HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
Does anyone have a map of the Atlanta Memorial Trail.

I can find high-level maps but no detailed map of the trail.

You'd think somebody would put a simple trail like that in a google map.
It looks like they are following p.58 (pdf p71) of the Emerald Necklace study pretty closely. Except they ran the path on the West (rather than East) side of Tanyard Creek and had to install 3 rather substantial iron bridges. I walked it the other day and it's really impressive. The wayfarer signs look great and one kind of funny trivia bit with the mile markers: Zero mile on the BeltLine will apparently be where it intersects Dellwood Dr increasing to the southwest where the large trestle marks a bit past the 0.8 mile point.

Highly recommend everybody visit. It's awesome

Emerald Necklace study

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
It looks like they are following p.58 (pdf p71) of the Emerald Necklace study pretty closely. Except they ran the path on the West (rather than East) side of Tanyard Creek and had to install 3 rather substantial iron bridges. I walked it the other day and it's really impressive. The wayfarer signs look great and one kind of funny trivia bit with the mile markers: Zero mile on the BeltLine will apparently be where it intersects Dellwood Dr increasing to the southwest where the large trestle marks a bit past the 0.8 mile point.

Highly recommend everybody visit. It's awesome

Emerald Necklace study
Well, is that where they're putting that new Buckhead high school. Seems like it would make sense to have it on the Beltline?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 4:32 AM

Walked a short portion of the Beltline today from about 85 to the Ansley Mall Kroger. I'm embarassed to say this was my first time walking on it, and it's really interesting to think about the social implications of the project. We walked past the Ansley Golf Course - are they going to want some kind of fence to keep users at bay? There were plenty of SFH backyards backing up to the tracks, lord knows plenty of them balk at the idea of having their former private oases put into public view. And then there were the homeless camps under the Montgomery Ferry bridge and behind the Ansley Kroger (which was pretty extensive). I'm sure most of the organized clean-ups are put on for the express purpose of ridding the Beltline of evidence of the urban campers; seems like human rights groups would be all over this. Anyway, these were my thoughts from just seeing a slice of the overall project - can't wait to see more!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
Walked a short portion of the Beltline today from about 85 to the Ansley Mall Kroger. I'm embarassed to say this was my first time walking on it, and it's really interesting to think about the social implications of the project. We walked past the Ansley Golf Course - are they going to want some kind of fence to keep users at bay? There were plenty of SFH backyards backing up to the tracks, lord knows plenty of them balk at the idea of having their former private oases put into public view. And then there were the homeless camps under the Montgomery Ferry bridge and behind the Ansley Kroger (which was pretty extensive). I'm sure most of the organized clean-ups are put on for the express purpose of ridding the Beltline of evidence of the urban campers; seems like human rights groups would be all over this. Anyway, these were my thoughts from just seeing a slice of the overall project - can't wait to see more!
In the Tanyard Creek section it follows the edge of a few holes of Bobby Jones golf course; what they did there is put up a 10 foot screen to protect beltliners from golf balls -- it looks good. I highly recommend walking from my neighborhood up to City Hall East. Start at DeKalb Ave or Irwin, walk past the improvised skate park, the new 4th Ward park and cross the bridges over Ralph McGill and North Ave. Rathbun Steak's patio bar is gonna really get popular and Parish is positioned well. I was thinking about how Two Urban Licks can take advantage their location: they almost need a drawbridge or something to cross the grade to the BeltLine. Gotta be something they can do.

On your other point: years ago I had friends on the south end of Bonaventure and they called it the "Hobo Highway". I hope most neighbors would prefer a nicely maintained path with a mix of people rather than an overgrown tangle with people camping out.

I've got a backlog of photos to post -- oh well, off to the festivals!

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 10:56 PM
I've been around

After driving around, it looks like a lot of neighborhoods on all sides of the future Westside Park (twice the size of Piedmont park), except the East side, have been acquired (either intentionally or unintentionally) and boarded up by land banks, probably as a result of investors, in anticipation of the park. However, they will need to start moving people in again for them to actually increase in value. Only a few places like Johnson Rd, Perry Homes, Blandtown, Vine City, Hill Park and Knight Park don't look like ghost towns. However, you go on side roads in areas like English Avenue, Bankhead, and West Highlands, and there's lots of empty homes, block after block.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 5:34 PM

If anyone hasn't checked out the trail by Bobby Jones, you really should. It's really well done. I just love seeing all the BeltLine signs. It is, as they say, happening.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 7:34 PM
i ain't no bubba

I love this trail! One end is near the end of my street on 26th (with parking available) and winds through the woods (can barely see any houses), under a railroad trestle (very cool if a train is going over), through a Civil War battlefield (plenty of historical markers to broaden your cultural horizons), under a bridge at Collier Road (I've seen snakes and foxes along this stretch) and then follows Tanyard Creek past the golf course (duck!) to Colonial Homes Drive (and a short walk to Varasanos Pizza at Mezzo). Its amazing to see how dense the woods are this close to the development in Buckhead.

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 9:23 PM

Well, we come in the other day to walk this trail and it is pretty durn nice. Will the high speed rail run through here someday or is it strictly on foot. If my dog became a service dog I wonder if he could take the 140 with me and if so, what line would we transfer to?

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Well, we come in the other day to walk this trail and it is pretty durn nice. Will the high speed rail run through here someday or is it strictly on foot. If my dog became a service dog I wonder if he could take the 140 with me and if so, what line would we transfer to?
Cybele, I'm sure you're aware the Beltline is a 22-mile light-rail transit loop that will connect to MARTA where applicable. I do believe your "SERVICE" dog will be allowed to take the train, you just won't be travelling at 140 mph - more like 35-50 miles per hour.

I hope you and your dog enjoy the ride, if he's around 10-15 years from now...

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFatSnake View Post
Cybele, I'm sure you're aware the Beltline is a 22-mile light-rail transit loop that will connect to MARTA where applicable. I do believe your "SERVICE" dog will be allowed to take the train, you just won't be travelling at 140 mph - more like 35-50 miles per hour.

I hope you and your dog enjoy the ride, if he's around 10-15 years from now...
Well, thanks, my mistake. My dog is getting on up there so probably neither one of us will get to ride on the Beltline if its 10 or 15 years although he would love it. He went down the whole thing and back which is not bad for somebody his age, he just has to rest up here and there.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 4:39 PM
Reliable Source

cybele, are you pulling my leg?

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
cybele, are you pulling my leg?
Well, sir, as to the dog. That old boy is all heart and would walk to the ends of the earth with me and has just about done it. He has jumped in fast rivers, deep lakes, walked in the desert and the jungle, swum in the ocean and climbed up many a high mountain. He has also traveled by ships, airplanes, golf carts, snowmobiles, canoes, semis and just about ever other kind of vehicle you can imagine, although the MARTA doesn't think he's good enough to ride on one of their buses.

As to the Beltline, no, I don't reckon either one of us is going to make it for that but we are still interested in seeing how the dang thing plays out.

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 12:08 AM
I've been around

Quote:
Originally Posted by plorenc View Post
That was me. I based the map off of the Concept 3 plan. Here's an update:

[IMG]
This has Windy Hill and Windy Ridge in the wrong places (see near Cumberland)

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 4:44 AM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Is that map real?

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 3:56 PM
Back on the road again

Very cool map.

What is "A&WP" between East Atlanta and Boulevard, north of Glenwood Park?

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 4:35 PM

^^ Atlanta & West Point Railroad. If you look at an aerial, it's an old abandoned rail corridor between Memorial Dr and Wylie St that starts where Bill Kennedy Way ends. Looking at plorenc's map, I'd assume it's at that intersection of Bill Kennedy Way and Memorial Dr.

Last edited by WestsideATL; May 21, 2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Corrected attribution - Sorry Plorenc!

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 4:37 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideATL View Post
^^ Atlanta & West Point Railroad.
Ah, OK....so sort of Bill Kennedy Way at Memorial...where that closed down Depot Restaurant is....

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideATL View Post
^^ Atlanta & West Point Railroad. If you look at an aerial, it's an old abandoned rail corridor between Memorial Dr and Wylie St that starts where Bill Kennedy Way ends. Looking at netdragon's map, I'd assume it's at that intersection of Bill Kennedy Way and Memorial Dr.
Whoa, whoa, whoa... That's my map. I guess I need to make my name bigger on it.

By the way, TIB recently released a new illustrative map of Concept 3.

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 12:45 AM
Reliable Source

I wonder if that would really get folks out their cars?

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 1:30 AM

The map is interesting and exciting to look at, but am I the only one who feels like some (not all) of these light rail lines need to be commuter rail or heavy rail...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta