HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 5:20 PM

Fast growing regions in general tend to be less segregated than slow growing places. I recall from a thread on this forum years ago that Las Vegas is the least racially segregated metro and it doesn't have discernible patterns of racial segregation, but like 90% of the city was developed within the past 40 years.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 5:34 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
Not suggesting any relocation, but can you imagine Grand Rapids or Tulsa having both an NFL and NBA team, though? I know the Nola team's, particularly the Saints, have a ton of support from the entire state, and even beyond so it's a different circumstance.
A little weird, but I think they are the de facto teams for that region of the south, drawing from a larger area, which has a lot of good sports history and culture at the collegiate level.

There are stranger situations, at least to me. Green Bay/Milwaukee is strange to me. Jacksonville having NFL has never not been weird to me. Portland not having a pro baseball team is incredibly weird to me.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
A little weird, but I think they are the de facto teams for that region of the south, drawing from a larger area, which has a lot of good sports history and culture at the collegiate level.

There are stranger situations, at least to me. Green Bay/Milwaukee is strange to me. Jacksonville having NFL has never not been weird to me. Portland not having a pro baseball team is incredibly weird to me.
New Orleans got the basketball team because the owner of the Charlotte Hornets moved it there. I don't think they would have gotten a basketball team otherwise. I believe that their football team has a well-established and rabid base, so it is not going anywhere, much like the Green Bay Packers will likely never move.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
I was just looking at the Wikipedia page for US MSA rankings, and was shocked to see New Orleans has dropped to the 58th largest with a population of only 962,165.

I knew it wasn't a huge place, but still thought it was in the 1.3 or 1.4 million range. It's shocking to me to see it ranked lower than places such as Greenville, SC, Omaha, NE, and Tulsa, OK
For some reason, the primary suburban parish (St. Tammany) of the New Orleans metro area was dropped with the latest census definition. That removed ~275,000 people from the metro area. It's all meaningless as the Northshore (as St. Tammany is referred to locally) is very much a part of the New Orleans metro area. Of course, the larger region around New Orleans (within an hour drive) has ~3 million people. They are just counted as being in 6 different metro areas (or 4 CSA's).

Old Posted Today, 10:10 PM

Detroit is suing the US Census Bureau again, this time over the annual estimates.

Quote:
Detroit sues Census Bureau, alleging its housing counts underestimate city's population

Dana Afana
Detroit Free Press
March 28, 2024

The city claims the Census Bureau is underestimating Detroit's population, which it says is 625,561, based on demolitions of abandoned structures and ignoring the restoration of vacant homes and construction of new homes, according to a federal lawsuit filed Tuesday.

As a result, the complaint alleges the agency's methodology is "discriminatory" toward cities like Detroit with large African American and Hispanic populations, because the policy "guarantees that poor and minority communities like Detroit will be undercounted" each year.

Detroit demolished more than 4,000 uninhabitable abandoned homes in 2021 and 2022, which the federal agency calculated as a population loss of 8,000 people. The bureau treats the demolition of vacant and uninhabitable structures, a years-long initiative to eliminate the city's blight, as lost housing units. For each demolished building, the agency subtracts about two residents from its population estimate, according to the lawsuit.

Detroit demolished more than 4,000 uninhabitable abandoned homes in 2021 and 2022, which the federal agency calculated as a population loss of 8,000 people. The bureau treats the demolition of vacant and uninhabitable structures, a years-long initiative to eliminate the city's blight, as lost housing units. For each demolished building, the agency subtracts about two residents from its population estimate, according to the lawsuit.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...n/73128598007/
I'm overall skeptical of claims that Detroit is being systematically undercounted, but I do think the city is pointing out a real flaw in how the USCB creates those estimates. If indeed people are starting to reabsorb abandoned housing then it could be a glaring hole in the estimate methodology. I'm pretty skeptical that this is happening on a wide scale, though. USCB interim census estimates in Detroit tend to be too generous instead of prone to undercounting. Both the 2010 and 2020 census results came in below the annual estimates.

Old Posted Today, 10:28 PM

From NPR:

Next U.S. census will have new boxes for 'Middle Eastern or North African,' 'Latino'

MARCH 28, 2024
8:44 AM ET
HEARD ON ALL THINGS CONSIDERED

On the next U.S. census and future federal government forms, the list of checkboxes for a person's race and ethnicity is officially getting longer.

The Biden administration has approved proposals for a new response option for "Middle Eastern or North African" and a "Hispanic or Latino" box that appears under a reformatted question that asks: "What is your race and/or ethnicity?"

Going forward, participants in federal surveys will be presented with at least seven "race and/or ethnicity" categories, along with instructions that say: "Select all that apply."

After years of research and discussion by federal officials for a complicated review process that goes back to 2014, the decision was announced Thursday in a Federal Register notice, which was made available for public inspection before its official publication.

[...]

The "White" definition has changed, and "Latino" is now a "race and/or ethnicity."

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Today, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
New Orleans got the basketball team because the owner of the Charlotte Hornets moved it there. I don't think they would have gotten a basketball team otherwise. I believe that their football team has a well-established and rabid base, so it is not going anywhere, much like the Green Bay Packers will likely never move.
I'd imagine a very significant portion of attendees at Saints and Pelicans games are tourists. Just like with Vegas, people see games in New Orleans as an opportunity to travel to the city and see their team play there. Or people who are in town and decide to take in a game whether or not they have a connection to the team playing. New Orleans gets ~18 million tourists per year. That's the only reason they have two pro sports teams, I think.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions