HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 9:39 PM
A before E

The numbers are still very good, just not as good as we were originally told. My issue is less to do with ridership numbers and more to do with on time percentages. Originally it was said the streetcar is on time 98% of the time, but turns out to be ontime only 82% of the time. That is a huge difference, and not a good one.

I seriously want to see the streetcar lines to put in turn car turn lane buffers so that the streetcar lines can't be used as car lanes, but can only be used as car turning lanes. It makes no sense having a streetcar sitting in traffic along MLK and Grand and does nothing to help the system with being on time.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 11:59 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I forgot the streetcar even has a schedule. I guess the schedule matters for people who use it at exact times, but everybody I know uses either an app or the LED info at each stop to know when the next one is coming. That's one of the differences between the streetcar and a bus. Busses are about schedules, whereas the streetcar is about catching the next one that comes along. I've been riding the streetcar for 12 years, and never once did I use a schedule.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Busses are about schedules, whereas the streetcar is about catching the next one that comes along.
I honestly don't see the difference. In fact, morning rush hour downtown-bound Frequent Service buses arrive so often you don't need a schedule at all. The streetcar apparently never runs more often than every 14 minutes (not accounting for segments that carry both lines).

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 9:00 PM

Off topic, but a couple more pictures of the wrapped up jasmine block double tracking for those who may not make it over there that often.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 9:05 PM

Totally on topic; thanks for posting. Now we just have to wait for the wait for the bridge to open and then the CL line will be complete.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
Off topic, but a couple more pictures of the wrapped up jasmine block double tracking for those who may not make it over there that often.

Now we just need to develop all of those empty parking lots and the underutilized motel site on the left

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 10:25 PM

Babs - there's an active proposal for one of the parking lots visible in the second picture. The discussion thread is here.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 10:52 PM

Is that where Spunky Monkey usually sits? Or do they go all over. I've missed the little shop on 20th and E Burnside.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 8:41 PM

Posted by @PDXStreetcar on twitter:

Quote:
Coming back from the first trip across the Tilikum Crossing. @trimet

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 11:59 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofiftyfive View Post
I honestly don't see the difference. In fact, morning rush hour downtown-bound Frequent Service buses arrive so often you don't need a schedule at all. The streetcar apparently never runs more often than every 14 minutes (not accounting for segments that carry both lines).

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, I am new to ssp Portland, but with the new extension opening in September how many more streetcars are on order?

How many streetcars does the city currently have in it's fleet?

Are there any plans to increase the headways between trains?

When I visited your city a couple summer's ago I remember waiting a long time for the streetcar to arrive(not like I was in a hurry though). None the less it was a pretty wicked system and made me jealous that Calgary doesn't a streetcar along our active corridors. It's good to see ridership increasing steadily though:

http://www.portlandstreetcar.org/node/28

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
Forgive me if this has been discussed before, I am new to ssp Portland, but with the new extension opening in September how many more streetcars are on order?
They received a new streetcar in November, to enable them to run a full service when Close The Loop opens.

Quote:
How many streetcars does the city currently have in it's fleet?
17, including the new one.

Quote:
Are there any plans to increase the headways between trains?
I don't think so. The peak headways are every 14 minutes on each line, with 7 minute headways where they overlap.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 11:03 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I assume they're going to have two central loops going at the same time, right? One, going north through downtown then south through SE, and one going south through downtown then north through SE. I mean, the central/SE loop isn't like the NW loop. The NW loop goes from downtown to NW then backtracks to downtown. The central/SE line currently does this too, going from downtown to OMSI and then backtracking, but once they finish the loop, there will be no backtracking... so, technically, the central/SE loop is actually going to be two loops, each going in opposite directions. Right?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 12:38 AM
A before E

Quote:
I assume they're going to have two central loops going at the same time, right? One, going north through downtown then south through SE, and one going south through downtown then north through SE. I mean, the central/SE loop isn't like the NW loop. The NW loop goes from downtown to NW then backtracks to downtown. The central/SE line currently does this too, going from downtown to OMSI and then backtracking, but once they finish the loop, there will be no backtracking... so, technically, the central/SE loop is actually going to be two loops, each going in opposite directions. Right?
That is my belief or it would be completely useless on the eastside to have to take a train northbound through downtown to go southbound on the eastside. Right now they are running trains each direction.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 7:33 AM

Quote:
From my understanding, correct. The Central Loop will have half the trains going one way, half going the other. The NS will serve NW 23rd to South Waterfront with one set of trains going back and forth.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 8:54 PM

The most recent Citizens Advisory Committee minutes [PDF] states that the CL will operate as a loop in both directions, which is "a difficult thing to do as there is no logical place to build in extra time and layovers which are used to make up time and get back on schedule". The plan is to have both lines operating at the 15 minute frequency, up from 14 minutes at present. The extra time will enable the CL trains to pick up time along the route. Where the two lines overlap, between the Pearl and the Tilikum Crossing, services will be a 7-1/2 minute frequency.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 12:24 AM

It's nice to hear the times will be split between the two lines downtown. It kills me to see one streetcar a minute behind the next. I'm not sure if it is planned this way currently or if I only seem to notice when it is happening..

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Streetcar project comes in $230,000 under budget: Portland City Hall Roundup

A construction project to fix a streetcar bottleneck near Portland State University came in at least $230,000 under budget, transportation officials said this week.

The savings on the project, originally expected to cost $3.7 million, means more money for the city's general fund.

The so-called Jasmine Block, between Southwest Fourth and Five Avenues and Montgomery and Harrison Street, was the one portion of streetcar line without two tracks, forcing streetcars traveling in opposite directions between the South Waterfront and Northwest Portland to wait.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 7:08 PM

Here's the streetcar service pattern while the President is in town. Interesting preview of what a line from NW 23rd, over the Broadway Bridge and towards the Lloyd could look like.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 6:08 AM

Stay tuned mac, there could be a CL last route of the night that looks something like that come Sept.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 7:50 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
Stay tuned mac, there could be a CL last route of the night that looks something like that come Sept.
For CL trains traveling counter-clockwise, that would make sense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure