HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 11:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
On the flip side, there seems to be this idea among liberals that everyone on Earth wants to live there. This girl in one of my classes said "you'll have an impossible task getting people to leave California"...my response..." Ummmm, ask Texans about that."

Californians are leaving the state in high numbers, but they have international growth and natural growth to make up the difference. This isn't some conspiracy theory.
But Coastal California rent is absolutely an impossible task for many. She's 100% right.

People aren't leaving because they feel like it. They're leaving because the cost of living has gotten insane.

Make the average rent in Texas $2600 for 1BD and see how fast the state empties out. It'll make the California exodus look like nothing.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 11:50 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Californians moving to Texas had one foot out the door for a long time. They come here because Texas better fits their world view rather than they want to live here. I suspect Californians who move to WA and OR do the same; these states are (slightly) cheaper and have similar culture and vibe as CA.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
On the flip side, there seems to be this idea among liberals that everyone on Earth wants to live there.
Oh really? Well that's a new one, I've never heard that. I thought everyone on Earth wanted to move to Paris or something.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt angle View Post
But Coastal California rent is absolutely an impossible task for many. She's 100% right.

People aren't leaving because they feel like it. They're leaving because the cost of living has gotten insane.

Make the average rent in Texas $2600 for 1BD and see how fast the state empties out. It'll make the California exodus look like nothing.
And opportunity. Texas probably disproportionately attracts working class Californians. For all the talk about rich people fleeing, I doubt many actually are.

But Texas is pretty ugly compared to California, so I doubt anyone of any economic status is moving for the scenery.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Californians are leaving the state in high numbers
What "high numbers" are you citing here? Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Californians moving to Texas had one foot out the door for a long time. They come here because Texas better fits their world view rather than they want to live here. I suspect Californians who move to WA and OR do the same; these states are (slightly) cheaper and have similar culture and vibe as CA.
Certainly some of it is the ongoing cultural and political 'sorting' that we have seen nationwide in the last couple decades--given the polarization in our age, it would stand to reason that progressive San Franciscans might, if they choose to move out, pick to settle in Seattle rather than Dallas. But I think some of it is just straight-up regional. Northern Californians may choose to move to Washington rather than to Texas because they value certain physical things, such as easy proximity to skiing and mountain climbing and/or a temperate oceanic climate, which are generally similar to what they are accustomed to in NorCal.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:24 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post

Certainly some of it is the ongoing cultural and political 'sorting' that we have seen nationwide in the last couple decades--given the polarization in our age, it would stand to reason that progressive San Franciscans might, if they choose to move out, pick to settle in Seattle rather than Dallas. But I think some of it is just straight-up regional. Northern Californians may choose to move to Washington rather than to Texas because they value certain physical things, such as easy proximity to skiing and mountain climbing and/or a temperate oceanic climate, which are generally similar to what they are accustomed to in NorCal.
Never mind the geography or politics. I would settle for fewer homeless and meth head zombies roaming the streets. Speaking of streets; fewer potholes would be nice too.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:31 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
To quote KPIX “In December, a California population estimate showed 135,600 more people left the state than moved in — only the 12th time since 1900 the state has had a net migration loss, and it’s the third-largest ever recorded.”

http://https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal...und-migration/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Never mind the geography or politics. I would settle for fewer homeless and meth head zombies roaming the streets. Speaking of streets; fewer potholes would be nice too.
I'd rather have California's lower crime rates.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:55 AM

Quote:

What is your point?

Cost of living is a HUGE part of life, like besides loved ones, the most important part of life. Sure, it's great you live in beautiful California, but when you are living in a box it sure doesn't seem so great.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:57 AM

Quote:

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...t-of-us-2019-5

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:15 AM

Quote:

This. They don't think Arizona or Texas is better, necessarily.
It's a cost issue.
Yea, all things being even it's a very different story lol.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I'd rather have California's lower crime rates.
Yup.
Even in a bad year lol.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:20 AM

Quote:
What is your point?

Cost of living is a HUGE part of life, like besides loved ones, the most important part of life. Sure, it's great you live in beautiful California, but when you are living in a box it sure doesn't seem so great.
People in NYC don't care about living in a box.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
People in NYC don't care about living in a box.
And, just speaking for myself of course, why would you even need a big nice house, when you're always outside anyway, at least in SoCal?

My partner and I, and many others, like to be outside, because the weather permits it. The pandemic has been really stressful on people because having to stay in and not go out and do stuff whenever you want to can really be a downer. We (meaning my partner and I) have adapted, of course, but this pandemic, and the on-again off-again (so-called ) lockdowns have really been a pisser.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
And, just speaking for myself of course, why would you even need a big nice house, when you're always outside anyway, at least in SoCal?

My partner and I, and many others, like to be outside, because the weather permits it. The pandemic has been really stressful on people because having to stay in and not go out and do stuff whenever you want to can really be a downer. We (meaning my partner and I) have adapted, of course, but this pandemic, and the on-again off-again (so-called ) lockdowns have really been a pisser.

Same. I'm hiking or at the beach in my free.time.
Not everyone does, but plenty do. I'm actually exploring more Malibu beaches now, cause it's closer to hiking trails. My health is probably at an all time high, just hiking often.

Once daylight savings hits , I'm hiking after work .
It's right there.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:07 AM

And it's not like everyone in Texas lives in some big house.
It's either a small, average house or apartment like anywhere else.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:37 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
What is your point?
People move because of the high rent...like myself, and from the article that this thread is about, it clearly shows that more people are moving to Washington than Texas. It's not even that much leaving, and why is it a huge deal if people do leave CA?

Quote:
Ok so...people in CA go outside in the winter and the summer to do stuff, even with COVID. "A box" in LA or SF maybe, but that's expected. New housing, even in the suburbs, is pretty packed in tight.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:43 PM
Never Dell

Urban lifestyles don't require a ton of square footage.

A hundred walkable restaurants are your dining room.

Hotels are your guest bedroom.

Parks are your yard.

Transit and walking are your garage.

The same is true to a lesser extent if you have a small bungalow and the nearest hotel is a mile or two away.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Same. I'm hiking or at the beach in my free.time.
Not everyone does, but plenty do. I'm actually exploring more Malibu beaches now, cause it's closer to hiking trails. My health is probably at an all time high, just hiking often.

Once daylight savings hits , I'm hiking after work .
It's right there.
Totally. We're at the beach and/or hiking quite often. And even apart from that, we're constantly walking in our own neighborhood/town, just to walk, day or night.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I can think of numerous places that probably fit their "world view" as well as Texas but Texas seems to attract them for some other reason.

I do think that there are many who have drunk the "koolaid" about Austin, in particular, being a mini-California-like place only cheaper where they can get a tech job like back in CA but trade in their 2 bedroom post-war bungalow for a McMansion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions