HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 3:03 AM

Quote:
After years of trying, inclusionary zoning bill passes Oregon House

Democrats in the Oregon House took the first big step Tuesday to chip away at a 16-year-old law that affordable-housing advocates say has entrenched economic segregation in Portland.

After years of failed attempts, House Speaker Tina Kotek pushed through legislation to kill a 1999 law that prohibits local governments from requiring affordable housing in large development projects.

Oregon and Texas are the only states that currently prohibit what's commonly known as inclusionary zoning.
...continues at the Oregonian.

The full text of the bill that passed the house is here. On reading it I'm actually fine with it, despite my reservations above. Mostly it just explicitly allows local governments to offer incentives to encourage developers to build below market rate housing. I would be totally happy if Portland were to change its zoning code so that there was a base of X', plus a bonus height of Y' if Z number of affordable housing units were provided.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 12:54 PM
obit anus, abit onus

A step forward!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion