map - Tucson Development Projects

As an additional feature for my project list, I've added a Google map that shows each project as well as the streetcar route (just click on the link to the map shown in the list). I've also noted a few infill sites for downtown, but I'm sure there are more that could be included.

Last edited by kaneui; May 26, 2016 at 3:02 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
As an additional feature for my project list, I've added a Google map that shows each project as well as the streetcar route (just click on the link to the map shown in the list). I've also noted a few infill sites for downtown, but I'm sure there are more that could be included.
Thanks for keeping that list. I visit it regularly

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 9:21 PM

Noticed they poured the first foundation for the Stone Avenue Townhomes a few days ago (I could see the cement truck right outside my coworker's window). I was leaving work today and saw they were working on the framing for the first floor on this same one - it will be the one furthest to the south on the east side (directly behind the old Bring's Funeral Home).

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 1:11 AM

Old Dominion expanding near new HomeGoods and FedEx facilities

A chunk of land on the city’s south side has been sold to a global transportation company.

Records from the Pima County Recorder’s Office show North Carolina-based Old Dominion Freight Line bought 9.4 acres of land at 3375 E. Corona Road from Business Park of the Desert LLC for $1.2 million.

The site of its future operation will be next to the new HomeGoods and FedEx facilities.

A spokeswoman for Old Dominion said the company was not prepared to make a public announcement of its plans .

The less-than-truckload (LTL) carrier is more than 80 years old and provides regional and national distribution, as well as logistics services.

Old Dominion currently has a Tucson service center on North Dragoon Street, west of Interstate 10 and Grant Road. It also has service centers in Phoenix and Flagstaff.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 3:30 PM

Here's the construction camera for the new Banner outpatient facility at Campbell and Allen: http://www.workzonecam.com/projects/...us/workzonecam

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 4:13 AM

Big changes sought for historic church property near UA

...Plans to demolish parts of a West University church property to build residential and retail spaces have moved one step closer to approval.

The nearly 3-acre site of the Trinity Presbyterian Church complex at 400 E. University Blvd., at the intersection of North Fourth Avenue and University , could see two new buildings with retail, office and rental units if the plan is approved by the mayor and City Council.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 3:32 PM

Downtown murals beautify and prevent graffiti

Has been talked about this last week in the news...but just wanted to mention it here just in case. These large murals are amazing and bring life and color to downtown.

My favorite is the Benjamin Supply mural.

The article has a link to a map with all the locations.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
Big changes sought for historic church property near UA

...Plans to demolish parts of a West University church property to build residential and retail spaces have moved one step closer to approval.

The nearly 3-acre site of the Trinity Presbyterian Church complex at 400 E. University Blvd., at the intersection of North Fourth Avenue and University , could see two new buildings with retail, office and rental units if the plan is approved by the mayor and City Council.
This was one proposed option for the site. Does anyone know what they are currently considering?

Render: Rob Paulus Architects

http://robpaulus.com/projects/trinity-mixed-use/

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 3:38 PM

Quote:
This was one proposed option for the site. Does anyone know what they are currently considering?

Render: Rob Paulus Architects

http://robpaulus.com/projects/trinity-mixed-use/
Rob Paulus is the developer, so I'd assume it's still this design.

A model from their website:

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 3:51 PM

I was reading through the current BizTucson yesterday and, like usual, they have an article on downtown development. We know about almost everything that was discussed but I had never heard of one project mentioned in passing - One Forty One South.

The rendering is the bottom center image in this collage.

A Google search revealed a Google map of downtown projects, which looks a lot like kaneui's but I think is from Downtown Tucson's website, that includes the full rendering.

The location is 141 South Stone, between Ochoa and Corral, just north of the Stone Avenue Homes. I couldn't find anything on PRO and it hasn't gone before the Infill Incentive District Design Review Committee

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
A Google search revealed a Google map of downtown projects, which looks a lot like kaneui's but I think is from Downtown Tucson's website, that includes the full rendering.
I'm curious as to who created that map, as much of the text from the project descriptions is practically verbatim from my project list. (Although I also suspect it was DTP, as they were requested to provide Caterpillar a slew of information on downtown, even though the development map on their website is very minimal and outdated.)

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
I'm curious as to who created that map, as much of the text from the project descriptions is practically verbatim from my project list. (Although I also suspect it was DTP, as they were requested to provide Caterpillar a slew of information on downtown, even though the development map on their website is very minimal and outdated.)
ROYALTIES! you deserve royalties!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest