HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 6:29 AM

They seriously couldn't at least make the rose red instead of purple?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 9:36 AM

Well, it's certainly a change.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
They seriously couldn't at least make the rose red instead of purple?
That color (mauve?) is a branding color for Moda. It's splashed all over their webpage.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 2:03 AM

http://www.nba.com/blazers/news/trai...r-rose-quarter

ROSE QUARTER POISED FOR MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR MAKEOVER
Capital Improvements Will Touch Numerous Areas of Moda Center, Including Fan Experiences, New Suite Concepts, Premium Seating and Dining; Trail Blazers Training Facility Upgrades to Expand

PORTLAND, Ore. (March 20, 2014) – While the Portland Trail Blazers are battling toward an NBA Playoff berth on the court, the business side of the organization is setting its sights on major venue improvements off the court. Trail Blazers and Moda Center President & CEO Chris McGowan has announced the first phases of nearly $16 million in upgrades and new concepts for the Moda Center and Rose Quarter; combined with more development of the team training facilities in Tualatin. When completed, the multi-year makeovers will represent the most sweeping changes in the Rose Quarter since it first opened in 1995; and the largest single investment by Trail Blazers Owner Paul Allen in capital improvements for the entire organization.

"What we have in mind for the Moda Center and the Rose Quarter is in direct response to what fans and sponsors have said they'd like to see in a multi-purpose sports and entertainment venue," said McGowan. "Our owner Paul Allen has always been supportive of investment in our venues and team facilities. During the upcoming offseason, there will be extensive construction around the Moda Center that will raise the level of what guests can experience on almost any night at the Rose Quarter."

"The initial multi-million dollar upgrades at the team training facility unveiled by General Manager Neil Olshey at the start of this season were the beginning of multiple levels of capital improvements," said Chris Oxley, General Manager of Rose Quarter Operations and the executive overseeing construction projects. "We're now expanding the renovations to include Rose Quarter areas that we believe guests and sponsors will be excited to experience. There are also even more improvements coming to the team training facility in 2015 that will place it among the best in the NBA."

Phase One of the Rose Quarter capital improvements will target refurbishment of 1,800 Club Level Seats inside the Moda Center and the complete renovation of 20 of the arena's 66 private suites. It will take about two years to eventually renovate all Moda Center suites, according to Anthony Jones-DeBerry, Trail Blazers Vice President of Premium Seating. Also among the changes planned for the Suite Level is the construction of never-before-available "Studio Suites," as they will be marketed to potential purchasers.

"Our new approach to Premium Seating will be transformational, but will take time to fully complete," said Jones-DeBerry. "Along with direct feedback from guests, we've also factored in research conducted at other entertainment venues around the country. Our goal is to blend totally new concepts with complete renovations and strategic upgrades to the Moda Center."

"The Studio Suites will offer a unique, more intimate approach to private suite viewing, with seating for four guests and smaller, white linen-covered dining tables," he added. "We will build twelve Studio Suites, and offer food and beverage packages customized for guest capacities that are smaller than our full-size suites."

Two longtime offerings on the Club Level will also change beginning with the 2014-15 season. The all-inclusive Chef's Table that Club Level ticketholders have accessed for many years will be replaced with a multi-option ticket, which includes a $30 credit that guests can use for their preferred method of accessing food, beverages and merchandise in the Moda Center. The prestigious Rose Room will also be upgraded into a private membership-based club catering to guests desiring more business-friendly atmosphere and amenities for a unique dining experience before, during and after games.

"Our arena has lacked a true offering for business-to-business networking and client conversation. The new Rose Room will satisfy that demand with a food and beverage experience only accessible through private membership," said Jones-DeBerry. "For the Club Level, feedback from guests revealed a desire for something different and more flexible than an all-you-can-eat option. We will offer a Club Level ticket that can be designed specifically around how individual guests want to enjoy a Trail Blazers game. It will include access to the new gourmet concessions and popular restaurant brands now operating in the Moda Center; and the ability to purchase merchandise."

Guests seated in the lofty 300 Level of the Moda Center are in for a special treat with the building of a new glass-enclosed bar featuring panoramic views of downtown Portland. The space will be a free-flowing design, which opens toward the 300 Level Concourse for easy access. The addition of the bar truly spreads the arena's upgrades throughout the building, offering something new for every fan.

The list of other Rose Quarter capital improvements also includes:

· Retail kiosks placed on the arena's upper levels for better access to merchandise;

· A plush new suite holders' lounge adjacent to the private suites;

· New, environmentally-friendly landscaping around the Rose Quarter;

· Upgrades to Moda Center Wi-Fi access plus installation of a Distributed Antenna System (DAS) for wireless phones;

· Specialty LED lighting encircling the top of the Moda Center and capable of changing colors in connection with Rose Quarter events;

· Complete redesign of the Trail Blazers basketball court as voted on by fans; and

· Refurbishment of the signature fountain on the south end of the Rose Quarter Commons.

Prior to announcing the capital improvements, the Trail Blazers front office invested in consumer research, analytics and direct conversations with ticketholders that provided useful intelligence for planning purposes. Many recent moves, like the addition of popular Portland restaurant icons to the Moda Center's main level concourse, are linked to feedback from Trail Blazers fans. The just-opened Dr. Jack's restaurant in the Rose Quarter is a further step in the plan to energize the entire complex.

"This process has evolved at a very strategic pace, with specific outcomes driven by our fans," McGowan said. "We began the research more than a year ago to get some early guidance to help shape our thinking. By the time this is finished, we anticipate having an exciting sports and entertainment venue where fans feel they've contributed to its development."

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 2:53 AM

I'm looking forward to more greenery around the Moda Center, if that's what "environmentally friendly landscaping' entails.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 8:21 PM

PDX NBA All-star game bid (2017/18)

I was surprised by some of these numbers. One, that Portland has so few hotel rooms compared to many other cities (granted, comparing us to places like LA/NYC/Orlando/Las Vegas is pointless) -- and that the convention center hotel will barely make a dent in what the NBA wants/needs. But Toronto, a large international city with only 36K rooms?

NBA All-Star Game bid: Portland an underdog when it comes to hotel rooms

But even with a convention center hotel, Portland would still trail other cities in its ability to house attendees.

The league needs a block of about 6,000 rooms, it has told The Oregonian, just to house its teams, media and VIPs. It prefers that they are centrally located and spread across as few hotels as possible.

That's where things get tricky for Portland. It could take 20 of Portland's largest hotels to come up with that package.

And that's before housing the traveling fans. The Portland area has some 26,000 hotel rooms in all, according to data firm Smith Travel Research, far fewer than other metros that have hosted the game.

Rest of story here

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 3:58 AM

Milwaukee is on the verge of breaking ground on this new arena:

Their old arena, Harris Bradley Center, is only seven years older than the Moda Center and is considered a dinosaur. The Moda Center has renovated the interior slowly over the years but the exterior has aged badly. I don't think we'll ever see a new arena bullt but tearing down the exterior to the studs, like Minnesota is doing with the Target Center, should happen.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 5:09 AM

A quick google search leads to me to find that the public is spending $250 million on Milwaukee Bucks arena. I'm glad no one is having a conversation about doing something similar in Portland.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 5:30 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
A quick google search leads to me to find that the public is spending $250 million on Milwaukee Bucks arena. I'm glad no one is having a conversation about doing something similar in Portland.
No kidding, it is a really cool piece of architecture, but I am not sure I would want the taxpayers to foot a bill like that. I know I wouldn't mind seeing something like MLB in Portland, but I would want the expenses to be paid for by the billionaires that own these teams.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 6:36 AM
BANNED

But what about the money these arenas generates for the city? The new property tax revenue, concerts, local events, parking, etc? I think a small and fair public contribution is fair. These sports teams and arena really provide entertainment for the local community for the people that ENJOY these type of things. There's a reason why sports is so prevalent in our society.

Sports represented by cities, provide civic pride which is then recognized globally with a good popular reputation.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
But what about the money these arenas generates for the city? The new property tax revenue, concerts, local events, parking, etc? I think a small and fair public contribution is fair. These sports teams and arena really provide entertainment for the local community for the people that ENJOY these type of things. There's a reason why sports is so prevalent in our society.

Sports represented by cities, provide civic pride which is then recognized globally with a good popular reputation.
I agree there are other benefits from these investments, but there are lots of other ways to generate property tax revenue - street improvements, parks, public art, etc. The Timbers deal required only $12 million in city bonds for the additional renovation and is being paid back on schedule. Not sure what the payback period, if any, is for the $250 million or whatever the incredible costs these other major stadiums require. Anyone know?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
Milwaukee is on the verge of breaking ground on this new arena:

Their old arena, Harris Bradley Center, is only seven years older than the Moda Center and is considered a dinosaur. The Moda Center has renovated the interior slowly over the years but the exterior has aged badly. I don't think we'll ever see a new arena bullt but tearing down the exterior to the studs, like Minnesota is doing with the Target Center, should happen.
There is a couple things you have to look at when these arenas. It's not necessarily the age of the arena but the ability to make money. The Bradley Center was light on suites, club seats and restaurants. This is where the big bucks are made.

The Target Center remodel is heavily being paid for by public dollars. $74 of the $129 million is coming from the taxpayers.

As for the Moda Center. There have been some renovations but mostly just updating the restaurants, suites and club areas. At some point there will need to be either a major renovation or the need for a new facility. My guess is that it will come around the time when the 30 year lease/commitment to Portland expires. That's only 9 years away. Expect the Blazers to step forward with a big plan at that time.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 6:03 PM

I don't think the Moda Center has aged badly. It certainly doesn't look like it was built in 1993 in my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
I agree there are other benefits from these investments, but there are lots of other ways to generate property tax revenue - street improvements, parks, public art, etc. The Timbers deal required only $12 million in city bonds for the additional renovation and is being paid back on schedule. Not sure what the payback period, if any, is for the $250 million or whatever the incredible costs these other major stadiums require. Anyone know?

I wish they could just tack it onto ticket sales.

If 20,000 people paid $12 more per ticket per game (41 per year) over the next 25 years, it would pay for itself. You could also include it in all of the other events that take place at the Moda Center.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 6:30 PM

Quote:

If 20,000 people paid $12 more per ticket per game (41 per year) over the next 25 years, it would pay for itself. You could also include it in all of the other events that take place at the Moda Center.
The existing ticket tax at the Moda Center is paying for the renovations at Providence Park and for the parking garages at the Moda Center. So you already have a ticket tax in place.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Exactly. It's not that hard

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
The existing ticket tax at the Moda Center is paying for the renovations at Providence Park and for the parking garages at the Moda Center. So you already have a ticket tax in place.

Then tax Providence Park back.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post

John Oliver will answer this for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcwJt4bcnXs

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Then tax Providence Park back.
It is being taxed as well but just taking Providence Park didn't raise enough revenue to pay off the bonds.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 4:43 PM

Well this is fucking interesting! If it moves into a project we'll create it's own thread.

No paywall: https://www.wweek.com/news/2022/06/2...-rose-quarter/

Quote:
The Son of a Famed Developer Has Grand Ambitions for a Grain Elevator in the Rose Quarter
Tim Blixseth turned a Montana clear cut into the Yellowstone Club. Beau Blixseth would like to pull off a similar feat in Portland.
By Anthony Effinger
June 29, 2022 at 5:30 am PDT

The most mysterious building in Portland might be the grain elevator just north of the Steel Bridge, a hulking row of concrete cylinders that look like missile silos.

For years, the Louis Dreyfus Co. (actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus is an heir) used the terminal to ship wheat from Eastern Oregon to the world. The grain came down the Columbia River on barges or rail, got piled in the silos, and then loaded onto oceangoing vessels. In 2013, Louis Dreyfus invested $21.5 million to renovate the facility, putting in new equipment to clean grain and move it from barge to silo to ship.

Then, in June 2019, Louis Dreyfus did a strange thing. It sold the whole place for just $164,000 to a California firm called Rabin Worldwide that specializes in auctioning off industrial properties and equipment. Two-bedroom houses in Gresham go for more than that.

Rabin chief financial officer Jakob Grøn declined to say anything about the fire-sale price. Louis Dreyfus didn’t return multiple inquiries sent to its media department.

And then the story got even more interesting. Beau Blixseth, son of Tim Blixseth, Oregon’s most notorious timber baron, bought the 3-acre property for $2.9 million in February 2021.

Blixseth the elder turned a Montana clear cut into the Yellowstone Club, a private ski area near Bozeman that counts Bill Gates and Justin Timberlake as members.

Blixseth the younger, 42, would like to pull off a similar feat in Portland. He thinks Louis Dreyfus made a big mistake by selling, especially now that war in Ukraine is cutting global grain supplies and driving up prices.

Beau Blixseth planned to rent his terminal to a commodities shipper. But he soon discovered a hitch in his dreams—which might explain why Louis Dreyfus sold it for a song.

An exporter expressed interest in the terminal but learned the railroad wouldn’t serve it any longer, Blixseth says. Union Pacific planned to modify a sharp corner near the terminal to prevent derailments, and the change would preclude service, he says.

Union Pacific confirms this: “We have explored all proposals for track configuration to consider service at this site,” railroad spokeswoman Robynn Tysver wrote in an email. “They do not meet Union Pacific’s engineering and safety guidelines. We have concluded that we cannot provide rail service to [the] facility.”

Anyone planning to reach it by rail is out of luck, for now, and so is Blixseth.
...(continues)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment