HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 12:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Nav Canada has announced that it will be hiring 100 additional air traffic controllers in Moncton over the next 5 years.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/a...-moncton.shtml

Excellent!

All high paying jobs too........

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 5:10 PM

Moncton aims to build new $41M police station
Quote:
Moncton city council has approved in principle its 2016 capital works budget that lays out plans for a new $41-million police station to be built in 2019.
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tel...168/?nopromo=1

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 5:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So that's the year following completion of the events centre. Good timing for the trades industries in the city.

If I was to guess, they will build the new police station on the NW corner of Assumption and Downing Street. They will want to build it downtown and that location would be convenient to both the court house and to city hall. It would also serve as a major anchor for the Downing Street reconstruction (although I certainly hope that the remainder of Downing Street is left for retail and residential buildings).

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 2:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a good resource to while away your time with - http://censusmapper.ca

It allows you to create all sorts of different maps using census data from Statistics Canada.

Here is my first offering using this site:

Density of Trick-or-Treat Aged Children in the Greater Moncton Area

Happy Hallowe'en everyone.......

PS - I live in one of the highest density neighbourhoods according to this map, and I can attest to the veracity of the data. I currently have 450 treats waiting in my dining room for the onslaught this evening.......

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 2:41 PM

I've heard that BMM is looking seriously at 2 sites for their campus in the metro area. One is on Harrisville blvd and the other on Aviation Ave. There is also a third potential site on the southern extension of Dieppe blvd but that appears to be the least favored due to it being mainly residential and in close proximity to the site of the future new middle school.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 3:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I've heard that BMM is looking seriously at 2 sites for their campus in the metro area. One is on Harrisville blvd and the other on Aviation Ave. There is also a third potential site on the southern extension of Dieppe blvd but that appears to be the least favored due to it being mainly residential and in close proximity to the site of the future new middle school.
In some ways I find that disappointing. I would think the Emmerson Park area would be ideal, especially given the fact it was developed as a "business park"........

Aviation Avenue would be understandable, but Harrisville Blvd was supposed to be groomed as a retail area wasn't it?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
In some ways I find that disappointing. I would think the Emmerson Park area would be ideal, especially given the fact it was developed as a "business park"........

Aviation Avenue would be understandable, but Harrisville Blvd was supposed to be groomed as a retail area wasn't it?
I also think Emmerson would have been a better site. However, between the two, I prefer Aviation Ave. Harrisville is ideally located to become a major commercial strip at some point in the future.

In similar news, it was previously mentioned that NBCC/CCNB already have new programs tailored to BMM's requirements for their future workforce in the area and apparently they are now in talks with 2 other IT companies for similar educational program development that are looking to set up facilities in the area. I've heard of another potential 600+ jobs over the next 5 years. Still rumors for now but this sector looks to be a major up-and-coming employer in the region.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 4:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good to hear.

Moncton has already developed as a hub for the gaming industry. There is considerable overlap between gaming and IT (both are heavily intensive with computer skill and programming). If what you are saying is true, Moncton is positioning itself well for the future......

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 12:16 AM

Botsford Roundabout

It makes no sense to do a roundabout here unless they expand the current one for Champlain and East Main and Lewisville Rd.
The fire station's construction needed so much roadwork done that any cost savings on the land likely was lost on the grade changes. Plus the station was designed as a drive-through station so apparatus movement would be safer. I have seen the congestion the firefighters face trying to get in or out of the station and then to go add the "confusion" of a traffic circle for drivers trying make way. I dunno but sounds like a poor poor idea. So was the new stop sign down by St.Hubert's.
If a roundabout was built by intersection of tch off ramp, Hampton Inn and Mapleton road that might be OK. Traffic there is getting nuts with a lot of impatient and unattentive drivers.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleton_Roadie View Post
So was the new stop sign down by St.Hubert's.
I know!

99.99% of drivers that I've seen so far are rolling right through it as well!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
I know!

99.99% of drivers that I've seen so far are rolling right through it as well!
The worst thing about that area is that people don't use the double turning lanes from Mapleton southbound on to Carson. Line-ups routinely reach the overpass but it could be avoided if people just used the other lane.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 5:26 PM

Quote:
The worst thing about that area is that people don't use the double turning lanes from Mapleton southbound on to Carson. Line-ups routinely reach the overpass but it could be avoided if people just used the other lane.
Absolutely. I save about 2 or 3 lights every time with the Carson Ghost Lane (CGL).

The problem with that second lane though is that it ends inexplicably after just a couple hundred metres, if that. Pretty much the only reason you're turning onto Carson is to turn left into the shopping area or onto Wheeler and it all happens very quickly. Drivers here just don't know how to merge properly so I think they can't be bothered to use it. It's also a bit dangerous. You have cars stopping for a quick left into Montana's/HomeDepot and other cars racing around the outside to try and get in, plus other morons racing to not let them in, all in a short distance. Seems like it could be alleviated if they just extended the second lane all the way to the stop sign.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 5:29 PM

Quote:
I think the problem with the two turn lanes is that the left lane should have been dedicated to turning into the Home Depot area and the right lane for Wheeler and the dead end. Instead, they put the left lane as both Wheeler and Home Depot and the right lane as dead end. People in this town don't like to let people change lanes and will tailgate so you can't. If you get stuck in the right lane trying to get to Wheeler, you will have a hard time.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 3:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Stats for the customer contact industry in Moncton. From the T&T today:

Contact centres - 44
Employees - 18,000
Economic impact - $380M

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Stats for the customer contact industry in Moncton. From the T&T today:

Contact centres - 44
Employees - 18,000
Economic impact - $380M
That's about 400 per center.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 2:00 PM

Renaissance Petitcodiac
http://www.renaissancepetitcodiac.ca/

AN AMBITIOUS STRATEGY TO ACCOMPLISH, BY 2025,
SEVEN MAJOR PRIORITIES FOR THE PETITCODIAC RIVER VALLEY.

MISSION

The Mission of the Renaissance Commission is to assist affected communities along the Petitcodiac River valley to rebuild their public river access infrastructure, renew with their Bay of Fundy maritime heritage and achieve maximum economic and social spinoffs from the River Restoration Project. The Commission will accomplish these objectives by working in close collaboration with community stakeholders and governments to achieve or facilitate the implementation of the seven Renaissance Plan priorities. Its work is expected to be completed by 2025.

SEVEN PRIORITIES

The Renaissance Plan (2015) calls on the Renaissance Commission to accomplish, by 2025, the following seven major priorities:

1. A local Economic and Social Benefit Optimization Strategy for the $50 million Partial Bridge and $80 million Secondary Treatment projects
2. A regional River Access and Navigation Strategy
3. A regional Tidal Bore and Fundy Tide Interpretation Strategy
4. A regional Maritime Landmark Development Strategy
5. A regional Riverfront Trail Strategy
6. A Riverfront District Planning Strategy
7. A Heritage River Development Strategy

Priority 6 is the most exciting in my opinion:

Objective: To design and promote a Riverfront District planning strategy for the communities lining the Petitcodiac River valley.

The successful restoration of the Petitcodiac has sparked a renewed interest amongst residents of the region to live, work and spend quality time in closer proximity to the river. Over the past 50 years, riverfront planning has however largely been ignored, improvised or sporadically implemented, leaving a patchwork of retail, office, public space and residential zones often lacking cohesion and connectivity. Many riverfront property owners and developers have in the past, nevertheless, expressed the desire to see riverfront district planning strategies developed for the region, an objective to which the Commission will attend to.

A Riverfront District Planning Strategy will deliver the following results:

identify key riverfront districts suitable for riverfront living and implement solutions to promote their cohesive development, in close collaboration with waterfront property developers and owners, planning agencies and municipalities;
create new opportunities for waterfront retail, tourism development and residential living.

My comments: The bolded section (my emphasis) is 100% correct. Our riverfront is completely underutilized or misused to the point of being sad. It's disjointed and bleak.

Completing these goals by 2025 may be realistic elsewhere, but this city and province are notoriously slow in getting things done, so this timeline is pretty ambitious. If only we had politicians with the will and vision to push our communities to change, Moncton could be completely different in less than a generation; the new events centre is a single piece of the puzzle which, in my opinion, will fail to redraw anything unless we line up all the pieces together: investments in riverfront restoration; amalgamation to increase developmental cohesion; and most importantly, property tax reform to incentivize inward growth.

An article from Acadie Nouvelle: http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...e-petitcodiac/

News release: http://www.renaissancepetitcodiac.ca...mber-2015.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 2:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good post Pierre, I pretty much agree with everything you said.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 3:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

from the City of Moncton website:

Open House: Rabbit Brook Trail
November 17, 2015

MONCTON – The City of Moncton would like to invite residents to an open house on Phase 2 of the Rabbit Brook Trail development.

WHEN: Wednesday, November 18, 2015
TIME: 7 – 9 pm

This trail development is part of the City’s overall Active Transportation Plan. The plan for the trail will be available for public viewing and city staff will be available to answer questions relating to location and construction timelines. Plans will also be available on the City of Moncton website.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 3:10 PM

Quote:

Open House: Rabbit Brook Trail
November 17, 2015

MONCTON – The City of Moncton would like to invite residents to an open house on Phase 2 of the Rabbit Brook Trail development.

WHEN: Wednesday, November 18, 2015
TIME: 7 – 9 pm

This trail development is part of the City’s overall Active Transportation Plan. The plan for the trail will be available for public viewing and city staff will be available to answer questions relating to location and construction timelines. Plans will also be available on the City of Moncton website.
Awesome! The more the merrier. I'm an active off road mt-biker during the summer and we do have some great trails around town.

From what I can see on Moncton's Active Transportation Master Plan, looks like there's more to come.
https://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Reside...masterplan.pdf

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Awesome! The more the merrier. I'm an active off road mt-biker during the summer and we do have some great trails around town.

From what I can see on Moncton's Active Transportation Master Plan, looks like there's more to come.
https://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Reside...masterplan.pdf
Looks like they are planning a pedestrian overpass on Ryan Road to cross over the highway!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces