Swissmetro Forum : http://www.swissmetro.ch/phpBB

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 12:53 PM
Honored Member

Nice video on the LGV Est: http://www.pleinsfeuxsurlalgv.com

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 2:11 PM

From the link that Grumpy posted :

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 5:54 PM

From the newspaper Hamburger Abendblatt:

Beginning June 10, 320km/hr trains will begin running from Frankfurt and Stuttgart to Paris. This will cut times from six to four hours. The Frankfurt line will be ICE. The Stuttgart line will be TGV.

http://www.abendblatt.de/daten/2007/03/07/701736.html

Die Bahn drückt aufs Tempo: Mit 320 km/h nach Paris

Mit bis zu Tempo 320 fährt die Deutsche Bahn vom 10. Juni an nach Paris. Fahrgäste kommen dann von Frankfurt und Stuttgart in rund vier Stunden in die französische Hauptstadt. Das sind gut zwei Stunden weniger als bisher. Die Bahngesellschaften beider Länder wollen bei der Reisezeit von Innenstadt zu Innenstadt das Flugzeug unterbieten. "Wir schlagen die Airlines auch beim Preis", sagte Bahnsprecher Gunnar Meyer. Die einfache Strecke Frankfurt-Paris wird künftig in der 2. Klasse 99 Euro kosten (bisher 86,80 Euro), Stuttgart-Paris 95 Euro (bisher 86,20 Euro). Zur Einführung gibt es für eine begrenzte Zahl an Plätzen vom 10. Juni bis 31. August ein Sonderangebot. Tickets für 29 Euro sind vom 10. April an im Internet und an Automaten zu haben. Auf der neuen Trasse wird der deutsche ICE erstmals im Reiseverkehr 320 km/h erreichen. Von und nach Stuttgart fährt der französische TGV.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 9:50 PM
YIMBY co-founder

So there'll be ICE(3, I'm guessing) going to Paris? sweet.

Now if only we got some real HSR in Scandinavia. As I see it the most likely lines are Oslo-Köbenhavn and Stockholm-Göteborg (with both lines meeting in Göteborg). The Stockholm-Göteborg line is actually under consideration for future building, a recent study said improvements/new tracks should be built to allow an eventual speed of 300+km/h. This is looooongterm planning, but still a glimmer of hope
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 7:37 AM

Sounds great. I wonder how much my Bahncard 50% will knock that price down. Just checked db.de and it looks as though they are only planning two services a day at the high speed. Plenty of slower trains, but who wants them when you can get a faster non-change service. I guess people will have to book ages in advance.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
So there'll be ICE(3, I'm guessing) going to Paris? sweet.

Now if only we got some real HSR in Scandinavia. As I see it the most likely lines are Oslo-Köbenhavn and Stockholm-Göteborg (with both lines meeting in Göteborg). The Stockholm-Göteborg line is actually under consideration for future building, a recent study said improvements/new tracks should be built to allow an eventual speed of 300+km/h. This is looooongterm planning, but still a glimmer of hope
They should divert a few ICE-3's to London:
- Eurostar
- Shinkansen
- ICE
- Pendolino

Full house!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 12:40 AM
TL;DR

Actually, I think I qualify for German citizenship. (is the fatherland rule still in effect?) I'm 75% German in heritage.

Man, are we missing out over here. I take solace in knowing that if any major HSR gets built here, it's Chicago that will be the center of it all, with its 4 downtown rail terminals and a possible 5th.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_taylor View Post
They should divert a few ICE-3's to London:
- Eurostar
- Shinkansen
- ICE
- Pendolino

Full house!
From later this year (I think) you will be able to travel between London and Frankfurt at 4hr40minutes. This works out slightly faster door to door than flying (unless using London City) and I'll try it as soon as it's available. Unfortunately, it's not a direct journey as there are a few changes to make along the route.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 1:35 PM
Honored Member

In the latest issue of 'La Vie du Rail" there is a huge article of the Deutsche Bahn.
They want to see trains riding from German cities to the south of France with their ICE's.

The image above is weird: Basel & Zurich are 1h30 away of each other ??

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 3:41 PM

It's now HIGHLY UNLIKELY that the UK's domestic rail network will become high speed (similar to those of France and Japan).
A number of reasons for this:
1. The West Coast Main Line (the second busiest rail line in the world) has just completed a £10 billion upgrade to be able to run Virgin's new Pendolino tilting trains at 125mph.
2. The East Coast Main Line is going to be re-franchised by the government over the next year or so after GNER's collapse. These signal an intention that the ECML and WCML will remain the primary rail links in the UK for some time to come.
3. Another point, and perhaps the most important point, is the dense fabric of the UK. We are a small country, with a large population. This means that large urban areas are very close to each other, at which all passenger trains stop. High speed trains could not get up to top speeds and remain there for long enough to give them any advantage over our current trains which run at 100-125mph in normal conditions.
Also, because of the age of the ECML and WCML routes, all of our stations are in the middle of the towns and cities, and building new lines would cause unimaginable disruption to the whole transport infrastructure for many years, probably decades.
The benefits over the current system just don't justify the need for a TGV type network in the UK.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but the whole UK high speed rail thing just won't happen - that's why the government is spending so much on getting the existing infrastructure as efficient as possible, and I can agree 100% why.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 5:10 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

I don't think that The West Coast Main Line is the second busiest rail line in the world.
As I know all world the busiest line in Japon or India
Tokaido line (East section only) 3.7 million passengers per day
Yamanote line 3.5 million passengers per day
Utsunomiya line 3.2 million passengers per day
Chuo line (East section only) 3.1 million passengers per day

As I know, only 4 million passengers per day in rail in the whole U.K (Subways and ligh rails exclude)

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 11:24 PM

With 2000 trains a day along just 400 miles of track, and carrying nearly half of all the UK's rail freight, the WCML is the second busiest railway line in the world. It is, I agree not even close to being the second busiest for passengers carried, but factor in all train movements, and it becomes very, very densely packed.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 12:03 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

O.K sorry
I have forgotten that the U.K is good in train movements
The busiest station in train movements in the world Clapham juction.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one very bored guy View Post
From later this year (I think) you will be able to travel between London and Frankfurt at 4hr40minutes. This works out slightly faster door to door than flying (unless using London City) and I'll try it as soon as it's available. Unfortunately, it's not a direct journey as there are a few changes to make along the route.
Yeah, I remember that map, but it would be interesting to see ICE trains using the CTRL. If Shinkansens can, ICE can!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 11:12 AM

The future terminus of Eurostar: London St Pancras

And in addition, the first European Shinkansens are nearing completion in Japan. The first batch will arrive for testing in the Summer. The train profiles:

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 7:54 PM

France inaugurates high-speed rail link to Germany, Switzerland

The Associated Press
Thursday, March 15, 2007

PARIS: French officials inaugurated a new high-speed train link Thursday which will cut travel time between Paris and more than a dozen cities in Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland and northeast France.

President Jacques Chirac, hosting a lunch with contractors and other partners in the project, hailed a "major industrial success" with the new line for France's celebrated TGV high-speed trains.

Thursday's ceremony signaled an end to work on the line, though engineers will continue tests until June 10, when commercial services are expected to begin.

The 300-kilometer (186-mile) line will nearly halve the railway travel time between Paris and Strasbourg near the German border, to 2 hours 20 minutes, from 3 hours 50 minutes, railway officials said.

The line also will cut travel times between Paris and Luxembourg, the Swiss cities of Basel and Zurich, as well as Munich and Frankfurt in Germany.

"With this new line, France shows it is, and wants to, remain the world's top country for high speed rail," Chirac said.

The five-year project cost €3.13 billion (US$4.12 billion), funded by 22 partners that included the French and Luxembourg governments, the European Union, as well as train operators and French regions.

Trains on the line are expected to travel at speeds of up to 320 kilometers per hour (199 miles per hour), compared to a maximum of 300 kph (186 mph) for current TGV trains.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
France inaugurates high-speed rail link to Germany, Switzerland

The Associated Press
Thursday, March 15, 2007

PARIS: French officials inaugurated a new high-speed train link Thursday which will cut travel time between Paris and more than a dozen cities in Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland and northeast France.

President Jacques Chirac, hosting a lunch with contractors and other partners in the project, hailed a "major industrial success" with the new line for France's celebrated TGV high-speed trains.

Thursday's ceremony signaled an end to work on the line, though engineers will continue tests until June 10, when commercial services are expected to begin.

The 300-kilometer (186-mile) line will nearly halve the railway travel time between Paris and Strasbourg near the German border, to 2 hours 20 minutes, from 3 hours 50 minutes, railway officials said.

The line also will cut travel times between Paris and Luxembourg, the Swiss cities of Basel and Zurich, as well as Munich and Frankfurt in Germany.

"With this new line, France shows it is, and wants to, remain the world's top country for high speed rail," Chirac said.

The five-year project cost €3.13 billion (US$4.12 billion), funded by 22 partners that included the French and Luxembourg governments, the European Union, as well as train operators and French regions.

Trains on the line are expected to travel at speeds of up to 320 kilometers per hour (199 miles per hour), compared to a maximum of 300 kph (186 mph) for current TGV trains.

Thanks for the update Fabb. I wonder when db.de will update their website, as I checked the best runs between Frankfurt and Strasbourg (and Paris) a few months from now, and although it included the TGV connection to Strasbourg, it still required a change at Karlsruhe. In fact, it takes 2hr 06min just to get to Strasbourg from Frankfurt, nearly as long in time as the Paris to Strasbourg despite being much closer (I can drive faster than that).

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 9:12 AM

SPAIN : a new link between Córdoba and Málaga

AVE high speed train link to Málaga ready in the Autumn
By h.b.
Mar 26, 2007 - 8:25:30 AM

AVE high speed trains in Atocha station in Madrid - Archive Photo EFE

A new tunnel will take the trains into the new RENFE station in the centre of Málaga

The AVE high speed train link between Córdoba and Málaga is now 95% complete and will be ready by the autumn.

Construction on the line started in 2001 and now 19 of the 22 sections have been completed.

Work continues on the tunnel which will take the new service into the centre of the new RENFE station in Málaga city centre. Work on platforms there is now underway.

The new link has cost 2.1 billion € and that amount does not include the cost of the trains.

The line will have a top commercial speed of 300 km/ hour.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation