Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 6:30 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK1985 View Post
What makes you think the glass is "low quality"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
have you even seen it?

because its not.

but that is the first time i have heard anyone throw around low quality anything with this building.

i guess we were due.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHaj View Post
Seriously? Mmmkay.....
low-quality glass is easy to spot. The reflections in high-quality glass are crisp and mirror-like, because it is perfectly flat. Reflections in low-quality glass are wavy, like a fun-house mirror, because it isn't perfectly flat. Once you know how to spot it, you cant unsee it.. perhaps this knowledge is a curse lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Credit: Skyalign

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Last edited by jbermingham123; Nov 28, 2020 at 6:57 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 9:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Oh, stop. The glass is fine. This is a fantastic addition to Brooklyn and the city as a whole.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
Love this tower, but the low-quality glass is a shame. This building deserves so much better
I must have missed the sign that said read "This Building Is Constructed of Sub-standard Glass and Other Components"

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 10:08 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

People trippin'. Everything about this tower is grade A+++.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 2:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Skyalign

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 9:02 PM

Began has its presence in the skyline
The tallest building in brooklyn is the tallest building in the europe its amazing !!!!!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 9:28 PM

^ Only if you exclude Russia. Perhaps you meant tallest in the European Union.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 6:04 AM

Quote:
low-quality glass is easy to spot. The reflections in high-quality glass are crisp and mirror-like, because it is perfectly flat. Reflections in low-quality glass are wavy, like a fun-house mirror, because it isn't perfectly flat. Once you know how to spot it, you cant unsee it.. perhaps this knowledge is a curse lol

You are right that poor quality glass is easy to spot. But you are wrong regarding your ability to identify it. Maybe that’s your curse?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
You are right that poor quality glass is easy to spot. But you are wrong regarding your ability to identify it. Maybe that’s your curse?
Ok, so perhaps high quality glass can warped, but if it were up to me, I'd pick un-warped glass over warped every time. Maybe the top priorities here are durability, energy-efficiency, etc. and not necessarily looks?

As is probably already clear (pun somewhat intended), I dont know much about glass, and I was initially talking out of my ass, so-to-speak. Nevertheless, the glass does appear to be warped in several photos, and im curious about it. What is going on there? is it just not as bad as it looks in those photos?

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Last edited by jbermingham123; Dec 1, 2020 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:45 AM
New Yorker for life

This is certainly not a building where people will be fretting about the glass, I can tell you that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHk71AkFf5_/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHkjTpyM_Hd/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 2, 2020 at 3:59 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Ok, so perhaps high quality glass can warped, but if it were up to me, I'd pick un-warped glass over warped every time. Maybe the top priorities here are durability, energy-efficiency, etc. and not necessarily looks?

As is probably already clear (pun somewhat intended), I dont know much about glass, and I was initially talking out of my ass, so-to-speak. Nevertheless, the glass does appear to be warped in several photos, and im curious about it. What is going on there? is it just not as bad as it looks in those photos?
Warping or oil canning is no tell-tale indication of a high or low quality glazing system especially on a skyscraper. Infact a more expensive higher quality system might have more flex than a lower quality system. For example a more expensive and more efficient 3 pane system usually has thinner individual glass panes and thus will often have more oil-canning effect than a less expensive less efficient 2 pane system that has thicker individual panes. Also in a skyscraper some flex in the glazing is desirable as the glazing system has to adjust to changes in pressure inside and outside the building. Especially in colder climates the pressure inside a building changes a lot over the year. In the summer all the cold air from the AC is trying to rush out of the bottom of the building causing high pressure at the base that is the reason for that gust of wind you feel walking into a tall building. In the winter it's just the opposite all the hot air from the heating is rushing to the top of the building causing high pressure at the top of the building.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Warping or oil canning is no tell-tale indication of a high or low quality glazing system especially on a skyscraper. Infact a more expensive higher quality system might have more flex than a lower quality system. For example a more expensive and more efficient 3 pane system usually has thinner individual glass panes and thus will often have more oil-canning effect than a less expensive less efficient 2 pane system that has thicker individual panes. Also in a skyscraper some flex in the glazing is desirable as the glazing system has to adjust to changes in pressure inside and outside the building. Especially in colder climates the pressure inside a building changes a lot over the year. In the summer all the cold air from the AC is trying to rush out of the bottom of the building causing high pressure at the base that is the reason for that gust of wind you feel walking into a tall building. In the winter it's just the opposite all the hot air from the heating is rushing to the top of the building causing high pressure at the top of the building.
Ok thanks a lot, this makes a lot of sense.. so if im understanding this correctly, at 1WTC (just for example), which has perfectly flat panes (aesthetics were a priority there for obvious reasons), they either had to pay a lot more money, or had to sacrifice some of the building's energy efficiency and/or operational lifetime of the system, etc.. maybe both

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Another name for this curse is the "Dunning-Kreuger effect", and it has gotten me, yet again. *Dons Dunce Hat*

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks a lot, this makes a lot of sense.. so if im understanding this correctly, at 1WTC (just for example), which has perfectly flat panes (aesthetics were a priority there for obvious reasons), they either had to pay a lot more money, or had to sacrifice some of the building's energy efficiency and/or operational lifetime of the system, etc.. maybe both
First I would like to point out that the glazing is not perfectly flat on 1WTC. Zoom in and take a look at the distorted reflection of The Four Seasons in 1WTC here

I think oil-canning is perhaps just less apparent on buildings where the facade is angled to reflect more of the sky cause I've seen people suggest similar things about the Shard in London.

It's not a single trade off there are a lot of different factors that can effect the amount of oil canning you can see in a particular facade. You can make windows smaller to see less oil canning, you might use a different gas fill, you might use thicker glass or glass with a different composition. All of those things come with tradeoffs. A less flexible glass might also be more brittle. Thicker glass might add a lot more weight to the building causing more building sway or various other structural considerations etc.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 6:21 PM
Walk taker

Y'all know that the distance that a photo is taken from a window's reflective surface is going to change how the reflection is captured in the glass, right?

The further the distance between camera + surface, the more natural warping will become apparent in the photograph.

Physics and optics, everyone . The glass is fine.

Examples -

Near:

Far:

Last edited by RobEss; Dec 4, 2020 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 11:32 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This is certainly not a building where people will be fretting about the glass, I can tell you that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHk71AkFf5_/

You know this photo sort of confirms it for me, and idk if it's been said here, but this tower may end up appearing to terminate the corridor of Flatbush seen here between Grand Army Plaza and downtown. I just peeked at Google Earth, and it looks like Flatbush does indeed shift a little in direction towards true north a few blocks south, at Fulton, which would place this tower in quite a nice alignment. This building will be a treat that keeps on treating my friends.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 12:32 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

It will very well have its angles. That angle that will be photographed millions of times. I expect the Flatbush Ave angle to impress.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 1:38 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
You know this photo sort of confirms it for me, and idk if it's been said here, but this tower may end up appearing to terminate the corridor of Flatbush seen here between Grand Army Plaza and downtown. I just peeked at Google Earth, and it looks like Flatbush does indeed shift a little in direction towards true north a few blocks south, at Fulton, which would place this tower in quite a nice alignment. This building will be a treat that keeps on treating my friends.
It will be a building that everyone in Brooklyn is familiar with, even if just by sight.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 2:14 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 11:37 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: JDS

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 12:07 AM
Show me the blueprints

Hot Damn

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture