HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Today, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
The article details the improbable success of the owner, Dan Tana, a former Yugoslav soccer star who emigrated to the U.S., dabbled as an actor, mostly on TV, was an employee at Miceli's in Hollywood (also still there!) before opening his own restaurant.
After I wrote this, later on I did a Miceli's Restaurant search and was surprised to find it has not been posted about on NLA though it had been mentioned incidentally in three other posts.
I'll see if I can find a few things about it.

Old Posted Today, 4:37 AM

Screenshot of Schwab's 1949

Although this screenshot is a little bit blurry, it does give us a color shot of Schwab's circa 1949. It's from a Doris Day movie, "My Dream is Yours." I guess that fenced-off space is where Googie's later went in.

But what really caught my eye was the "Glorifried Ham 'n Eggs" sign on the left. It reminded me of the same sign attached to Tom Brenneman's on Vine Street. It was the first time I realized "Glorifried Ham 'n Eggs" was a restaurant chain.

[The Schwab's screenshot is from Philip Mershon whose Felix in Hollywood does a really interesting walking tour of Sunset Blvd]

Old Posted Today, 5:06 AM

Miceli’s was Hollywood’s first pizzeria and is its oldest Italian restaurant, originally established by Carmen and Sylvia Miceli in 1949, along with Tony and Sam Miceli. The decor features carved wooden booths, which Carmen purchased from the original Pig ‘N Whistle restaurant upon closing its doors in the same year of 1949. Miceli's is located at 1646 North Las Palmas Avenue.

All photos below are of the Hollywood location and from the Miceli's Restaurant website, unless noted. The site indicates there was at one time a Miceli's in Beverly Hills and one on Restaurant Row on La Cienega. I'm not sure if those are the same places as some addresses near WIlshire are in Beverly Hills. There's also currently one located in Universal City, which opened around 1980.

http://www.micelisrestaurant.com/photo-gallery.htm

Miceli's under construction

Tony, Sam, & Carmen

The following photos are from 1950 and show Miceli's at night and day.

The bottom two photos are how it currently appears at night, left, as seen in the filming of the second episode of Mob City aired last year, and during the day at right. (Bottom photos/Lindsay Blake/L.A. Magazine)

Tony, Sam, Sylvia, & Carmen

Supposedly, the I Love Lucy writers got the idea for the Lucy episode where she takes over making pizzas in a restaurant from watching the chefs here and that Lucy took lessons there for that episode from one of them.

The restaurant and alley beside it have been used in many films and TV shows including American Dreams, Mob City, Pretty Woman and Knocked Up.

Film Noir - A commenter posted:
For another movie filmed at Miceli’s, look for NIGHTFALL (1957), a film noir starring Brian Keith, Aldo Ray, and Ann Bancroft and directed by Jacques Tourneur. There’s a lengthy scene in the early part of the film that depicts Miceli’s, and some other parts of Hollywood Blvd., such as the nearby newsstand.

At the moment, I don't know if there's been any posts about the still open Boardner's establishment a street over from Miceli's, but there's a story on this link below about it, full of anecdotes about Hollywood Blvd. establishments we've heard of and not heard of before, the characters and celebrities who frequented them and about the owner, Steve Boardner. There's some details about Carmen Miceli included. A good read.

http://www.boardners.com/boardners_story.php

Old Posted Today, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The March 6, 1925 edition of the Covina Argus gives details of the move to Covina.
NB. I rearranged the headline to save width.

newspaperarchive.com

(...)
The California Preparatory School also appears in the 1927 and 1932 CDs, although neither gives the new address. The 1927 CD just says "¾ mile Southeast of Grand Avenue Station on Pacific Electric Railway".

Very interesting. I grew up a mile from the old Cal Prep campus, and was not aware until you posted this article from the Argus that the school existed elsewhere under a different name before coming to Covina.

Here is the newly-built California Preparatory School for Boys campus in 1926, which was located just south of the Pomona Road, today's Covina Hills Road. In 1932, US99 (later I-10) was routed through the San Jose Hills adjacent to the southern boundary of the campus.

Dick Whittington Studio, Huntington Digital Library

In 1942, the property was sold to the Theosophical Society Point Loma, then in 1951, it became the California Baptist Theological Seminary.

More detailed information on the history of the property can be found here.

Old Posted Today, 1:39 PM

Rediscovered speakeasy in the basement of the Rosslyn Hotel annex.
http://www.latimes.com/local/great-r...ry.html#page=1

excerpt

http://www.latimes.com/local/great-r...htbox=81831645

A hand-painted desert scene adorns a side window of the long forgotten Monterey Room.
Patrons could access the speakeasy through a marble-lined tunnel beneath 5th Street.

What a perfect story for Halloween! It sends my imagination soaring.

__

Old Posted Today, 1:55 PM

We've seen plenty of mimetic architecture on NLA, but not many mimetic vehicles. I found this one on eBay last night. The seller doesn't give a date for the picture, but car underneath appears to be an early '70s Honda 600. It was apparently known as a "Bootmobile".

eBay

Vasque Boots is a Minnesota based company, but the sign on the back says Quality Shoes, which is an LA company. Quality Shoes Inc have a store at 11427 Santa Monica Blvd, and still use boot-shaped vehicles. Larger versions of the following pictures can be found on foursquare.com. This black vehicle seems to be getting a little tatty by the time these pictures were taken. It can be seen outside Quality Shoes Inc in the GSV images from 2008 and 2009.

foursquare.com/foursquare.com

I think this red vehicle replaced the black one. The turn signals and rear lights appear to be from a 1960s VW Beetle.

foursquare.com/foursquare.com

Just to prove that it's still in use, here's a GSV image of Quality Shoes Inc which is dated September 2014.

GSV

Old Posted Today, 3:10 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
We've seen the Los Angeles Soap Company before on NLA, but I can't find any mention of Joseph Strobl. I wonder how long the profession of soap taster lasted. The picture dates from 1934.

Images from eBay.
The 1920 Census has Joseph (Josef) Strobl who was born in Germany in January of 1882. In that census he is listed with his wife Cecelia and two young children, Martha, 5 and Leo, almost 4. They lived at 502 E. 62nd Street in Los Angeles. The house, built in 1910 and which was owned outright by Mr Strobl at the time, is still there in a neighborhood which remains largely unchanged. Mr Strobl's occupation is that of soap maker.

He also appears in the 1940 Census, where he is noted as being the forman in the soap company. He then lived with his wife and family at 5021 West Blvd., Venice, CA. This house also appears to be still there.

He came to the US in 1896 and became a naturalized citizen in 1906. His naturalization papers state that he was 5 foot nine inches tall and weighed 140. At the time of his naturalization he was living at 904 E. Jefferson, Los Angeles. This property is now part of a school.

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/20548...b24?src=search

The photo shows Mr Strobl retiring from the L.A. Soap Company. He died in Fallbrook, San Diego County in 1972. A genealogy page states that he came through Ellis Island when he landed in New York.

Last edited by oldstuff; Today at 3:21 PM.

Old Posted Today, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
Kodak Building on Hill Street 1920s vs Now.

Sad.

Always a shame to lose a little gem like that and especially when they haven't made use of the site. Doesn't really make sense. Nice to see the handsome building next door at 635-639 has survived (as the Wholesale Jewelry Exchange) though.

Old Posted Today, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

above: Paramount Building on Hill Street in 1960.
I'm confused about the now leasing sign (for a 35 story building)

More than one Paramount Building on Broadway?

Per source:
Quote:
The facades of the Paramount Building, which houses the Realart Beauty Salon, as well as the College Boot Shops (547 So. Broadway), and Gorton's National Baby and Corset Shop.
Nice tiara.
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics16/00007864.jpg

Old Posted Today, 5:45 PM

Trick or treat?

1933 - The still extant parking lots at or near First Street and Washington Blvd. Mode O Day appears to lurk at the very right and it may be that the building with the roof ballustrades is 109 West Washington Blvd. I believe the 109 West Washington structure is still around with some unappreciated detail work.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/35999/rec/95

1933 - 122 W. Washington Blvd. Ceazan Tires.

West Washington Blvd, featuring Mode O Day http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=3335

Pioneer Fabrics

Wonder if this interesting bespeckeled "H" style building is still around? (I think not.)

Old Posted Today, 5:52 PM

Quote:

An orthopedic shoe car?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos