HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 11:41 PM

Wow! That look great stat... I mean Jeddy! Jk, I can't give statbass credit for this. I imagine this took alot of time, thought, and effort to accomplish!

I agree with Newfoundlander, you should submit your ideas to Metrobus or Happy City. You could definitely use this in your campaign too! So is it official? Are you running for council??

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Wow! That look great stat... I mean Jeddy! Jk, I can't give statbass credit for this. I imagine this took alot of time, thought, and effort to accomplish!

I agree with Newfoundlander, you should submit your ideas to Metrobus or Happy City. You could definitely use this in your campaign too! So is it official? Are you running for council??
I'll let u know later in the year but i'm strongly leaning towards it

guys have a look at the system and tell me what you think of the idea of it? do you think it would work? what could be tweaked?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 12:18 AM

It's.....beautiful. A lot of work and thought went in to this, and it realistically is efficient. If this could be paired with express bus lanes between each express route it'd be quicker to use than driving, which is a major reason why many people don't use public transit. As well, an added bonus here is that such a system could potentially be implemented with the current fleet of buses that the city has, no need to get more to make it work!

Excellent job!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 12:32 AM

Thanks guys, I actually was looking into being a part of the transportation comission but I got really busy at work and didnt remember to look into it further. it's chosen for two years

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I'll let u know later in the year but i'm strongly leaning towards it

guys have a look at the system and tell me what you think of the idea of it? do you think it would work? what could be tweaked?
Well that means your going to have to tell us soon, there's only two weeks left in this year!

I think the system looks great. I can't say I have much/any expertise in this area, so I can't offer much in terms of suggestions. But the system you have designed certainly seems logical and seems like it would work very well! Presenting it to Metrobus might get you better suggestions than we could give

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 6:28 PM

Hey,

I was wondering if there has been any progress on the cycling front. Have they paved any new bike lanes? Or created any mixed use trails? Any pictures out there of them?

I know there was some folks upset about losing on-street parking, whatever happened with all that?

Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUrbanLife View Post
Hey,

I was wondering if there has been any progress on the cycling front. Have they paved any new bike lanes? Or created any mixed use trails? Any pictures out there of them?

I know there was some folks upset about losing on-street parking, whatever happened with all that?

Thanks.
here's all the info about all that

http://www.bikestjohns.ca/

here's the link to the bike map

http://www.bikestjohns.ca/maps/

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 1:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

December 28, 2012

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 10:27 PM

this is so stupid .. why are they dancing around the solution and spending all this money on nothing ..

MP Calls for Reduced Speed Limits

Quote:
MP Ryan Cleary says he believes the Trans Canada Highway should have a reduced speed limit at night to try to prevent moose-vehicle collisions. Cleary famously struck a moose in Terra Nova National Park earlier this fall, during his commute between Gander and St. John's to avoid crossing the picket line at St. John's International Airport.

Cleary says 100 km/hr is far too fast for drivers after dark. He thinks the posted speed limit should be reduced to 80km/hr after dark, and drivers need to slow down even further if the conditions are poor. He also believes people should avoid driving at night. He says he won't drive at night on the highway any more unless it's a life or death situation.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...29483&latest=1

we are not the only place in the world with moose lol ... fence the highways .. at least in the high traffic areas .. along with lights .. and voila ..

Sweden has pretty much all of it's highways fenced and it's amazing .. NO reason why we can't do a better job at this .. and make nature overpasses in select areas where the topography would make it convenient

ex: in germany

our geography would be great for this .. like come on people think outside the box

edit: Moose are not native to here .. noted .. where did they come from? New Brunswick... What do they do in New Brunswick? : they fence the F&*$ING HIGHWAYS!!!

why do they insist on reinventing the wheel so much here? lol if the mainland doesnt have the answer developed then look to europe .. if they dont then think more about unique solution jeez

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 11:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We always think too small.

That's why so many of our buildings look like 40 smaller ones pushed together, because we always unestimate how much we need. Avalon Mall, HSC, etc. They're already building additions to things on Torbay Road...

Come on, guys... think ahead a little bit.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 12:55 AM

Those natural overpasses are pretty cool looking.... and work like a charm, I bet! I believe the province of New Brunswick has fencing on their Highways (NB has a great highway system overall IMO). These fences are are very effective. If only we spent our money wisely instead of spending it that ridiculous moose detection system - that thing is down more than it's up!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 2:17 AM

Moose fencing has been constructed from Barachois Park to Gallants on the TCH, just outside of Stephenville. I can tell you right now, it works. But it's cumbersome and is beyond ugly. Every view from the highway, and we have some nice ones since the highway is basically darting in and out of hills and mountains, is obscured at least in part by the fence. I hate the damn thing to be honest, and I commuted on that road daily for about 6 months.

Sometimes, a moose gets stuck between the fences and can't find the gate to get back through to the other side. What results is a wandering moose that becomes a hazard several times rather than just once. So, there are definitely positives and negatives to fencing.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 12:46 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

May the St. John's Port Authority can propose a more attractive TCH fence.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 2:13 PM

Here are some photos I took yesterday of the Pennywell Road interchange of the new Route 3 extention:

Sorry, I apparently suck at uploading photos. Was hoping they would be a size that you could see them without having to open in a new window.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 4:47 PM

Quote:

This will be a big year for Metrobus, as they move into a brand new green depot on Kenmount Road. The $34-million building was cost-shared between the city and the provincial government. Over the next number of years, Metrobus will accumulate a new fleet of 18 buses.

Transportation Chairperson and Councillor Tom Hann says the city will continue to upgrade the public transit system in hopes of increasing their ridership. Hann says getting people to use the service is harder than you may think. Hann says there is always talk of having drop off sites on each end of the city. But Hann says, there will still be a lot of traffic congestion.

Metrobus has seen a 10 per cent ridership increase over the past year. Hann says other big cities have some advantages over St. John's. One of the things that other city's do is use express lanes to get into the downtown core faster. Hann says it's something St. John's does not have and he says he does not foresee it coming.
bahhhh but why not!? ... ok I need to get in there!

He's thinking just have some express routes from park and rides to DT from the outskirts of the city .. that would NOT solve the problem just add busses to an already not working system.. the layout needs to change

He says that they have advantages of express lanes for buses .. hwy can't that be something we look into? .. ok I guess with the current route system it might not make much sense .. I need to have a conversation with this fella

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 4:49 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Awesome shots, J Murphy! I can't wait for it to be finished and drive it a few times!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 2:06 AM

My father works in Calgary and the surrounding areas of Alberta including some of the national parks where they have natural overpasses for deer, moose, bears, etc. to cross the roads/rails. Surprise surprise it works. Though it does take a short while for the animals to learn how to cross via the overpasses.

I've seen the moose fencing work on the west coast, but eventually the moose will have to cross the road. The overpass takes care of this problem

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 11:24 PM

Not sure where to post this, but here's a zoomable census dot map for North America. You can really zoom in the N E Avalon.

http://bmander.com/dotmap/index.html

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
Not sure where to post this, but here's a zoomable census dot map for North America. You can really zoom in the N E Avalon.

http://bmander.com/dotmap/index.html
thats really cool!!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 3:34 PM

we need to learn from systems like this!

http://www.rapibus.sto.ca/index.php?id=6

it's like they took my idea out of my head hahaha or at least the principles of it!

Quote:
Two steps to learning how the new transfer system will work

1) The Rapibus system is designed so that riders take a bus from their neighbourhood to one of the Rapibus stations.

2) At the station, they board another bus heading to their destination. Once they are on the bus, if they are heading to one of the downtown areas they stay on until they arrive at their destination. Like subway systems, only one transfer is needed – from the neighbourhood bus to the Rapibus – to get downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's