HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 12:00 AM

Amazon development, amazing development. This is a once in a lifetime chance for most cities.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 12:40 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Emphasis on the THREE. Three 500 footers are for a city like Seattle, the equivalence to TEN thousand footers at the Dubai Marina. I'd be fine with two 400-500 footers, and one 600-700 footer. In this three tower development, there needs to be a GREAT equalizer, NOT three equal buildings.
Well, since you're not the designer, why don't you leave it to the big kids to figure out how to do something great.

Part of being a real architect is understanding the constraints you are working within, not just saying "I want it because it would be cool!"

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 2:37 PM

Article in the times about this, here's the link, "In Seattle, Amazon Leads an Upswing in Office Space."

Can't wait for renders.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 1:11 AM
Never Dell

Or the renderings for that matter.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Or the renderings for that matter.
I see what you did there.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 5:47 PM

Yay for 3 highrises, but c'mon it sucks to get this much office space and only get a max of 500 feet out of it. If I counted correctly these buildings would tie for the 13th tallest in Seattle, yeah it will add to the skyline but its not going to make much of an impact at all.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...tml?cmpid=2628

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 6:02 PM

The original article is no longer available, but I guess this is the reason Seattle has height restrictions now:

The proposed zoning changes that will be sent to the City Council this week would allow skyscrapers in the city's commercial core to rise to 700 feet -- slightly shorter than the Washington Mutual Tower.

It would wipe out a cap on downtown building heights that residents -- fed up with a slew of office towers -- voted to impose in 1989.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/archiv.../t-211908.html

Unfortunately that is from 2005, a 700-800 footer would look really nice in that area with another smaller tower or two but oh well.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 6:11 PM
them bones

^At this point the skyline impacts are the least important part of the project.

Getting the plan correct is far more paramount. I want a take a little better look at these before I comment...

All images from: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...tml?cmpid=2628

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 11:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Seems these towers are filling a void.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 11:17 PM
BANNED

I love Seattle, but these towers are lame.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 5:13 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
The original article is no longer available, but I guess this is the reason Seattle has height restrictions now:

The proposed zoning changes that will be sent to the City Council this week would allow skyscrapers in the city's commercial core to rise to 700 feet -- slightly shorter than the Washington Mutual Tower.

It would wipe out a cap on downtown building heights that residents -- fed up with a slew of office towers -- voted to impose in 1989.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/archiv.../t-211908.html

Unfortunately that is from 2005, a 700-800 footer would look really nice in that area with another smaller tower or two but oh well.

So wait, is there still a chance that that could happen? I had no idea that Seattle had a height limit...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 5:42 AM
Never Dell

That's very old news. These are in a 500' zone, not in the middle of the core where taller is ok (even there, FAR is very restrictive).

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 7:07 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
That's very old news. These are in a 500' zone, not in the middle of the core where taller is ok (even there, FAR is very restrictive).
Are these even 500 feet tall? They hardly look it

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
So wait, is there still a chance that that could happen? I had no idea that Seattle had a height limit...
I think you'll be pretty hard-pressed to find any US city without a height limit of sorts (it may be FAR-related or something similar). I'm not aware of any decent-sized US city where unlimited height/FAR/whatever is by-right.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 7:30 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
I think you'll be pretty hard-pressed to find any US city without a height limit of sorts (it may be FAR-related or something similar). I'm not aware of any decent-sized US city where unlimited height/FAR/whatever is by-right.
But 300 meter skyscrapers still exist/are proposed in several US cities, so it's obviously possible to still build tall. Height limits need to be abolished as they are not good for development, when cities grow, we want them to grop up not out.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 7:39 PM

Quote:
But 300 meter skyscrapers still exist/are proposed in several US cities, so it's obviously possible to still build tall. Height limits need to be abolished as they are not good for development, when cities grow, we want them to grop up not out.
Um, yes, but those require special approvals. Anybody can propose a mile high skyscraper anywhere, but by-right development is controlled to be some height in basically every city. Special approvals take time/money/etc. Amazon could propose a taller building here, but they've probably concluded that it's not something that they want or need - OR - they've concluded that it would be unlikely to pass muster with the various folks needing to approve it (including citizens of the city at large), so they're not going to try.

I agree with increasing height limits, but simply abolishing them is unlikely to happen any time soon in the vast majority of cities.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 7:55 PM

This is fantastic news for Seattle. Couple Amazon's plan to build a significant amount of downtown office space with the company's already-large downtown office population and you have a major driver of growth and vibrancy. The knock on effect of having a large and growing tech company downtown will reap incredible benefits for Seattle. I am more than a little envious that Seattle has Amazon driving office growth. In Vancouver, the current round of office construction is driven by pension funds and Telus (telco/internet/wireless) which are building new office buildings for law firms and Telus' new downtown HQ. Those are critically important tenants but they won't spin off new companies like Amazon will/does. Well done Seattle! (and what a contrast to Apple building their mothership in the suburbs)

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 7:58 PM
DENNAB

Not really fantastic news, actually downright sad that we won't even get a skyscraper out of that much office space.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:01 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
Um, yes, but those require special approvals. Anybody can propose a mile high skyscraper anywhere, but by-right development is controlled to be some height in basically every city. Special approvals take time/money/etc. Amazon could propose a taller building here, but they've probably concluded that it's not something that they want or need - OR - they've concluded that it would be unlikely to pass muster with the various folks needing to approve it (including citizens of the city at large), so they're not going to try.

I agree with increasing height limits, but simply abolishing them is unlikely to happen any time soon in the vast majority of cities.
I'm aware of that, but I still fail to understand the opposition to tall buildings... people need to get their priorities straight and stop damaging our cities.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:15 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
I'm aware of that, but I still fail to understand the opposition to tall buildings... people need to get their priorities straight and stop damaging our cities.
I understand your pain but having 1,000 footers doesn't necessary make a city great. Dubai has a bunch, but it doesn't make it better than Tokyo. Quantity, like this project, is what Seattle really needs.The gap between the Space Needle and Downtown need to be closed first before supertalls start to be a more common option.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive