HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
i was downtown today when it was snowing! it was beautiful!

Great minds think alike. I snapped this picture from a slightly different angle.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 11:53 PM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaeffa View Post
Great minds think alike. I snapped this picture from a slightly different angle.

WOW! we were definitely there at the same time... because my car is in your photo! haha.. I'm pretty sure if that palm tree wasnt blocking the view you would see me.. haha

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarainza View Post
also a question, does the lot next to unisource have to be an office building? could it also go into a mixed-use project there? i feel a smaller building not a twin but with a similar style would look nice there to add character. since the foundation is there already, wouldnt it be cheaper to develop it first than buy a new property and start from scratch?
I'd love to have a modern building besides the Unisource and hopefully, much taller, different and nicer. Unisource is a nice looking building. Browsing in the internets, looks like buildings with several gardens with trees in/around/above the building seems to be the trend these days - I like that...like the HUB ( , I love you, man!) . Some newer buildings seem to be covered with a facade (wire mesh?)...that would be perfect for renovating city hall and the county admin/superior court buildings ( Brutatlist ). There's an empty lot besides the TEP and Chicago Store, that may be another spot for a high/mid rise.

As mentioned, yes, if you want to brag about your 'HISTORICAL' house, FIX IT!!! Cut the lawn, paint it, fix your freak'in door etc... I've seen a lot of 'historical' houses refurbished around downtown lately, they look nice. In fact, that San Carlos apts across TEP has been undergoing a lot of refurbishing inside and out.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 6:32 AM

Grand Canyon University looks to Tucson for possible new campus

By Patrick McNamara

Phoenix-based Grand Canyon University has plans to build a new campus and Tucson is on the short list of locations. The new campus would ultimately serve up to 7,000 students and have as many as 2,000 employees.

“We’re just trying to determine where we’re going to take our first step,” said Bill Jenkins, spokesman for Grand Canyon University.

Jenkins said the university had first sought to expand into the Phoenix metro area’s East Valley, which includes the communities of Chandler, Mesa, Scottsdale, Tempe, Ahwatukee and Gilbert. School officials issued a request for proposals to get a sense of what the communities could offer the proposed expansion campus.

When word reached Tucson that Grand Canyon was looking for a new site, Tucson Regional Economic Opportunities President and CEO Joe Snell and a group of close to 20 government and private industry leaders from the region went to meet with university officials.

“We are very confident that we have a regional plan that will be compelling to them,” Snell said.

The group has put together a proposal that shows numerous locations in the Tucson region that would meet the university’s site requirements.

“We were very impressed,” Jenkins said.

Jenkins said the university would look for a site of about 75 to 100 acres that could accommodate four campus buildings for classrooms, a recreation center and food services. There are no plans for student housing.

Snell said a TREO analysis estimates the economic impact of the campus could be as much as $1.6 billion. “That’s as much as Ventana Medical Systems,” he said.

Grand Canyon University plans to break ground on the campus by this summer and start classes in fall 2014. The campus also could qualify for incentives offered by the Arizona Commerce Authority.

Grand Canyon University, founded in 1949, is a private, Christian university accredited for undergraduate and graduate degrees by the Higher Learning Commission. More than 7,000 students study at the university’s Phoenix campus and more than 40,000 take classes online.

Jenkins said that the search of a new campus, which at one time included Albuquerque and Las Vegas, is now down to just two possibilities; either Tucson or the East Valley.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 5:43 PM

$90M road hub proposed for S. Side
RAYTHEON BUFFER PLAN EXPANDED INTO AEROSPACE, DEFENSE CORRIDOR

Becky Pallack Arizona Daily Star

Pima County's $40 million plan to protect Raytheon has evolved into a $90 million one-road-fits-all plan designed to meet the needs of a growing list of existing and hoped-for future employers in a broad corridor across Tucson's far south side.

But coming up with the $90 million to get it built will require a large infusion of county bonds, state and federal funding - and possibly even Pima County's first road tolls, said County Administrator Chuck Huckelberry.

Huckelberry is billing it as "probably the most important economic development project that's come along in 30 years."

The planning began when local leaders reacted to the shock of Raytheon Missile Systems choosing Huntsville, Ala., over Tucson as the site of a new business unit a few years ago.

Raytheon is the Tucson area's largest private employer and Huckelberry wanted a plan to protect jobs and allow the company to grow here.

The initial idea was for the county to buy land and shift roadways around Raytheon, creating a buffer zone that would help the company keep its current contracts and provide a business park site for a future expansion.

The work was to cost $40 million, including $29 million in funding from a future bond election, now tentatively scheduled for 2014.

But since then, the county has moved ahead quickly with the plan, spending $6 million in general fund money to buy the buffer land and securing $8 million from the Pima Association of Governments to relocate Hughes Access Road.

Once those projects didn't need to be part of the bond package, Huckelberry started to rethink the scope.

Now he is proposing an Aerospace Parkway, a highway that would meet all the needs of the old plans for about $90 million in bond money.

"We now have a larger vision for this roadway becoming a real state highway, and an interstate really," Huckelberry said.

The project would help not only help Raytheon but also connect two University of Arizona research parks, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, the Arizona Air National Guard, the airport and the Port of Tucson.

The Hughes Access Road relocation would become part of the parkway, as would the Old Vail Connection Road. Together, they would form a new state highway stretching from Interstate 10 at Rita Road near the UA Tech Park to Nogales Highway, near a new 2,500-acre research park, creating an Aerospace and Defense Corridor.

A later phase, which is not part of the proposed bond package, would connect the parkway to Interstate 19, likely though Sahuarita. The convergence of highways, rail lines and an airport in one area on Tucson's south side would create an Import Distribution Zone.

"There's been this kind of rethinking of the road to actually make it much more functional from an interstate and interstate commerce perspective," Huckelberry said.

Because the new highway would be a closed system, it could be a toll road to help pay for itself, he said.

Huckelberry is asking the Bond Advisory Committee to add the highway to the draft bond package at its May meeting.

Committee chairman Larry Hecker said he personally likes the way the idea has developed and that one project could provide mobility and access to several key economic centers.

But the committee needs to hear more about the rationale behind the project and the defined benefits it could bring.

"The ultimate benefit is the creation and retention of well-paying jobs," Hecker said.

The committee wants Huckelberry to explain what kinds of jobs could be created.

Advocates for the aerospace/defense and logistics industries support the plan.

Mike Grassinger, president of the D-M 50 and CEO of The Planning Center, called Huckelberry's plan "visionary."

"I think it's a really good move that he's making that's going to help secure the continued existence of Raytheon in our community," Grassinger said.

Mike Valencia, president of the Southern Arizona Logistics Education Organization, said the highway project is important for attracting employers who need a strategic logistics hub.

"It's another one of those important blocks in building this community into a major logistics center," Valencia said.

He said the highway would save time for companies moving goods from Mexico and the distribution zone would provide truck, rail and air options for moving those goods beyond Tucson.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 6:30 PM

Just working on some primitive arithmetic with our recent student housing above 3 floors.
Level - 14 fl, 586 students
District on 5th - 5 fl, 756 students
Greyhound - 6 fl, 287 students
Railyard - 5 fl, 169 students
The Hub ( ) - 14 fl, 606 students
Park Ave - 13 fl, 586 students
--------------------------------------
Total - 57 fl, 2990 students ONLY .

That's with shared rooms. UofA has at least 35K students. We need more of those HIGH QUALITY student (and non-student) buildings. Personally, I'm waiting for a condo at the 40th floor of a building.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
Just working on some primitive arithmetic with our recent student housing above 3 floors.
Level - 14 fl, 586 students
District on 5th - 5 fl, 756 students
Greyhound - 6 fl, 287 students
Railyard - 5 fl, 169 students
The Hub ( ) - 14 fl, 606 students
Park Ave - 13 fl, 586 students
--------------------------------------
Total - 57 fl, 2990 students ONLY .

That's with shared rooms. UofA has at least 35K students. We need more of those HIGH QUALITY student (and non-student) buildings. Personally, I'm waiting for a condo at the 40th floor of a building.
Still, that's 9.6% of all undergrads, and that's not bad.

I assume they're making apartment style housing because they need a selling point over dorms. Universities pack 'em in like sardines, 40-50 sq. ft. per occupant.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 1:25 AM

Grand Canyon University

I've got a few thoughts:

One proposed TREO site is in the city of Tucson. Hopefully the other two aren't in unincorporated lands. (Ideally for downtown it would be at the PCC West campus, but I doubt that is on the table.)

The East Phoenix Valley has landed four private colleges in the past year. I wonder if that market is becoming less attractive to GCU. Particularly because one of those is a Catholic College in the predominantly Catholic EV. I don't know what the breakdown of GCU students is, but I know they offer a hefty tuition discount to Catholics.

Speaking of the new EV colleges, I'm sure TREO watched all this happen 2-3 years ago and started working on their own plan. I bet their pitch has been in the works for a while, and GCU just happened to come along at the right time.

While this would be a good get for Tucson, I've always been disappointed that we concentrate our higher education in the three largest cities. Imagine what a small 5-10k student college could do for Prescott/Verde Valley, Globe or somewhere in Cochise county. There are beautiful places in this state that should attract students looking for a "college town" experience. I bet 5k more students make a bigger impact in Gila County than they would in Phoenix.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
The East Phoenix Valley has landed four private colleges in the past year. I wonder if that market is becoming less attractive to GCU. Particularly because one of those is a Catholic College in the predominantly Catholic EV. I don't know what the breakdown of GCU students is, but I know they offer a hefty tuition discount to Catholics.
GCU is a Christian University (Southern Baptist). They don't offer discounts based on religious affiliation but they do ofter a 53% discount to those enrolled on their physical campus. They claim not to be overtly religious like some Christian institutions, but I don't know anyone affiliated with the university or a student so I can't verify that. I would also argue that the East Valley, particularly Mesa, where the 4 private colleges recently announced new locations is more Mormon than Catholic. At least in terms of influence, Mormonism would hold sway in Mesa and other East Valley cities like Gilbert.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
GCU is a Christian University (Southern Baptist). They don't offer discounts based on religious affiliation but they do ofter a 53% discount to those enrolled on their physical campus. They claim not to be overtly religious like some Christian institutions, but I don't know anyone affiliated with the university or a student so I can't verify that. I would also argue that the East Valley, particularly Mesa, where the 4 private colleges recently announced new locations is more Mormon than Catholic. At least in terms of influence, Mormonism would hold sway in Mesa and other East Valley cities like Gilbert.
A catholic university would thrive in Tucson. I don't really know where we'd put it but I'd hate for it to be in Marana, Vail or any other suburb, it be really nice if it was in Tucson city limits. I don't know what effect it will have on the UofA but otherwise it seems like something we should build.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Significant Education, LLC. purchased GCU in 2004 from whichever subdivision of the Southern Baptists that founded it.

This past Christmas I was reading a newsletter from Seton High School (Chandler, AZ) which described the tuition discounts available through GCU's partnership with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix.

I'm not trying to implying anything other than EV Catholics are part of their "target market"

As for religious populations, I spoke with a geographer around the 2010 census. He taught at a local community college and said he worked with a Maricopa County planning board. Anyway, the take away was that Catholic families were moving east from Phoenix/Tempe/Chandler and replacing the Mormons who have pulled up and moved elsewhere to the point where they (Mormons) are no longer the largest denomination in Mesa.

Not that any of those details are important, I just wanted to point out that one of the 4 new colleges in the vicinity cater to a major religious group GCU targets. Four other colleges offers a lot of competition, regardless of religion.

*five if you count the growing ASU-Poly out in East Mesa.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Particularly because one of those is a Catholic College in the predominantly Catholic EV.
Correction: predominantly Mormon EV.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 4:30 AM

Quote:
At least in terms of influence, Mormonism would hold sway in Mesa and other East Valley cities like Gilbert.
I missed that last line, and I agree, Mormons hold sway in the EV. They've got the political clout, and the old-money. Will GCU be looking at politics or profits? Or more accurately, will they earn more profit from population (tuition) or politics (stock market). It is a whole new world with these type of schools.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 5:59 AM

Quote:
I've got a few thoughts:

One proposed TREO site is in the city of Tucson. Hopefully the other two aren't in unincorporated lands. (Ideally for downtown it would be at the PCC West campus, but I doubt that is on the table.)

Speaking of the new EV colleges, I'm sure TREO watched all this happen 2-3 years ago and started working on their own plan. I bet their pitch has been in the works for a while, and GCU just happened to come along at the right time.

While this would be a good get for Tucson, I've always been disappointed that we concentrate our higher education in the three largest cities. Imagine what a small 5-10k student college could do for Prescott/Verde Valley, Globe or somewhere in Cochise county. There are beautiful places in this state that should attract students looking for a "college town" experience. I bet 5k more students make a bigger impact in Gila County than they would in Phoenix.
What is the 3rd city that you count as the 3 biggest cities? If it's Mesa (which is the 3rd largest city in the state) I personally wouldn't count that as such since it's really just a part of the Phoenix area (like Ft. Worth is part of Dallas or Long Beach is part of LA). I would count Yuma as the 3rd largest city - really metro area - and I would put a new public university there. That area is growing and needs the educational opportunities a public school would provide. And don't forget the 3rd state university is in Flagstaff (NAU).

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
What is the 3rd city that you count as the 3 biggest cities? If it's Mesa (which is the 3rd largest city in the state) I personally wouldn't count that as such since it's really just a part of the Phoenix area (like Ft. Worth is part of Dallas or Long Beach is part of LA). I would count Yuma as the 3rd largest city - really metro area - and I would put a new public university there. That area is growing and needs the educational opportunities a public school would provide. And don't forget the 3rd state university is in Flagstaff (NAU).
I had Flagstaff as the 3rd metro area. Maybe Yuma is bigger. Still, just 3 cities.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
A catholic university would thrive in Tucson. I don't really know where we'd put it but I'd hate for it to be in Marana, Vail or any other suburb, it be really nice if it was in Tucson city limits. I don't know what effect it will have on the UofA but otherwise it seems like something we should build.
I don't see a predominantly suburb like Marana nor Vail hosting a university. First time I've ever heard of this university, GCU . Yuma would probably benefit more than any city in AZ since they are in worse shape , highest unemployment rate in the U.S. (27 percent). But they're looking for either Tucson or East Valley.

I don't think Christian equates with the Mormon religion. So, politically, Tucson might have a good chance as the preferred location for the 75-100 acre GCU campus (about 1/4 of the UA campus, 380 acres). If they ever move in the Old Pueblo, that would be a huge Hallelujah, Praise the Lord event!

Ideally, I'd like it to move in or within walking distance from downtown Tucson. Use the powers of eminent domain if necessary. The UA Tech Park by Rita Ranch/Kolb has a high school located in that campus so that could be another possible location. There's some empty lots at the Kino Pkwy. Or anywhere within the soon to be approved CBD this March, central business district. Tucson would probably refer GCU to locate within a future street car route or a downtown location.

Last edited by farmerk; Feb 24, 2013 at 5:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Still, that's 9.6% of all undergrads, and that's not bad.

I assume they're making apartment style housing because they need a selling point over dorms. Universities pack 'em in like sardines, 40-50 sq. ft. per occupant.
9.6% is good. However, with 50K UA population and with Tucson inviting Traffic Armageddon , building more mid/high rise buildings close to campus is more likely. Not everyone in Tucson is poor and population of Tucson is consistently going up. I don't see Tucson building any freeways ever and it still is a challenge to expand lanes. Downtown links was supposed to be 6 lanes instead of 4 and Broadway between downtown and Country Club might still end up 4 lanes instead of the proposed 6. Tucson should prepare for major excruciating slow traffic in the future.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 5:13 PM

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 9:03 PM

I'm gonna comment on a few of your posts here Farmerk:
1) I hope they don't use eminent domain to get land for Grand Canyon University. First off, it's for a private university, not a public one so I don't know if that would be a conflict. Second, I'm not a fan of eminent domain. I think it's unfair, not very moral and easily abused. I know the 5th Amendment allows it, but I also think it can conflict with the 4th Amendment.

2) I agree with you, that I don't see Tucson ever building any freeways. Unfortunately, for the area already built that prospect has already passed, I think. I could maybe see them being proactive and building something in the southern part of the metro area, maybe connecting I-10 & I-19 in the future (that's going to be where a lot of the future growth, for the city and the metro, will be). There is talk of building another interstate from Tucson to the west-valley area of the Phoenix metro (maybe part of a future I-11 to Vegas) that would possibly stretch to I-19 and then over to I-10 east of Sahuarita and Green Valley (out towards Vail). I do disagree with you when you say that Broadway might not be widened to 6 lanes. Just because Steve K doesn't want it, too bad. The area needs it (that is a bottleneck) and it's part of the voter-approved RTA. To not build it they would have to hold another election to approve it not being built, if I'm not mistaken.

3) I filled out a submission to the ADOT rail study (and I believe I put a link on here and urged others to do the same). I told them I loved the idea of rail to Phoenix, just not the rail they are proposing. I want high-speed rail (HSR) between the 2 metro areas. If I'm not mistaken most of their routes were on rail lines already built, which is going to slow down freight (and Union Pacific has already said they plan on increasing the number of freight trains through the area) and the passenger trains. If they do this, and I hope they do, they need dedicated HSR on dedicated HSR lines.

4) While the thought of a 5 & 1/2 hour commute to Phoenix scares me, I don't know that I believe this will happen, even if we have a 10 lane interstate (and we know that probably won't happen, we still have 2 lanes for long stretches and it's taking forever to widen other stretches to 3 lanes) between Tucson and Phoenix in 2050. I think a lot of that data for population projections came before the economy crashed when they thought Pinal might become the next Riverside/San Bernardino, California (Inland Empire - IE). The growth that was starting all but stopped. Home prices crashed and there are all but no jobs in that area. Gas is rising and it's expensive to drive to Phoenix and/or Tucson to go to work. I think we will see the Sun Corridor Megalopolis some day, but I don't know that Pinal will be as built us as some thought anytime soon. Check out America2050.org for some good info on the Sun Corridor (and all the other megalopolis' around the country). Another good website to check out is transportpolitic.com. There used to be another good site, the Infrastructuralist, but it shut down a year or so ago.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 9:25 PM

Meanwhile at the Level. 02-24-2013

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest