HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 12:45 AM

Detroit may very well be a large metro. I have only been to it once and haven't spent significant time there.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
That would imply that there were no cities on earth 250 years ago.

A town should be used to describe a community in the 1000 to 10,000 range.
A town/township could be associated as a suburb exurb or independent rural entity. Probably between 5000 and 50,000 population. Cities begin around 50,000. Most of the numbers being thrown around here are for metros/csa, so a small metro would never be considered a town, obviously. Village/borough would cover from 1000 to 5000. Smaller than 1000 people could be considered a hamlet?

So 100,000-500,000 could be a micropolitan area, borrowed from the census bureau. Anything less than 100k just wouldn’t be large enough to identify a “greater area”. Independent cities can go down to as small as 50k, as I mentioned.

As far as having a “hyper” category for over 30 million, you can look at Tokyo vs NY. The latter has massive density covering about 600 sq mi or so. Tokyo has that level of intensity covering probably double the area. If you traverse throughout Tokyo on the ground while being cognizant of all the territory your covering leaves you mesmerized.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Small Metro- 500k - 1.5m ( Boise, Winnipeg, Buffalo, Raleigh, Ottawa)
Medium Metro- 1.5m - 4m (Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Cleveland, Minneapolis)
Large Metro- 4m-10m (Montreal, Boston, Philly, Toronto, Chicago)
Mega city 10m+ (London, LA,NYC, etc.)
In reality, Raleigh is the largest city in a polycentric medium or midsized metro. The splitting of Raleigh and Durham into their own MSAs is essentially a fluke in light of the current criteria governing how MSAs are delineated due to the way regional land use patterns and road networks (most notably, in and around RTP) affect commuting patterns between Wake and Durham counties. The region still effectively operates as a multinodal MSA with the cities of Raleigh and Durham as well as RTP all being located in both Wake and Durham counties but the criteria isn't established in a way that would account the region's unique set-up.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 3:47 PM

If a metropolitan area is only constituted of low density neighborhoods, you won't get the feeling that you are in a big city. To get a big city feel, normally, if you approach a big metropolitan area from far away, you'll cross very low density suburbs at the begenning, and as you get closer to the core, the suburbs tend to be a lot more dense and there will be mid-rises and high-rises that will be visible from the highway. Then after a while, you enter the main city highway network and the density is very high, the downtown core is now visible but still far away.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
In reality, Raleigh is the largest city in a polycentric medium or midsized metro. The splitting of Raleigh and Durham into their own MSAs is essentially a fluke in light of the current criteria governing how MSAs are delineated due to the way regional land use patterns and road networks (most notably, in and around RTP) affect commuting patterns between Wake and Durham counties. The region still effectively operates as a multinodal MSA with the cities of Raleigh and Durham as well as RTP all being located in both Wake and Durham counties but the criteria isn't established in a way that would account the region's unique set-up.
Oh okay..I was going by a friend went to visit his brother who lived there a few years back..I asked him about it, and he told me Raleigh was just like Ottawa size wise. Before I posted, I checked out this page to make sure, and ran with it..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas

Last edited by Razor; Mar 1, 2020 at 7:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Oh okay..I was going by a friend went to visit his brother who lived there a few years back..I asked him about it, and he told me Raleigh was just like Ottawa size wise. Before I posted, I checked out this page to make sure, and ran with it..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas
Because it is one city in a polycentric metro area, you won't necessarily get the feeling of being in a midsized metro in Raleigh alone. But it is definitely part of a larger, interconnected metro which is truly midsized at 2M+ residents.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions